Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2005 8:48:18 PM EDT
Okay, here goes.  I want to buy an AR-15 now that I shot my buddies bushmaster AR-15 I FELL IN LOVE.  I've shot AK-47s before and they don't compare to this gun.  I just need some GOOD ADVICE when I go to buy it!  I was looking at one at Cabela's that was pre-owned (someone bought it, shot it a couple times, and returned it) and that gun was $749 and I thought that was a DAMN good price.  Now my only problem is...I WANT FULL AUTO OR 3 SHOT BURST!  haha  I know there are some new laws with the full auto and i'm not exactly sure how this works.  I wanted a NICE AR-15...i'm talking top of the line...I wanted to know if bushmaster is any good and what I should do here.  The extent of my knowledge is that the AR is a 5.56mm  and the AK is usually 7.62mm (except for my friends weird ass one that's a custom 5.56).

Down the road when I have the cash I would like to attach a nice scope to the AR15 and a flashlight/laser attachment.  My friends dad has a grenade launcher which fits M4 and M16 type rifles along with a couple grenades...hahaha though this is probably NOT a legal thing to have I thought I might buy it from him later.

BOTTOM LINE:  I'm new to this forum, I want advice on what AR15 to buy and from what company, and I also want to know how I can buy one that is full auto (IF I CAN) OR has a switch on it to select: full auto/3 shot burst/semi auto.  I also want to know whether I should get a ported barrel or what little things I should get like...do they sell tritium sites for the AR-15?  HELP!  Thanks guys!

P.S.  The second amendment has definitely become WAY too restricted.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:53:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Go Stag, brand new for well under $700..

NFA items, well someone will be along shortly to fill ya in on that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:53:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to www.ammo-oracle.com

If you have any questions after that come back.  And no, you can't get full auto or burst unless you go through the ATF registration process and then pay about $10,000+ for one made prior to 1986.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#3]
WELCOME to the BRD !!! (Black Rifle Disease)

If you plan to get a complete rifle, on top of the "food chain" are ABC.

Armalite
Bushmaster
Colt

(not necessarily in that order)
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#4]
The list will be shorter if you ask what to stay away from...

"top of the line" WILL run into the thousands.
Full auto will REALLY run into the thousands!!

in the meantime, welcome to the site, get comfy and read, read, read!
There is so much info here, it's staggering...

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Rock River Arms?  Eagle Firearms?  What about those two names I just dropped?  I was reading on another post about them and visited their site.  Is RRA the best?  Seems nice since it has a lifetime warranty!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a flat-top with removable rear sight or carrying handle that way you can use optics and irons without any trouble.  I am currently purchasing a Stag M4 setup for about 700 total.  Remember that you can continually upgrade these rifles so don't balk at only spending 500-800 when down the road you can change every single part out for something a little nicer and have a 2nd gun by the time you are done.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Rock River Arms?  Eagle Firearms?  What about those two names I just dropped?  I was reading on another post about them and visited their site.  Is RRA the best?  Seems nice since it has a lifetime warranty!

You would probably do well with either.
And let me be the first to congratulate you. You've seen the light on something a lot of well-meaning but less smart shooters haven't yet realized.

AR>AK
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#8]
If you truly want the best, you'll need to go custom, or assemble it yourself with the components that you choose. This site is a wealth of info. Take the time and look around, and you'll eventually form a basis to make an informed decision on your purchase.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#9]
yikes stay away from F/A unless you are willing to pay about $10k. and the M203 isn't worth 10-20 if there isnt a $200 tax stamp. basically please read more technical posts before buying anything involving a class 3 dealer.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I must add that any weapons or accessories that might have questionable legallity that you have or know of must be spoken of only when mentioning the boating accident when they were last seen.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:18:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You would probably do well with either.
And let me be the first to congratulate you. You've seen the light on something a lot of well-meaning but less smart shooters haven't yet realized.

AR>AK

OUCH! Hahaha!

RRA and Eagle Firearms are also favorites among the members of these Board. They are good and are reasonably priced choices.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:29:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I think you better stick to semi-auto for a while at least until youve read the in's and out's of owning NFA firearms.  You cant just get an AR with auto or 3-round, theres an involved federal transfer process that can take up to a year and often costs within the 10-12K range just for the weapon.  Welcome to the dark side, theres more evil here than you could have ever imagined or wanted.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:54:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Again...yeah I think the 2nd amendment has really become entirely too restricted.  Right to bear arms should be unconditional... hink
Thanks!

This is the gun i'm looking at getting:

http://www.eaglefirearms.net/images/AR%20Elite%20SS.jpg
I like that it has a stainless barrel...

BUT I like this one too but I just don't know what the Chromed barrel deal is...

http://www.eaglefirearms.net/images/AR_CAR_A4_QUAD.jpg
This one says "QUAD RAIL" and i'm not quite sure what that is...

P.S.  A comment to the guy about the AR>AK yeah I definitely agree...I thought it was somewhat common sense though?  hough
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:33:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I know most scopes will replace the handle (right?) so what scopes are out there for the AR15 and what do you guys recommend?

For optics with no magnification, the choice around here are either Aimpoint or EoTech.

BUT I like this one too but I just don't know what the Chromed barrel deal is...

