Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2005 4:32:11 PM EDT
I don’t normally post new topics, but I guess it won’t hurt to show off a little.

Below is a pic of one of the several “fads” here at AR15.com….it’s a Mid-Length purchased from Talon Arms.

I wanted to have a “shooter” in mid-length form and think this one will be it. I admit I’m a Colt Kool-Aid drinker, but I think this rifle will do a fine job for me. It’s just something to enjoy at the range, and for the ‘ol SHTF if I can manage to keep the out-of-state police from slamming me on the floor and taking it away.

The 1/7 upper was built up by Sabre Defence. It has a M16 bolt.

The lower is a “defender” LMT.

I’m not an expert with AR’s, but I gotta say that you can’t go wrong with either of the manufactures. The upper & lower fit together great…no need for an accu-wedge. My local FFL (who is a bigger Colt Kool-Aid drinker than me) also thought very highly of the vendors that I chose.

The mods that I made are:

side sling swivel (also removed both stock sling swivels)

Magpul trigger guard

Aimpoint M3 scope

Larue Aimpoint mount

ARMS #40A2 B.U.IS.

The sling was a quick & dirty one made up from spare parts from other projects. I set it up for the “patrol” carry. That’s all I think I’ll need.

Anyway, that’s my KISAP (Keep it simple as possible) mid-length rifle. I haven’t shot it yet, but I think it’ll do fine.  Big thanks again to Talon Arms for helping me out.

Sorry for the so-so pic....it's the best my camera can do.

Scott

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#1]
nice!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the pic. I will be picking up the exact same upper (even the BUIS) next Tuesday.

I was planning on using as is until I can afford (and more importantly, DECIED) on what optic to put on. Leaning towards a compact ACOG.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#3]
SWEET
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:49:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, that's what I said, too.

Whoops, forgot to mention, the already-assembled LMT lowers apparently come with the Tango Down pistol grip. It's pretty nice, considering I don't like the finger swell that the standard A2 grip has. It has a storage compartment, too. There's a hinged rubber plug in the bottom of the grip.

The grip also acts as a "Gapper" which no one has mentioned before, at least I didn't see anyone say it. It's an extra bonus, if I hadn't chosen the magpul trigger guard, that is.

I'm really digging the extra length on the handguards...it almost feels like I'm holding a miniture version of my old Colt sporter match HBAR.

I'm really looking forward to trying it out...might be a few weeks before I'm able to reach the range. argh.

Scott

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:31:00 AM EDT
[#5]
VERY nice.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine look like they're tapered. I did a little research and this fella had tapered pins in his Sabre barrel, too.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=241830&page=1

It looks like it's mentioned by a rep of sabre Defence on page 3.

Scott

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:25:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I just got the same upper, my FSB has taper pins.

Mine will probably get an RRA complete lower (sans stock), Larue BUIS, and some coyote Cavarms handguards to go with the M93B and TD pistol grip I have sitting around here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:47:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#12]
OK, you've had six days!

Where's the range report?

P.S.  "I had to work" is no excuse!  Priorities, man!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks really good. Course, I'm a little biased

That Sabre barrel is one high quality piece of equipment.

I'm really glad I decided to get a Sabre barrel over a re-contoured RRA/Wilson.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Bullitt, too cool! Have you weighed it? Either going to go with a light weight 20" or a Sabre middie.  Armalite lists their mid at 7.0lbs and its heavy under the handguards where the Sabre is light.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:13:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks great!  Welcome to the Sabre Mid-length Club!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:56:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
OK, you've had six days!

Where's the range report?

P.S.  "I had to work" is no excuse!  Priorities, man!

LOL! I feel the same way. I do have an excuse. It's kinda O.T. and a long story.

I had a balance/hand/eye coordnation problem (I felt like I was drunk) and put my car into a ditch last month. My doctor thought I had a minor stroke and put me in the hospital. They did a whole bunch of tests (MRI, CT scan, spinal tap, etc.) I haven't been driving or working since. My branch manager won't let me come back to work until there's a diagnosis. He's afraid I'll sue or somthing if I hurt myself.

For almost 3 weeks I've been feeling a lot better. My neurologist is waiting on results from some bloodwork. It looking like a vitamin defencincy problem right now, since it wasn't a stroke, MS, etc. Anyway, I hope that's all it is.

