BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 10:23:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Fantastic! I have been waiting for this moment. Soon a Commander will be mine.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:26:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Fantastic! I have been waiting for this moment. Soon a Commander will be mine.

I want an entry, but I got to talk to Sully as it's listed LE only.....

I plan on it being the only "stock" AR I own.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:40:54 AM EDT
[#3]
So whose parts are you using to put these together with?  CMT?  LMT?  RRA?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:54:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So whose parts are you using to put these together with?  CMT?  LMT?  RRA?

According to the website Superior Arms makes the upper and lower. As far as the interal parts Sully would have to answer that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:08:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Sweet.

Probably the most practical series of ARs out there. That being the case, I wonder how well they'll play to the ARFcom crowd?

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:19:22 AM EDT
[#6]
NICE!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sweet.

Probably the most practical series of ARs out there. That being the case, I wonder how well they'll play to the ARFcom crowd?

Too plain.  Uncool.
No flip up anything.
No red dot anything.
Needs more cowbell.

Maybe I missed it, but what's the barrel profile?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats, Sully. I remember you mentioning them in class back in March and asking those in attendance not to spill the beans on the internet. I was beginning to wonder if they'd ever be released.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Congrats, Sully. I remember you mentioning them in class back in March and asking those in attendance not to spill the beans on the internet. I was beginning to wonder if they'd ever be released.

I have been observing this take shape for some time now. One of the things I noticed, was Sully was not going to rush things. He wanted everything to be exactly right. Having seen/played with a couple first hand, they turned out fantastic
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Hi Sully.  I also attended your armorers training class in March and remember you discussing your new line of rifles with which you were coming out.  Congratulations!  Is your Commander model similar to Bushmaster's Dissipator in that  the gas block is located behind the FSB and therefore uses the shorter carbine gas tube?  Also, I'm curious about the barrel profile.  I hope it is A1 profile similar to your personal rifle which you showed me in class.  Are the barrels 4140 or 4150?  Are you planning to come out with any other models like perhaps an 16" midlength or 20"?  Finally, do you have any plans to make the complete upper available minus the lower?  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Sully,

Congrats!!!  Good looking guns....when will pricing be avalible?

I hate to be that guy that asks for something that you don't have.....but would you considered adding a 16" barrel with the mid-length gas system to the line up?

I use to be a big dissipator fan, until I tried the mid-length barrels. They are lighter due to having only 1 gas block - front sight post. Mid-Lengths are also much better balanced if using a rail system (rifle length rail system + extra gas block can add a lot of extra weight to the gun). Recoil impulse is gentler than that of the carbine gas system. Longer sight radius than on the carbine gas system. Some advantages of the mid-length:

1) the front sight post and gas system are 2" forward of where they are on an M4

2) the mid-length gas system is slightly smoother cycling than the M4

3) because the front sight post is 2" forward on the mid-length it gives you a longer sight radius

4) because the front sight post is 2" forward on the mid-length is also gives you a longer handguard....not a big issue for smaller guys, but some taller guys like to have the extra room so they can put their hand further out on the handguard (when not using a vertical foregrip)

Just some food for thought.......Good job on the new line of guns, looking forward to them!!!

Take care and stay safe

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:48:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
USMC03,
we have already been looking at the mid length. Our machinists and design engineers are actually working on some prototypes with some improvements.

Our latest release is an A1 Carry Handle (knobless) that we just started production on. It took a little while and several prototype builds to get it perfected, but it looks and works great. We have a few other things in the works.

We have also added two more rifles to the line: a Classic 20" A2 and a Classic 16" light weight, both built on forged A2 upper receivers. Both will come with chrome lined Wilson barrels, built on our forged signature lowers, with Sully trigger guard, and enhanced extraction system. Furniture on the classics will be stock Military black.

Our webmaster is updating the website to show pricing, and we will have on line ordering available very soon, hopefully by the end of the week. This will allow you to order your rifle on line and have it shipped to the FFL of your choice.

CY6,
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
Chief Instructor
TheDefensiveEdge.com
SLR15 Rifles

Sully,

When can we expect pics of the A1 carry handle?  Which apetures are used (A1 or A2)?

