Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2005 6:58:15 PM EDT
I am looking at buying a railed handguard.  I have no experience nor the tools to install one.  I looked at the thread in build it yourself about installing one.  Now the choice is which one along with who can install one so I don't have to buy the tools or spend the hassle of doing it myself.  If you could, show a picture of what you got or talking about for reference.

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, for starters, what configuration are you thinking of putting a railed foreend on?  Certain configurations will limit what options you may have.  Do you have a pinned muzzle break?  What's the length of barrel?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I assume you aren't looking for a free-float?

Here is YHMs non free float, 4 rail, 2 piece handguards that can be installed without any tools in under 2 mins:

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#3]
If you don't have a permanent muzzle device, Larue or Daniel Defense.

If you do have a permanent muzzle device, Troy Industries.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I assume you aren't looking for a free-float?

Here is YHMs non free float, 4 rail, 2 piece handguards that can be installed without any tools in under 2 mins:

members.aol.com/sensasstcweb1/aracog.jpg

+1 for YHM slip on 2 pieces

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's the big FAQ thread about railed forends.

FAQ: The Big Thread On FF & Railed Forends thread link
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:37:52 AM EDT
[#6]
How's the rigidity of the YHMs non free-float, do they wiggle at all with the VFG?  Do they install as regular hand guards or what?

Thanks again guys.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:45:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Do they install as regular hand guards or what?

Thanks again guys.

yes, non-free float handguards install as regular ones
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:04:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I very highly reccoment the Midwest industry two-piece. No tools, but it is very tight, so it will take about ten attempts to get the thing on. Great finish, rail is on the same plane as the upper, T-markings as well, and if ya look hard enough you will be able to find one for under $140. Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:16:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:43:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How's the rigidity of the YHMs non free-float, do they wiggle at all with the VFG?  Do they install as regular hand guards or what?

Thanks again guys.

Mine have no wiggle, and the fit is darn near perfect (on my Bushy).  For installation, a handguard removal tool from Bushmaster can help.  Or you can just use a buddy or man-up and do it yourself.

Edit:  Oh yeah, I've also heard nothing but great news about MI's new line for rails.  You can find the YHMs on the EE for right around $100 new, and as said above, the MIs for under $140.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:22:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I went ahead and order the MI 2-piece 17X handguards.  They are scheduled for delivery today.  I'm heading home after school and work to put them on.  I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:49:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought the KAC RIS II because I didnt have any tools. That freefloats(clamps barrel nut and attaches to flattop.  Some people dont like the upper hump but I think it gives it a cool look. Just limits you to mounting options though.  Thats my vote
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:05:39 AM EDT
[#13]
The RAS II may be more secure because of the hump/mounting to the actual flattop, but I much prefer the original RAS over it.  The RAS II works great with an Aimpoint, not much of anything else.

The Surefire railed forend seems to be pretty popular down here in this area and take ~2 minutes to install and ends up being locked into place with a couple of screws so its tight and doesnt move around.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top