Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2005 8:31:31 PM EDT
Im nearing my first buy : )

Im going for a RRA - A basic starter ( should be able to pick one up at the show for about 700-800) - I would prefer a detachable handel which brings me to my question:

What is better - The detachable carry handels? or the Forged handels that arent removable - I will want to mount a scope in the near future - But from the parts ive seen - Thats do-able even with the handel right ?

I apprceiate the patience you guys have shown me - Im a newbie I know : ) But thanks

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the detachable carry handle.

If you're going to add optics in the future, you'll be glad you got the flattop and detachable carry handle.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#2]
If you know that you are going to use optics, why not just get a flat top with a flip up BUIS?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Well from what Ive found (correct me if im wrong) The flat top with lip up BUIS is a bit more pricey -

I forgot to mention im getting married at the end of the year : ) so money is an issue right now

Basically im scraping up money from little side jobs im doing here and there - and not taking away from my "actual income"

So I think what im gonna go for is a RRA flat top with detachable carry handel

Theres a gun show coming up at the end of the month - What do you suppose one of those will run (im guessing between 700 to 800) But maybe im top hopeful
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Bottom line is, get a flat top! Then decide if you want a carry handle to use as a your  rear irons. Look around the tacked picture thread. You will see that there are a million choices / configurations you can do with your irons.

Since you plan to have a scope in the future, then a detachable BUIS like (folding or not) ARMS, Troy, LMT and the like are available. In this way, you will not have to buy another BUIS if you decide to mount an optics.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Carry handles can be just as expensive as BUIS, dependant on brand.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Granted! But at least with a BUIS he will not be stuck with a carry handle if and when he decides to mount an optic.

Unless he decides to "chop" his carry handle.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#7]
eaglefirearms.net actually has stag packages where the handle option costs more than the rear buis option.

just letting you know...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Granted! But at least with a BUIS he will not be stuck with a carry handle if and when he decides to mount an optic.

Unless he decides to "chop" his carry handle.

Right, which in a sense can be wasted money. But some people really just like having a detachable carry  handle.

+1 on the flat top Stag with a #40 from Eagle fireaarms.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top