Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 5:05:03 PM EDT
Been reading through posts and found a lot of really good information.  Thanks for that and thanks in advance for any answers I get.

First let me describe what I am looking for -

Looking for a retail model from Bushmaster or RRA.  Also might consider a DPMS (but haven't seen a whole lot of people swearing by them here)   Colts look/sound nice but price..  I don't really care about it being a LEO (actually I'd prefer it not be as it seems those carry a premium)

I would like to start out simple but purchase a rifle that will "grow".  I would eventually want to put a light on it.   After that I'd like to explore optics.  I'm not sold on anything there yet, so I'd like to get one that leaves my options open without breaking the bank.  Only other thing might be a forward grip, but that I think is a minor addition/investment.

I don't know a damn thing about the triggers but I've read the RRA 2 stage fails??  But that it's nicer to shoot?   How big a difference is this?  I guess you can always buy an aftermarket but I'm NOT planning on it right now  (I'm sure the obsession will hit sometime though)

I'd like to get a good set of Iron sites that would be compatible with an optic.

Mid length or CAR length foregrip.   I do not know which to pick, except I do like the "Look" of the CAR.

Bushmaster that I'm "looking" at:
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/bcwa3f16m4.asp
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/bcwa3f16.asp

Will these chamger 5.56 rounds?  I only see that it says .223   How would you get the 5.56?

Any other suggestions?   Which Rock River Arms model?  They all have that "Tactical Carry Handle" which from what I've read is a piece of junk.  Leaning towards the Bushmaster because I'd rather have a good stock handle site than have to fool with replacing that right away.

I'm sure I'll have more questsions as we go :)

Also - would you order online or buy from a local dealer?   Online = worrisome - is it a homemade, has it been used even though they say its NIB?  

Dealer =  + tax

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#1]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=163620--see this chart

most of bushy's come in 5.56 chambering--its posted on their website

read around--there are several topics already answering these same questions

RRA is a good brand; you can also just get a RRA upper and a complete built lower.....if you get RRA/DPMS, get a chrome LINED bbl

get a regular A3 (flatop) upper and just add your BUISs and optics

www.ammo-oracle.com--ammo info

i would order from online sources (reputable ones) check the EE and Industry boards for GREAT dealers and deals on ARs and parts/accessories

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#2]
i just got my first.......22 year wait lol

iam now 37

i got an armalite m-15a2 cb"carbine black" with mid length hand guards...

i got the midlength because ive read "dont know how true" that the longer gas system of a mid

works better more reliable"please dont flame only passing on info ive read" but it seamed logical.

it was a toss up between rra and armalite i just got a great deal on the armalite...

i love it its very solid for lack of a better tearm......
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!!

OK on the mid-length -  I've seen that referenced in other threads - what exactly does that mean?   Is it just the midlength foreend that has the longer gas system?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks!!

OK on the mid-length -  I've seen that referenced in other threads - what exactly does that mean?   Is it just the midlength foreend that has the longer gas system?

Yes. And obviously longer sight radius and handguards.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Armalite shall be my next AR
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably a stupid question:  When buying from a dealer, can you make an offer or do you have to take their sticker price?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top