Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 7:42:29 AM EDT
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1150&title=GUN-KOTE?%20OVEN%20CURE,%20GUN%20FINISH

http://www.molyresin.com/

these two seem to be the same but the gun-kote comes in a spray can.  Both cure at 300.  Anyone know if they are the same or not.  thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I think that the end result will be better if you use the Norrell's.  By using an airbrush instead of a paint can, you will end up with a much smoother/thinner finish.  just my $.02
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't mean to hijack this but I feel it's a good question for the topic. Is the Brownell's Moly the same as Norrell's but it's just in a can?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't mean to hijack this but I feel it's a good question for the topic. Is the Brownell's Moly the same as Norrell's but it's just in a can?

I'm pretty sure they are different.

I have used both and they smell different, have different hardness and properties. Norrell's is definitely better, the only drawback is that it's more labor intensive since it's airbrush applied, but the results are definitely worth it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Who has an airbrush thingy laying around?  Are they inexpensive?  I would like to spray my dpms to match my new CDNN m16a1 colt upper............oooooohhhhhhh. i like my new m16 clone gun
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#6]
LIQUID TEFLON/MOLY GUN FINISH  From Brownells is about the same as good ol Moly Res.

If you get the dealer discount (get your C&R...) it is about half the price.  I did a batch today with the Brownells "coyote" which is the same is NMR Tan.  

Umm, use lots of MEK to dilute the crap.  

Pix soon.

- Gazukull
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#7]
One more thing, I used the stuff that you airbrush.  Not the shit in the can.

I picked up an airbrush and air compressor for 55 bucks from Chicom Harbor Freight.

This Thread

For more pix of re finished AR stuff.

- G
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
LIQUID TEFLON/MOLY GUN FINISH  From Brownells is about the same as good ol Moly Res.

If you get the dealer discount (get your C&R...) it is about half the price.  I did a batch today with the Brownells "coyote" which is the same is NMR Tan.  

Umm, use lots of MEK to dilute the crap.  

Pix soon.

- Gazukull

Looking forward to it! I did'nt think the Coyote came in liquid. The catalog that I have does'nt list it in liquid, can only.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#10]
So is the stuff from Brownells the same as KG gunkote?  The catalog listing says they teamed up with KG.  Is it the same stuff?  It is definitely cheaper than KG or NMR.  Is it as good?  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#11]
you guys that have used both, wich one is harder?  What about duracote?  thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
from Chicom Harbor Freight.

Norell's.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#13]
My norrels moly resin cinderella story.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=243631
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:51:14 AM EDT
[#14]
NMR is better IMHO.  I only tried the Brownells cuz my FFL bought a ton of the crap and wanted me to give it a whirl.  

The Brownells is OK.

He got a ton of Duracoat too, so I will have that to report on soon as well.

- G
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:13:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Ok the two images show the following:

1)  The whole rifle was done in NMR Tan.  This was done a while ago.

2)  The TDI Rail was done today in Brownells "Coyote".  This was done today.

The images are super big, to show that both in tan / coyote chip.

NMR OD / Black doesn't chip much at all.  The only reason I went with Tan is cuz I live in a big desert.

Let me know if you have any other quetions!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top