Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 3:05:33 PM EDT
Hi,

Will installing a barrel with an M4 extension onto a standard cut receiver will cause any feeding issues.?Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#1]
**opinion**

It shouldn't be a prob...

The issue comes into play when using a cut receiver and a standard barrel.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:40:55 AM EDT
[#2]
anyoen else? thanks ghostring
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:56:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:04:35 AM EDT
[#4]
What Ghostring said.  If you put a standard extension-equipped barrel in a cut receiver, you run a real risk of having the bullet tip catch in the cuts in the receiver.  With a barrel that's cut, that's not a problem.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:57:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What Ghostring said.  If you put a standard extension-equipped barrel in a cut receiver, you run a real risk of having the bullet tip catch in the cuts in the receiver.  With a barrel that's cut, that's not a problem.

And even then the problem is more theoretical and will probably only be a problem if borderline mags are added to the mix.  I've got several thousand rounds each through two different feedramp uppers that have normal barrel extensions and they have both been 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:02:27 AM EDT
[#6]
You will see a ledge where bullets could catch, but the bullet tips should be hitting the lower third of the standard extension so you shouldn't have an issue.  Use iffy mags with weak springs and it may become an issue.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the same set-up so I just used a fine file then moved to sandpaper and dropped the lower edge of the barrel feed ramps to more of an M4 cut. Working carefully it only took about an hour. Then I polished out the machine and sanding marks with a Dremel felt bob. Works perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#8]
M4 extension+std receiver= OK
Std extension+ cut receiver= asking for trouble

There is a good chance that the std extension/cut upper will run reliably for quite awhile (mine did for 1,700-1,800rds) after a certain point, though, I couldn't fire more than 1 round at a time because it was feeding the tips of the bullets into lip that is exposed.

10 minutes with a dremel fixed that, altough it doesn't look quite..........factory

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
M4 extension+std receiver= OK
Std extension+ cut receiver= asking for trouble

WIZZO

+1
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top