Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2005 12:18:51 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies on my previous post.  It helped quite a bit to hear some views.  Now for a few more questions.

I am looking at putting a vertical foregrip on my rifle.  At the moment it has standard handguards.  What are some good/popular rail guards?  I prefer non-free float so it can be something I can easily install on my own, being a beginner I figure this would be the wiser choice.

I also would like to attach a bi-pod.  I've heard a lot of good things about the harris ones.  I've fondled one in Gander Mountain recently and likd what I saw.  I would most likely go with the notched legs model.  Any input on harris or the notched leg style?  As well, what is a decent mount?

Again with the vertical fore grip, what does one look for in one?  Durability, cost, rigidity...etc.  Being that we have a pretty small local gun shop, I would most likely order one "in the blind" without handling it first.  What are some models people go with?

I have an A3 upper.  At the moment I have the standard carry and would like to replace it with a BUIS and maybe a flip up front sight that I could retract when using a scope.  Any problems with leaving the front site base and using a scope with it?  The main reason I want a BUIS in the rear s for easily changing between the scope and iron sights.  Taking off the scope then screwing on the handle would get old.

I have a enough questions for one more post after I get some answers for this one.  Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies on my previous post.  It helped quite a bit to hear some views.  Now for a few more questions.

I am looking at putting a vertical foregrip on my rifle.  At the moment it has standard handguards.  What are some good/popular rail guards?  I prefer non-free float so it can be something I can easily install on my own, being a beginner I figure this would be the wiser choice.
simple non-freefloat would leave you with surfire,yhm, and a few others but there are free-float ones out there that install just as easy

I also would like to attach a bi-pod.  I've heard a lot of good things about the harris ones.  I've fondled one in Gander Mountain recently and likd what I saw.  I would most likely go with the notched legs model.  Any input on harris or the notched leg style?  As well, what is a decent mount?
i like the brms which is the 6-9" swivel harris with notched legs. a decent mount for it would be yhm, fobus, tdi, knights, there are quick release ones as well but price is much more for the later. larue and arms are two i know of. i have the larue and think it does the job well

Again with the vertical fore grip, what does one look for in one?  Durability, cost, rigidity...etc.  Being that we have a pretty small local gun shop, I would most likely order one "in the blind" without handling it first.  What are some models people go with?
i went out a got a tango down vfg and it fits the hand great and it has a sealed tube which will hold spare parts and what not along with a tape switch holder when a panel is removed for lights/lasers.

I have an A3 upper.  At the moment I have the standard carry and would like to replace it with a BUIS and maybe a flip up front sight that I could retract when using a scope.  Any problems with leaving the front site base and using a scope with it?  The main reason I want a BUIS in the rear s for easily changing between the scope and iron sights.  Taking off the scope then screwing on the handle would get old. i recommend the troy buis, its great, low profile, sturdy and everything else. with the front you could get a folding sight but with a powered scope you wont really notice it. with my 2x-3x there is a slight blur that i would have to look for to see it. with higher power scopes its not there.

I have a enough questions for one more post after I get some answers for this one.  Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:54:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Non-ff, a Midwest Industries 2-piece. Its a very solid unit..
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#3]
With a scope 3X and up, you won't really notice (at all once you get up over 5X) the front site. There might be a gray ghost of the FSB at low power, but you won't even notice it at higher powers.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#4]
What are some easy free float tubes to install?  I have no experience nor tools for the AR.  Would I be just as smart to buy a rail and send it in to have it installed?  I'd prefer to do it on my own so I wouldn't have to skip shooting it for a few weeks.

Also, how hard is it for a beginner to change a barrel?  I know you have to check headspace and all so I figure it'd be easier to send it in and get a different barrel put on professionally.  Its a preban barrel with a perm-attached mini-y comp.  It's loud as hell and I'd prefer to put a fh on it.  Otherwise I can always send it in to ADCO and get a new one attached.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out the build it yourself section on this sight. Tons of info on how to change barrels and add a free float tube.

You basically going to have to remove the barrel to install the FF tube anyways.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top