Thanks Sully.  I think it's pretty safe to say that your name has become synonomus with the KISS concept, and that's a good thing.

Justin
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:48:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I saw these on the web page a while ago and was most impressed with the fact they are ground up built by operators

Operators with courage, no less. The stock looks awkward, but quite utilitarian and Id be willing to bet, very comfortable and natural when brought to.

Best of luck Sully. I will definitely consider your products/services.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:36:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
On our rifles we are using the Ashley XSpress Same Plane Aperture.  We just got the A1 carry handles in our hands, and they are so new that we haven't had time to discuss among our staff about selling them by themselves, but we will at some point.  My thoughts on selling just the carry handles is that they should come with the A2 sight aperture, as I am a big believer in the large hole for most shooting.  I am open to opinions and ideas so please lets hear them.  I would like to have same plane's on everyones rifles, but I know that some people have other preferences.

CY6,
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
Chief Instructor
TheDefensiveEdge.com
SLR15 Rifles

Forgive me Sully, but I am unfamiliar with the aforementioned sight aperture.  Is it an A2 sight aperture?  By the way, I think most, if not all, would prefer A2 over A1 sight apertures.

You may want to take a look at this thread Detachable A1 Carry Handle Anyone???.  As you can see, the vast majority of shooters who ordered one decided to use A2 sight apertures.

Thanks for your time Sully.

Regards,

Justin
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:20:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
On our rifles we are using the Ashley XSpress Same Plane Aperture.    

Forgive me Sully, but I am unfamiliar with the aforementioned sight aperture.  Is it an A2 sight aperture?  

www.xssights.com/store/tactical.html
Two sizes like the A2, but each is bigger than the corresponding one on the A2.  (A2 has Small & Large, XS has Medium and Huge.)  But the key feature is that there's no zero shift when flipping between them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:02:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
...My thoughts on selling just the carry handles is that they should come with the A2 sight aperture, as I am a big believer in the large hole for most shooting.  ...  

The A2 aperture is certainly cheaper, but IMHO the Ashely is the way to go as there will be no shift in zero when you flip the apertures.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...My thoughts on selling just the carry handles is that they should come with the A2 sight aperture, as I am a big believer in the large hole for most shooting.  ...  

The A2 aperture is certainly cheaper, but IMHO the Ashely is the way to go as there will be no shift in zero when you flip the apertures.

+1
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought the A2 aperture was same plane, that it's the A1 that changes elevation when you change aperture size?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought the A2 aperture was same plane, that it's the A1 that changes elevation when you change aperture size?

Both are on different planes.  It's just more pronounced with the A1.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#25]
This is the same stuff that Randy at Territorial showed me right? He said not to mention it at all so it must be, if so these are works of art!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:18:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
On our rifles we are using the Ashley XSpress Same Plane Aperture.    

Forgive me Sully, but I am unfamiliar with the aforementioned sight aperture.  Is it an A2 sight aperture?  

www.xssights.com/store/tactical.html
Two sizes like the A2, but each is bigger than the corresponding one on the A2.  (A2 has Small & Large, XS has Medium and Huge.)  But the key feature is that there's no zero shift when flipping between them.

Thanks Mike.  Those are definitely larger than standard A2 apertures.  Having said that, I prefer the XS apertures over the A2.  Great choice Sully!

Justin
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 1:31:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#29]
There were a bunch of testers at this past Saturday's MN ARFCOM & Machinegun shoot!
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 11:44:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 5:27:05 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
really, well  just happen to have some free time, just hired another employee and managed to get my weekends back., also have a large group shoot coming up soon, that gang could certainly torture test a rifle.

No one can torture test better then the Wisconsin crew.
I have photographic evidance.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:17:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:11:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Photoman,

Nothing on the internet is real without pics

Sully,

Got a pic of Yeager's Operator?

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:08:02 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
really, well  just happen to have some free time, just hired another employee and managed to get my weekends back., also have a large group shoot coming up soon, that gang could certainly torture test a rifle.

No one can torture test better then the Wisconsin crew.
I have photographic evidance.

I think I could give you a good challenge.

I should be getting my SLR here in a couple of weeks
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top