Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 3:47:55 PM EDT
I purchased a CMT receiver with M4 cut outs on it brand new.  Hoever the looks more like tiny knicks then a cut.

Edited to add pictures:

Sorry for the harsh lighting, I was doing this at night with a flash.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics please

Tag
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:17:47 PM EDT
[#2]
uhh without pics there's not much to do here...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't need pics to answer this one.

I bought three CMT uppers a short while ago.  All three had the "M4 feed ramps".  Pretty weak ramps.  It's not that big of a deal to me.  I was just supprised to see two tiny bevels instead of the deeper one I've always seen before.

Still a great upper reciever.  I'll still be buying more of them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't need pics to answer this one.

I bought three CMT uppers a short while ago.  All three had the "M4 feed ramps".  Pretty weak ramps.  It's not that big of a deal to me.  I was just supprised to see two tiny bevels instead of the deeper one I've always seen before.

Still a great upper reciever.  I'll still be buying more of them.

Ya its not that big of a deal, not like I am going to send it back.  I was just very surprised after seeing the deep cuts in that one thread.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got one today.  It matched a Colt M4 barrel perfectly.

They look small, but match up like they are supposed to.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the big, deep cuts some think of are the retarded Dremeled cuts, that reach nearly to the bottom of the receiver.

As stated, true M4 cuts on the receiver are very subtle.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have had M4 cut uppers in the shop from Colt, LMT and CMT.
They are all about the same.  The M4 cuts are very subtle on the receiver.
You actually have to look twice to make sure you are packing and shipping the right parts.

Yes mine are very subtle.  I am just happy that they line up with the barrel realatively well.  At least in a way that doesnt look to bad like ti would cause problems.  Cant wait to get it to the range once the knee heals up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:12:16 AM EDT
[#9]
all of mine lined up perfectly.

the best one was the cmt upper with dennys recon bbl. if the bbl wasnt ss you couldnt tell where one ended and the other started
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:57:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Those pix suggest a very shallow or "subtle" cut

Not sure if it is a reliability +/-, but clearly not the same as factory (C company) machining

I am not flaming them, but those look like they are there as a qualification (yea, we have 'em) rather than designed for enhancing reliability
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:10:08 AM EDT
[#11]
They look just like the ones on my Colt upper...  (Since it is thought that CMT subs upper receivers for Colt, I could have just happened to get a Colt/CMT upper as well.)  

I have several other CMT uppers and they all appear identical, to yours and to each other.    
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:16:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I see no difference between the CMT ramps and Colt ramps I have or have had in the past.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:52:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:22:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I purchased a CMT receiver with M4 cut outs on it brand new.  Hoever the looks more like tiny knicks then a cut.

Edited to add pictures:
209.200.17.142/images/feed%20ramp1.JPG
209.200.17.142/images/feed%20ramps2.JPG
209.200.17.142/images/feed%20ramps3.JPG
209.200.17.142/images/feed%20ramps%204.JPG
209.200.17.142/images/feed%20ramps%205.JPG

Sorry for the harsh lighting, I was doing this at night with a flash.

Everything looks normal.

C4

+2
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The other thing people need to notice is that not all M4 barrel extensions will fit perfectly on the M4 cut receivers.  There were many times, I had to use a standard rifle cut receiver because the M4 barrel extension didn't line up perfectly and would cause more harm then good.  

These pictures show the match as not being perfect but it won't snag on anything so it will work just fine.  But there are times when I see M4 extensions that will catch the bullet.  It's kind of hard to explain.  Maybe someone can post a picture.

One I ordered these two items, the barrel and the receiver, then I thought of this issue for some reason.  I was a little worried before they arrived considering they are from two completely different manufacturers.  But as you can see on mine at least, the misalignment is really the cut not being all the way to the barrel (if tha tmakes sense) so hopefully this wont cause issues, I really think it wont.  I woul dbe more worried if the cuts on the receiver were larger then the barrel extensions, I think then you run into problems.  Or if the barrel overlaps the cut somehow.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#18]
My CMT upper (flattop, M4 cut, too) was ordered from Bravo Co. and and, while the cuts did look a little small while I was fiddling around with it, once the barrel came (Sabre Defense 1/7 middy) the cuts matched up perfectly.

I bet your rifle will still function 100%.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:52:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I've got CMT, LMT and Colt uppers with feedramps in my safe and the feedramps all look about the same as those.  The ones on the Colt upper are so small that I didn't even notice they were there until I was swapping barrels after several years.  I've been running non-feedramped barrels in all three of them for some time now and there have been no reliability issues.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top