Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2005 9:24:28 PM EDT
Hello all, I just bought my 1st AR from TRIGGERFIN (man I love this Rifl, thanks Scott), and can see that ammo will be an issue.  I read all the posts on buying bulk ammo and learned a ton, but it got me thinking about reloading.  Is reloading going to save me any real money over buying ammo in bulk?  I know the advantage of finding my own fav. load, but I have never done any reloading before, and am wondering how difficult it is to become good at it.  I think I would enjoy reloading so Im thinking of taking it up.

Any way, what are some good set-ups to start with and where can I find them at the best price?  If i buy a used set-up is there anything I should look out for(do parts of them  wear out)?  What are some reasonable prices for used set-ups?  Is there a resorce for proven recipes for typical set-ups?  (mine is a 16" RRA entry tac with YHM FF qaud rail) Use will be mostly for fun coyotes, prarie dogs, and plinking.  Would like cheap plinking ammo and as accurate as possible for impressing friends.  Im first with an AR.  I tried reading the reloading posts, but really didnt understand what I was reading.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:38:55 AM EDT
[#1]
i been reloading for 50 years !! reloading is not so much about saving money, to me it is about making the most accurate round your rifle can fire.., a single hole group is the ultimate. an AR-15 is not capable of that feat (my opinion) i think the most enjoyable experience in reloading is to find brass, then sort through it for rejects, clean it, lube it  then reload it, different brands of brass can change the ballistics, as well as primers & powders, my first reloading experience was with a Lyman 310 tool, then many different presses, single stage & progressives, if you just want to turn out a hundred or so over a weekend a single stage will suffice, but if you plan on dumping a 1,000 rounds in a weekend you will need a progressive, mine is a Dillon 650 with all the bells & goodies ! (you can get an instruction video from them also)

what to look for in used equipment ? WEAR !! be careful of used dies some maybe out of tollerance from over use, some may have burrs or scratches inside, if you plan on loading a lot, (10,000-15,000 a year) get a carbide resizing die.

if you care to drop me an IM & i'll give you more info
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top