Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2005 9:14:54 AM EDT
Hey all

Ive been doing some research (im going to attempt to pick up my first AR at the next local gun show at the end of the month)

- I have a few questions that I seem to be getting some mixed questions about

1. Can you get 5.56 chambered AR's ? and how readily available is that ammo ?
2. Hows the recoil ? I know the collapasable stocks kick alot more
And last: I dont think ill be able to afford a complete bushmaster or colt - What recommendations would you guys give when looking for one ? I'll mostly be target shooting with it - But that rifle would probably be my home defense weapon . . . So I would like some "put down power"  - Ive looked into olmypic arms - And Im kinda leary -

I know Newbie questions are annoying . . . . But any insight would be great

There are some beautiful pictures of some beatiful  rifles here in the threads

Thanks guys . . .

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#1]
welcome!!!

Most ARs are chambered for 5.56, you can verify for your specific model.  Ammo is a little tight now due to war on terror, see the ammo forum on this site.

Recoil from a .223 is fairly mild for a center-fire rifle.  It did owie owie some girls shoulder I know though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#2]
1. Most ARs are chambered for 5.56. General rule of thumb is you can shoot .223 in a 5.56 but not the other way around.

2. Recoil? What recoil? No really, even with a collapsible stock it's not bad at all. Like a .22lr on steroids. That may be a little off, but it's not bad at all. If you can't handle the recoil of an AR maybe you should try another hobby.

3. Rock River Arms is a great rifle in my opinion. Cheaper yet still a great rifle. Others will tell you to build one......I say look into finding a complete lower and a complete upeer seperately. You may be able to save a few bucks that way.....building one is definately cheaper, but you might not want to do that on your first. I recommend ADCO for your upper.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Most AR's are chambered 5.56mm. This means ya can shoot either .223 or 5.56mm.
Collapsable stocks don't have any more noticable recoil, however the carbine rifles have SLIGHTLY more recoil.

"put Down power" ?  Not sure what ya expect out of a 5.56mm for 1 shot stops, but all the 5.56 guns shoot about the same at close range.  Research the bullet/ammo type for best  DH needs.

As for what brand, a full gun should work better, or have a warranty from the factory, as opposed to a build gun.  Oly AR's have a checkered review, depending on who ya talk to. Stay away from the original plinker Oly, due to the cast reciever.   Hope this helps. I'm sure not everyone will agree with all I have said. Good luck finding a AR that is good for you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:25:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Get a RRA. It's a great rifle and probably the best "bang for the buck" rifle on the market right now. They come with .223Wylde chambers which can fire both 5.56 and .223. A 5.56 chamber will shoot both also. Many RRAs come with 2-stage triggers that are adequate for target shooting and reliable enough for a defense weapon. Welcome to the board

ETA: I second ADCO for RRA parts. Also, read up on the 5.56 round at the Ammo Oracle--required reading here on arfcom.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:25:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the great advice guys - Keep it coming : )

I will agree that building one scars me alittle - BUT! - there is no greater way to learn than to build . . .soooo im not completely opposed to the thought -

Thanks for the warm welcome - I was alittle worried i might get flamed for newbie questions!

If i were gonna try to get seperate uppers and lowers - what brand would you guys go for ?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:30:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the great advice guys - Keep it coming : )

I will agree that building one scars me alittle - BUT! - there is no greater way to learn than to build . . .soooo im not completely opposed to the thought -

Thanks for the warm welcome - I was alittle worried i might get flamed for newbie questions!

If i were gonna try to get seperate uppers and lowers - what brand would you guys go for ?

Honestly? RRA upper on RRA lower. If you want to build a stripped lower, Stag is good for a little cheaper. Check the EE for parts if you want to build.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#7]
If you are brand new to the AR game, I wouldn't suggest building one (my opinion, but lots of things to go wrong, and the stakes are awful high).  

DPMS also makes some pretty good rifles for the money.  I have one, and it runs with my Colt and Armalite, so it's really up to you.  

Most rifles chambered for 5.56 say so on it.

