Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2005 9:32:11 AM EDT
Have you fired your rifle with and without the Vortex flash hider for groups?  If so please include your results.  I am not looking for "it was more accurate" but testing and data that includes number of rounds fired, barrel type, ammo used etc.  Vortex is supposed to increase accuracy over a naked barrel or other flash hider and I am not sure if that is true or not.  What are your results?  Post pics if you got em.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I wll be trying this in a few months.  I have to get my barrel threaded to install the vortex.  I will post results in the armory forum under precision rifles.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a vortex on my 20" 308 GAP and vortex on my bushy 14.5" HBAR. The Hbar does 1MOA all day long. My GAP does 1/2MOA all day long, would be 1/4 if I shot it more. I've never shot them without vortex but with accuracy like that.....can't complain.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one on my 458 SOCOM

Have shot several rounds with and without to look at muzzle flash.  Have not noticed any change in accuracy.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#4]
So far we have one vote for zero change.  Please dont respond with "my rifle shoots X MOA with a Vortex on it as that proves nothing about the IMPROVEMENT the Vortex may or may not have had.  I put a Phantom on a M4 govt profiled Bushy and got 1 MOA all day long... that proves nothing about the Phantom without a control.

Poll added.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#5]
you need one that says.

most will never see the accuracy change if any cause its rare to even extract the accuracy potential of the rifle itself moreless the increase from a vortex.

there have been some days where i am amazed at how accurate my rifles get and some where im cursing at them, there are also too many variables to accurately test/measure this
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I think anyone can shoot a benched, scoped rifle into a sub MOA group suitable for testing that has ability at all.  A 1 MOA difference would be HUGE and only at the .25 MOA level would it be hard to see.  Anything less than .25 MOA would be hard to make a case that the results were anything other than random chance.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Accuracy improvement over what? A2, A2 FS?

If that's it, yes. A Vortex (or for that matter, a KAC M4QD or the Surefire FA556A FS) will tighten up groups.

On my 16" SS MRP, you could see group sizes go from 1.25" at 100M with A2 to Sub 1" with the Vortex or M4QD. IIRC, the Vortex groups were a tad smaller.  Same day, same range conditions. On the concept gun, the SF FA556A and the M249 Vortex had the same effect in comparison with an A1 FS. At 225M, I think the group sizes went from 2.5" to 1.75".

All groups are five shot, and with an accomplished (sure as hell not me) shooter behind the trigger.

I think it has more to do with how the FS is installed and the consistency of the machinework than the actual FS itself.

With that being said, when I shoot I can't tell a difference, but I suck.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:32:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So far we have one vote for zero change.  Please dont respond with "my rifle shoots X MOA with a Vortex on it as that proves nothing about the IMPROVEMENT the Vortex may or may not have had.  I put a Phantom on a M4 govt profiled Bushy and got 1 MOA all day long... that proves nothing about the Phantom without a control.

Poll added.

You aren't going to see any change. It might improve or degrade accuracy but it will be so small you will never notice.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:37:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Poll added.

You aren't going to see any change. It might improve or degrade accuracy but it will be so small you will never notice.

To the most discriminating shooter, I guess you could derive some comparison.  Not sure how many viable replies you'll see here DevL.  Interesting question though, in any case.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:55:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:08:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Noticed about 1/4, up to possibly 3/8 MOA improvement consistently over an A2 suppressor or plain muzzle on two different barrels, a 20" and a 24".  That plus the absense of flash signature on a 20"+ barrel is pretty nice.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:13:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I say no because the ringing/resonance sound bothers me......  I'm such a baby
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

i heard a lot about this and expected it when i installed my first vortex but never heard it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#14]
My Aimpoint has a 4 MOA dot, so..........
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i heard a lot about this and expected it when i installed my first vortex but never heard it.

Bang...ringgggggggggggggggg.....bang....ringgggggggggggggggggggggggg

It's on an SPR clone while I await an OPS Inc brake.  So I'm not shooting fast enough to drown out the ringgggggggggg sound.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like 15 for no better than a naked barrel and one said it was better.

Over the A2 we had at least 3 people who saw improvement and 13 did not.  

Answer is get a qulaity flash hider and forgeta bout it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I think AK_Mike did a crude test and determined that it did seem to help accuracy somewhat.  Gotta dig up the thread.....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top