Chrome lined barrels are favored because it needs less maintenance. Fouling in the barrel is less because of the chrome lining.

www.eaglefirearms.net/images/AR_CAR_A4_QUAD.jpg

Quad rails mean that you have "rails" on the 1, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock of your handguards. This gives you the flexibility / ability to mount / hang optics, lasers, flashlights, vertical grips on your weapon SHOULD YOU WISH to do so.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#15]
My only advice: Go with a 1:8 barrel... I think 77 grain ammo is going to become very popular over the next few years, you'll need 1:8 for that.

You will have to go with a Stainless Steel barrel to get 1:8... Stainless steel will have a slightly shorter barrel life but I really don't think you'll notice, you may want to blacken the stainless steel so it looks like a regular barrel but that isn't hard to do. Saw someone post something about a stainless steel blackener they used to that with good results... Maybe that person will chime in...

Of course, you could just go with a 1:7 Government style barrel, that will handle 77 grain just fine as well.... Just try not to shoot anything less than 50 grains.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:35:47 AM EDT
[#16]
No law enforcement no full auto for you.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:53:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
No law enforcement no full auto for you.

BIGLIPPS! You "wasted" your first post  on the thread of another person !?!
Go out and introduce yourself to the rest of the Board!

WELCOME to the BRD!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:14:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Again...yeah I think the 2nd amendment has really become entirely too restricted.  Right to bear arms should be unconditional...

Anyway...OKAY...semi auto it is...  Now I think I've decided upon a RRA Elite CAR A4 from Eagle firearms!  I like that it has the upgraded optional stainless steel barrel.  What is the whole chrome plated barrel deal I have heard about?  This one I'm looking at doesn't mention anything about that but I was wondering what that's about...  Does that prevent wear and tear down the road or just more accurate?  I couldn't find anything on that...  I think i'm going to get it with the standard carry handle but I ALSO am asking some advice on SCOPES...I know most scopes will replace the handle (right?) so what scopes are out there for the AR15 and what do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

This is the gun i'm looking at getting:

www.eaglefirearms.net/images/AR%20Elite%20SS.jpg
I like that it has a stainless barrel...

www.eaglefirearms.net/images/AR_CAR_A4_QUAD.jpg

P.S.  A comment to the guy about the AR>AK yeah I definitely agree...I thought it was somewhat common sense though?    It's really frustrating though when all these kiddies know what an "AK" is but when you tell them "AR15" or "M4" they have no idea and for some reason think the AK is God....don't get it, I guess they saw too many movies with AKs in them...  I do my research before I buy anything...

i would get the CAR A4 and spend the rest  of your cash on mags and ammo

you more than likely will NOT need a 1-8 bbl or a stainless one; a regular chrome-moly w/ chrome LINING will be more practical and beneficial (now if you are shooting competitions.....)

actually chrome lining is less accurate, but not so much that hardly anyone notices; h/w, it provides the best protection from rusting (bad if salty/humid air/water, easier cleaning, best reliability, vastly longer bbl life--its usually an option for RRA and other brands (except BUSHMASTER, which is standard) but only costs ~$50 as an upgrade, but EF already has that option on the AD you posted

get the regular A3 (flatop) upper; then get your BUISs and optics/mounts
for CQB, i'll second the aimpoint
midrange: check out ACOGs or leupold's CQB
long range/target/etc: full sized scopes, Leupold--but i would consider getting a longer bbl AR for this work....

what kinda scope are you looking to use it for--long range/target work, CQB, mid range, etc?

the 'quad rail' is that HG you see right there w/ the railing for mounting stuff; regular HGs are just plastic w/ metal heat sheilds inside

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I wanted something like a mid-range scope.  It doesn't have to be maximum magnification but I want something that gives me a bit of increase and some crosshairs. hink
Wouldn't a chrome lined stainless steel barrel be ideal?

Also...shoulder straps...whats the best companies to buy these from?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I wanted something like a mid-range scope.  It doesn't have to be maximum magnification but I want something that gives me a bit of increase and some crosshairs.

Check out the ff. types then ACOG, US Optics, IOR. They all thave 1 x 4 magnification. A standard magnification used by GIs in the field (not being a dedicated sniper). But these are pretty much on the expensive part. You can also get an Aimpoint red dot plus its 3x magnifier.

I think I decided on that chrome lined barrel with the quad rails...because I KNOW I'll be buying accessories down the road.  I'm thinking along with a midrange scope getting a laser/flashlight accessory and MAYBE a handle...

Good choice on the barrel and the quad rail! You are now showing the inital symptoms of the dreaded Black Rifle disease!

Wouldn't a chrome lined stainless steel barrel be ideal?

Not sure if there is such a "banana". I may be wrong.

Also...shoulder straps...whats the best companies to buy these from?

Shhhhh .... ummmm, in these parts, we call it a sling .... There are a lot of companies who make them. You first have to decide what type you would like. Single point, two point or the three point sling. Try browsing thru these threads http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=19 On the "AR15 - Slings and Other Accessories."

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I just bought a RRA from Pete, a dealer on this site.  It cost me about $850 shipped, with a match grade trigger, stainless barrel, flat top upper, quite a few nice things.  I've extremely happy with it, and it's a good deal lighter then a lot of others I've held.
D
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#22]

:: drooling ::  that was just wrong to splash that across the screen.  Get my heart beating fast!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top