Recoil is very mild - whether with a collapsible stock or not.  They are loud rifles, though, so don't think they're like your .22 lr's.  

Look at the ammo section for all the info on defense ammo.  Lots of stuff there, lots of opinions, and lots of people will argue that one bullet is better for X than another.  Good luck on that one.

And welcome from another pretty-darned-newbie to the site.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Awesome - Thanks for the info

Actually (im alittle embarresed to admit) but the only firearms i own is a China SKS (Modified)

Hows the recoil compare (im sure alot more mild)

I would imagine its alittle quieter to since its a smaller round
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Awesome - Thanks for the info

Actually (im alittle embarresed to admit) but the only firearms i own is a China SKS (Modified)

Hows the recoil compare (im sure alot more mild)

I would imagine its alittle quieter to since its a smaller round

I've got a Chinese SKS as well. I say the recoil is comparable but probably a little less for the AR. It's been a little while since I shot my SKS.

Also, I would also suggest that if you go with an RRA you should get both an RRA lower and an RRA upper. I've read on here that the RRA lowers can have a tight fit with other uppers due to slightly different tolerances.

Oh yeah, welcome to the site!!  

I forgot to welcome you earlier.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I had pretty much decided on RockRiver before I posted this - So im pretty sure its RRA for me : ) I might post a topic  to all the RRA owners and see how the like them . . .

Thanks again guys !
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I own RRA and Bushmaster--love them both. I use exclusively RRA lowers, but prefer BM barrels. If you get a RRA upper, make sure it's chrome lined, and RRA doesn't make many govt. profiles if that's what you want. Their workmanship is top-notch though (i'd say even better looking than my Bushmaster). You might also want to check into RRA's two-stage trigger, since you'll be target shooting.

ETA: There is not wrong with building your first AR as long as you are willing to learn. I built my first. Get a barreled upper though; I would NOT recommend installing a barrel for your first AR.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I own RRA and Bushmaster--love them both. I use exclusively RRA lowers, but prefer BM barrels. If you get a RRA upper, make sure it's chrome lined, and RRA doesn't make many govt. profiles if that's what you want. Their workmanship is top-notch though (i'd say even better looking than my Bushmaster). You might also want to check into RRA's two-stage trigger, since you'll be target shooting.

ETA: There is not wrong with building your first AR as long as you are willing to learn. I built my first. Get a barreled upper though; I would NOT recommend installing a barrel for your first AR.

+1

stick w/ the ABCDRs for AR brands; there are other makers of GREAT parts (LMT, CMT come to mind) so finding parts or building material is easy
check the EE and Insutry borad for great prices and dealers on the market

read around and USE the search button

get a 5.56 chambering, A3 (flatop) upper, forged lower, chrome-LINED bbl as a standard, stick to USGI mags

read the ammo-oracle

recoil in negligible in ARs in 5.56/.223 caliber in any configuration imo

top quality 5.56 ammo is getting scarce and expensive, expect to pay up to $200/1000 rnds of Federal XM193 (in brown boxes, NOT loose)

good luck, and welcome to the site
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I dont know where you are in IN, but you could post in the IN hometown forum and perhaps meet up with them at one of their shoots and try out some diffrent brands of AR's in diffrent styles and see what you like.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

stick w/ the ABCDRs for AR brands; there are other makers of GREAT parts (LMT, CMT come to mind) so finding parts or building material is easy
check the EE and Insutry borad for great prices and dealers on the market

read around and USE the search button

get a 5.56 chambering, A3 (flatop) upper, forged lower, chrome-LINED bbl as a standard, stick to USGI mags

read the ammo-oracle

recoil in negligible in ARs in 5.56/.223 caliber in any configuration imo

top quality 5.56 ammo is getting scarce and expensive, expect to pay up to $200/1000 rnds of Federal XM193 (in brown boxes, NOT loose)

good luck, and welcome to the site

+2

but if you plan on buying your first then i would stick to the abc(r)'s
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:59:29 PM EDT
[#15]
WELCOME to the BRD !!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#16]
If you are looking to put one together with minimal effort check out www.eaglefirearms.net they currently have specials on complete stag lowers and uppers.  Just buy one of each and you are good to go (about 700 bucks total).  I should have pics and a range report of my all stag build in about 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:44:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If you are looking to put one together with minimal effort check out www.eaglefirearms.net they currently have specials on complete stag lowers and uppers.  Just buy one of each and you are good to go (about 700 bucks total).  I should have pics and a range report of my all stag build in about 2 weeks.

