Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2005 10:12:06 PM EDT
Hmmm...okay!  I'm buying a RRA rifle from eagle firearms and I'm deciding between the two below...  I have everything down to a science so far...I'm pretty sure of everything I want as far as quad rail, etc.  But now I just don't know about the barrel...

Chrome lined VS Stainless steel barrel!

http://www.eaglefirearms.net/images/AR%20Elite%20SS.jpg
I like that it has a stainless barrel...

http://www.eaglefirearms.net/images/AR_CAR_A4_QUAD.jpg
This one has the Chrome lined barrel...

Whichever one I buy, it will have the quad rail since I will DEFINITELY be adding accessories...but...

From what I heard a chrome lined barrel is easier to clean, you don't have to clean it as often, and it lasts longer than the stainless steel one...

However...I also heard the stainless steel one is more accurate...

Here is my question I guess...

How often do you have to clean the stainless VS the chromed and how much more accurate is the stainless VS the chrome?

In other words...Which should I choose?

ALSO...I read about a 6.8SPC AR-15 and I'm very interested!  Any manufacturers that make it that I could buy it from?  Also, can you still get a 30 round clip for it?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#1]
If the "shine" is not an issue for you go stainless, there more accurate and these stainless wilson barrels clean up real nice. Stainless is also more reistant to throat erosion then chrome moly and throat erosion is what will determine the life of your barrel. While S.S. may not be as resistant as chrome lined, unless your are going full auto I do not believe it will be much of an issue for you.

If maximum barrel life is what matters go chrome, iff accuracy is an issue go stainless.

Hard to say which is more accurate but I would be greatly dissaopointed without sub M.O.A. with the stainless, distance is a factor here as well, the S.S due to the twist would be more accurate at farther distance due to the heavier bullets it would handle. Otheres here will tell you of comparable accuracy possible with the chrome lined but it would be more the exception then the rule as with the S.S.

As for cleaning both should be cleaned just as frequent and both clean up very nice the chrome would take a bit less effort.

One other thing, the chrome has an 1-9 twist compared to the 1-8 of the stainless which would let you use heavier bullets. Maybe this alone will help you decide. Either way, nice rifle, good luck with it.

F.A.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#2]
On the other post I made I had some guys mention that you can blacken the stainless barrel...I'd really like feedback on those who have done this too...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
On the other post I made I had some guys mention that you can blacken the stainless barrel...I'd really like feedback on those who have done this too...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=243125

Welcome to the board
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:15:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hmmm...okay!  I'm buying a RRA rifle from eagle firearms and I'm deciding between the two below...  I have everything down to a science so far...I'm pretty sure of everything I want as far as quad rail, etc.  But now I just don't know about the barrel...

Chrome lined VS Stainless steel barrel!

www.eaglefirearms.net/images/AR%20Elite%20SS.jpg
I like that it has a stainless barrel...

www.eaglefirearms.net/images/AR_CAR_A4_QUAD.jpg
This one has the Chrome lined barrel...

Whichever one I buy, it will have the quad rail since I will DEFINITELY be adding accessories...but...

From what I heard a chrome lined barrel is easier to clean, you don't have to clean it as often, and it lasts longer than the stainless steel one...

However...I also heard the stainless steel one is more accurate...

Here is my question I guess...

How often do you have to clean the stainless VS the chromed and how much more accurate is the stainless VS the chrome?

In other words...Which should I choose?

ALSO...I read about a 6.8SPC AR-15 and I'm very interested!  Any manufacturers that make it that I could buy it from?  Also, can you still get a 30 round clip for it?

I like the stainless because it has a better twist rate, 1:8 rather than 1:9, I think over the next few years 77 grain and up ammo will become popular, you'll need at least 1:8 for that.

As for 6.8... I'm not so sure It would be a smart thing to go with yet... You should also look into 6.5 Grendel... Be warned either caliber could fall flat on its face and end up tosed in the dustbin of "Uneeded ideas".
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top