I think I'm in good enough shape to drive now, but I'm just playing it safe until I know what is up.

Portage, I don't have a scale, but I would suggest getting a midlength rifle. I think you would have a lot more fun with it. My Sabre barrel is light under the handguards.

A 20" rifle is probably a good choice if you're planning on a lot of long-range shooting (200+ yards) That's just my opinion, of course.

Scott

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:15:07 AM EDT
[#17]
NICE!!! now you need some rails
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:27:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Great looking middie, bullit.

you mention "M16 bolt"...is that M16 carrier? (LMT version?)

Just curious as to what everyone uses as their combos and how they work out.

has anyone found a downside to the mid-lengths?

For the life of me, I cannot imagine a situation where this would be a negative.
Do they have a higher rate of FTE, FTF? Run dirtier/cleaner?

Whats the skinny?

Signed,

inquisitive
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Great looking middie, bullit.

you mention "M16 bolt"...is that M16 carrier? (LMT version?)

Just curious as to what everyone uses as their combos and how they work out.

has anyone found a downside to the mid-lengths?

For the life of me, I cannot imagine a situation where this would be a negative.
Do they have a higher rate of FTE, FTF? Run dirtier/cleaner?

Whats the skinny?

Signed,

inquisitive

Redfisher, I bought the M16 bolt carrier group from Sabre Defence along with the upper. It has the full circle rear, unlike the semi-auto version BCG's. Legal to use. I would guess that Sabre buys the bolts from someone else, but that's really a question for Talon Arms.

There's quite a few threads about mid-length rifles here in the AR discussions section. Don't know any major downsides, but there's a few positive reasons.

The mid-length gas system is not as violent as a carbine, so the recoil is not as strong as a M4 type, and ejection of cases are not as violent. That would make a rifle more realible over the long-term, right?

The handguards are a little longer, so there's a little more comfort. I kinda mentioned in a previous post.

Bayonet can be mounted. (I know, not a big deal but you never know... )

If anyone has any other positive (or negative) aspects, or if I'm wrong about anything, please chime in!

My LMT lower has a standard buffer in it. Would a H-buffer be an improvement, or does having a M16 BCG negate the need for a h-buffer?

BTW, thanks to Wizzo for the inspiration to add a mid-length to my collection. It has his show-off post(I mean that in a good way)  that helped educate me. That, and he made really good pics of his.

Scott

Edit: Anyone who bought a complete Sabre upper need to dismantle their BCG and check the gas rings. They were not gapped anywhere near as good as I would have preferred.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Just wait till you start fooling around with heavier buffers. The middy shoots really smooth with the standard CAR buffer, but it's phenomenal when you throw a 9mm buffer in there.

Personally, I can't think of any down-sides to the middy system. It does add a couple ounces because the longer HGs and longer gas tube, but with the Gov't profile barrel, that's a non-issue.

I like it so much that I don't know if I'll build another carbine with the carbine gas system/HGs.

That's a funny thing coming from me. About a year ago, I though the middy was just a fad...until I held one. The HGs really give my arms a chance to stretch out a little better.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#21]
The mid-length isn't a fad it's the way of the future...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The mid-length isn't a fad it's the way of the future...

I can't argue with that!

I went to a 25 yard indoor range below Atlanta and fired the LMT/Sabre, along with the G19.

I had to move the apeture on the BUIS almost all the way to the right in order to get my shots to be accurate. Is this normal? I admit I'm not very good at using sights...especially indoors, and having to wear those headphones.

I managed to adjust the Aimpoint in the wrong direction, so it took a few moments to figure it out.

Anyway, I did just fine with the Aimpoint. It's going to be a close-range weapon for me, so I think it'll do a good job at that.

There were no FTF's, FTE's, no problems at all! The LMT/Sabre combination ran great. It's a weapon that I'll trust with my life.

I was using PMC 55 grain 223 ammo. I'm still working on using up a case bought ten years ago.

The recoil is fine... I don't think I'll ever try different buffers. When standing up and firing from the shoulder, recoil seemed to be less when compared to sitting down and firing from the bench.

I had some extra springs, gas rings and ejector in my gun safe, so I put them in the grip compartment. Might as well make good use of that feature.

Scott

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top