How good are Stag Arms?   I have never heard of them before?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:48:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How good are Stag Arms?   I have never heard of them before?

Always read very good reviews.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:56:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Hey all

Ive been doing some research (im going to attempt to pick up my first AR at the next local gun show at the end of the month)

- I have a few questions that I seem to be getting some mixed questions about

1. Can you get 5.56 chambered AR's ? and how readily available is that ammo ?
2. Hows the recoil ? I know the collapasable stocks kick alot more
And last: I dont think ill be able to afford a complete bushmaster or colt - What recommendations would you guys give when looking for one ? I'll mostly be target shooting with it - But that rifle would probably be my home defense weapon . . . So I would like some "put down power"  - Ive looked into olmypic arms - And Im kinda leary -

I know Newbie questions are annoying . . . . But any insight would be great

There are some beautiful pictures of some beatiful  rifles here in the threads

Thanks guys . . .

Here is a rundown.
This hobby is expensive.
#1 Buy a Bushmaster, Armalite, Colt, or RRA(Rock River Arms).  I also love and recommend Cavalry arms, but the ABC+R is great for a beginner.  Don't vary from those companies i listed.
#2 Buy what you REALLY want the FIRST time. Don't go out and spend $100 on a c-more reddot when you really want an Aimpoint.  Fork out the dough, or save up until you can.  
#3 Don't skimp on magazines.  USGI magazines with green or Magpul followers only.  These are under $20 now, no excuse not to be buying teflon USGI mags with magpuls at all.
#4  Shoot quality ammo.  Some people buy and love the wolf stuff, i prefer spending more and getting good brass ammo.  I LOVE the American Eagle ammunition and it is still widely availible.  See the ammunition thread.  this stuff is great out to 500 yards, which is where i shoot out too.  It is also just as if not more accurate as the M193 ammo.  Don't buy the loosepacked m193 or m855 ammo.
#5 Keep asking questions here and read lots of old threads.  Use the Search feature.  Listen to reputable members.  It won't take long to find out who they are.
#6 Prepare to empty your wallet when you catch the BRD
#7 Enjoy the rifle!!!1
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:26:55 AM EDT
[#20]
NO  to gun show buys- too risky, no customer service to call on, and often you get mixed parts guns of lower quality. GET NEW and go to an AR15.com endorsed dealer (Online)

No recoild to speak of.

ammo is plentiful

consider the Bushmaster offer from this site. SEE IT HERE

and DEFINITELY get the A3  version. You will be glad you did

welcome aboard, r3ydium !!

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:55:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Welcome to the board!  I also second getting a RRA.  Learn it, study it and you will have the know how to build your second (you hang out here long enough YOU WILL get a second).  You will be infected with what we call "Black Rifle Disease".  Symptoms include: buying/stock pilling ammo, mags, putting expensive optics  on and adding anything to it that starts with "Tactical".  Buying multiple AR's because one has a different bbl or feed ramps is also common.

On a serious note, make sure you buy the best mags you can afford that are USGI specs.  Go to the magazine forum for more detailed info.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#22]
+1 to the RRA, Bushmaster or Colt for the first AR. It will be good to have the warranty and the confidence that comes with a "factory built" for the first one.

You WILL want to build one later. Its not that hard and the rewards will be the self satisfaction of creating your own weapon as well as an increased understanding of the mechanicial operation of the platform. I've built 6 so far and don't see an end in sight. (I have a very understanding wife, all I have to do is buy her a Glock once a year and I can have all the ARs I wanthe

Oh yeah....magazines...lots of USGI magazines.

Welcome to the only healthful addiction there is.

Respectfully
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top