Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/11/2005 10:01:46 PM EDT
How you do tell apart a milspec collapsible stock buffer tube from a non milspec?  It is possible to tell simply by looking at it or do I need to measure with a caliper?

And if I need to measure, what should the measurement(s) be?

Sorry if it has been asked, the search feature is kinda hard to use.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Sorry if it has been asked, the search feature is kinda hard to use.

teacher always said, "the only stupid question is the one you don't ask" ....actually she always said that until she met me
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:54:27 AM EDT
[#2]
You can't tell just by looking. We're talking just a few thousands of an inch.

Looks like my CMT extension tube runs about 1.145" diameter for it's length. The non-mil-spec will be a bit larger. I've seen it listed but don't recall what it is. I'm thinking maybe like 1.170" or so.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes you can tell by looking.  Colt tubes have sharp edge where the roundness of the buffer tube turns into the square portion on the bottom of the buffer tube.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought 1.170 is milspec and 1.180 commercial.Thats what my RRA tube measures 1.180.And also Colt type 2 stocks are staright in front of the latch housing commercial ones have an arch.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I measured the OD and it comes out to be around 1.147, and the transition between the "roundness" and the "square" portion of the bottom of the tube seems fairly sharp although I don't know how sharp is sharp, so here's a pic:

By the way this is the old school style stock if that helps.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Why are commercial tubes slightly larger in OD than the mil-spec tubes?  Is there some reason, or was it just some arbitrary decision?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Why are commercial tubes slightly larger in OD than the mil-spec tubes?  Is there some reason, or was it just some arbitrary decision?

It's to drive people like me crazy...
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I measured the OD and it comes out to be around 1.147, and the transition between the "roundness" and the "square" portion of the bottom of the tube seems fairly sharp although I don't know how sharp is sharp, so here's a pic:
img85.imageshack.us/img85/5026/dsc012603dl.jpg

By the way this is the old school style stock if that helps.

That is a colt stock.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm getting a 1.148" measurement on both my Mil-Spec LMT and Vltor buffer tubes.

So from the previous post it should be around 1.145" to 1.148" which should be close enough for government work.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool! Thanks guys I really appreciate all the help.  Now I may sleep at night
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top