Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 9:42:42 AM EDT
I want to get a EOtech but I am worried That my front sight is going to be in the way. I can't remove the front sight and replace with a new gas block type because I had Adcoc shorten my barrel and perm. install a flash hider. So I want to know from the guys with eotechs if it's a problem? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#1]
LaRue makes a mount that will get it up higher to fix that issue, so does YHM, and there is also the RRA dominator mount, it's got a fixed BUIS on it. I don't know if the RRA mount will get it up over the FSB though, I believe it does.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#2]
get the larue...

you can also push the eothing REAL far forward with it:

(the gun seems to balance a little better now)
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#3]
The front sight post will not be a problem for you.  Just keep both eyes open when you shoot, and focus on the target.  As only one of your eyes will see the eotech reticle you will only see the one dot.

As for removing hte front sight base, you have several options.  There are folding front sights that can fit over chopped towers (see bushmaster).  There are also rails that fit over them too.  There are also two piece gas blocks that can camp on (see here).  I actually cut off my whole gas block and tower and replaced it with a PRI flip site.  I just unpined the existing, moved it over to the notch in my barrel and then dremil'd it off (no guts, no glory).  I then bent the arms of my PRI just a bit to fit over the flash supressor and install it in place.  Just do it.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I was like you, and thought it would be a HUGE deal to have a front sight in my sight picture while using the Eotech.  I went WAY out of my way and installed a three-rail gas block with a front flip sight, so I could fold it out of the way while using the Eotech.

Well, after I modified TWO of my ARs in this configuration, I realized this was pointless, because now I ALWAYS keep my sights flipped up and just "see through" the irons and focus on the reticle.  The irons just ghost away in my sight picture, and don't "get in the way" at all.  Basically I wasted a bunch of money and time when I should have just stayed with the stock FSB.  

ETA: I like co-witnessing the sights.  Just because they're co-witnessed doesn't mean you have to USE your irons.  The neat thing about the Eotech is that it works anywhere in the glass, not JUST the middle.  So, you can look over the irons, or just not worry about lining up your irons for quick work.  I recommend trying one out before you spend all the money to fix a non-existent problem.

Here's what I've got:

and:

My two latest ARs both have stock FSBs on them, and will stay that way.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

......  I recommend trying one out before you spend all the money to fix a non-existent problem.

+1

Just try it out first.  The fixed original triangular FSB is more rugged than anything else you could ever "clamp" on.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#7]
+1 for the front sight not being a problem
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#8]
It's awesome.  If I focus on the front sight the dot is sitting right on the tip of it (if I align my head right because the EOTech will compensate for parallax, my front sight obviously will not).
Otherwise it's like the front sight isn't there.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+2

besides, being able to co-witness your sights is cool
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I've never had a problem with the front sight in the way.  Mine co-witnesses perfectly.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+2

+3

Thought it would be (like you) - it wasn't.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+2

+3

Thought it would be (like you) - it wasn't.

+4

It works really well.

Gratuitous EOTech pr0n

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys. I think I will just try it out and see. I was just worried that it would be in the way and I wouldn't be able to see what I was shooting. I think I will also get a flip up rear sight like dragonfly228 has. I have to stop looking at pictures of everyones guns. Everytime it cost me more money.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#14]
The RRA Dominator puts the irons in the lower third.  I happen to like it this way, try it or not depending on your tastes.  The irons are still definitely in the picture, but about 15mm under the reticle or so.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's a new one I took 10 minutes ago. I'm aiming at a sign, but it's covered up by some branches and you can only see the sign post on the left side of the front site post. IIRC, the sign(treeline) is about 94yds from my position.

The front site is not a big deal at all. I also have an ARMS #40 flip-up rear site. It's really handy for keeping the EOTech window un-cluttered while doing a little casual plinking.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:02:52 PM EDT
[#16]
The ARMS 40 is another cool thing.  This is a bit off topic, but I notice that if I hold the top of the "horizon line" of the small aperature sight to the top of the front sight post.  making it all level like a pistol sight /  pitch fork, I get POI = POA for ranges 50' or less.  This is really cool if you want to make a precise shot without having ot guestimate hold over height.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#17]
If you keep both eyes open, the front sight fades away, as others hav mentioned.. here's my rendition of the effect:

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Llama, good pic. It needs to be a bit fuzzier with a gradient towards centerline, but that's very nearly what it looks like when you shoot it. It's funky, but true.

In other words, leave the fixed FSB on there and run with it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Larue Eotech mount is well worth the money.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#20]
The more you use your Eotech, the less you will see the FSP.  If you are one of the people who takes their AR15 out to shoot once every 6 months, expect it to bug you for awhile.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:30:49 PM EDT
[#22]
i guess ive been doign it wrong.  ive been lining up the center dot on top of my front sight post as an aiming thing.  should i not do that?

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#23]
keep both eyes open and focus on the target, its weird at first, but then your like ... "woah"
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
i guess ive been doign it wrong.  ive been lining up the center dot on top of my front sight post as an aiming thing.  should i not do that?

I pretty much do the same thing.  I "co-witness" my eotech right on top of my front sight post and use my BUIS (large aperture) as well.  It works well for me from 10 feet out to 100-125 yards so I am not really concerned if it is "technically" correct or not.

Cavu
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#25]

i guess ive been doign it wrong. ive been lining up the center dot on top of my front sight post as an aiming thing. should i not do that?

It isn't whether you should or shouldn't.  It just isn't necessary.  

When sighted in properly the point of impact is where the dot is, irrespective of the iron sights.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:15:38 AM EDT
[#26]
When you shoot, shoot with both eyes open as mention the FSB is fuzzy.  Here's mine mounted forward.  The ARMS #40L BUIS is on the back of the rail.

CD
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:42:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Combat_Diver
I noticed you have EOTech mounted on the fore-end of the M4. I was wondering if it would hold a Zero mounted in this fashion. Also if you are having good results, what brand of fore-end do you have?
The reason I ask is because i am thinking about doing the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:44:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Combat_Diver
I noticed you have EOTech mounted on the fore-end of the M4. I was wondering if it would hold a Zero mounted in this fashion. Also if you are having good results, what brand of fore-end do you have?
The reason I ask is because i am thinking about doing the same thing.

I've got my Eotech mounted on the rail of my Daniel Defense 9.5.  It holds zero because the tube is locked in place by two pins.  The rail is also extremely lightweight.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#29]
It holds zero firmly,  this is it's second deployment.  Its a ARMS SIR #50SC which has three locking bars for the top of the reciever and a collar that slips under the delta ring which then has 4 screws securing it down.  Anything mounted on top rail or forward rail is solid.  Haven't heard of any IR lasers losing their zero on the sides either.

CD
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#30]
The front sight isnt in the way when you look through it unless you are concentrating on it.  Even if it is, just move your head slightly and the dot wont be infront of it. Remember its a holo sight. It can be seen anywhere on the glass.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:11:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Instead of starting a new thread, this looks like a good place to ask this question:

Eotech and Front Sight AND Rear Sight

Anyone running their rifle with fixed front AND fixed rear sights (like LMT or Larue) fixed rear BUIS along with a reflex sight (like Eotech or Aimpoint)?

I can see where the front sight would be focused out, but how about the rear?

I have seen plenty of  Spec Ops rifles in the field set up this way but have never tried it myself.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:40:47 AM EDT
[#32]
I have a standard A2 upper one peice carry handle. I also have The EOTECH HWS. Mine is mounted on a drop down rail ( www.benniecooley.com ) which attaches to the carry handle. The HWS sets between the front and rear sights and directly over the fore-end. I leave the large aperture up and use the sights as normal. When the Eotech is turned off, I close the left eye. When the Eotech is turned on, I leave both eyes open. With both eyes open the rear sight becomes a ghost and the front sight is more of a shadow.
Your eye picks up the red light of the HWS and seems to ignore the iron sights.
You can also raise your head up slightly and look right over the top of the sights when using the Eotech.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I have a standard A2 upper one peice carry handle. I also have The EOTECH HWS. Mine is mounted on a drop down rail ( www.benniecooley.com ) which attaches to the carry handle. The HWS sets between the front and rear sights and directly over the fore-end. I leave the large aperture up and use the sights as normal. When the Eotech is turned off, I close the left eye. When the Eotech is turned on, I leave both eyes open. With both eyes open the rear sight becomes a ghost and the front sight is more of a shadow.
Your eye picks up the red light of the HWS and seems to ignore the iron sights.
You can also raise your head up slightly and look right over the top of the sights when using the Eotech.

Wouldn't that tend to slow you down?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#34]
C4,

I had the same problem. I ended up cutting my FSB off with a dremel tool and putting on a two piece gas block. I use a folding flip front sight and a YHM Eotech riser. With the sight up it's in the lower 1/3 of the eotech window. I recently posted pictures in this thread:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=250482

Wedge
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:00:24 PM EDT
[#35]
?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top