Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2005 6:46:44 PM EDT
Hey all.  Just wanted some opinions on this piece.  I currently have a Hogue grip on my carbine but since I am getting an EOtech tomorrow, I like the compartment feature for battery storage on the Tango Down.  How does everyone like theirs?  Also, my Hogue grip has interference problems with the safety, so I had to slice a part out so the safety would not hang up.  Is this a problem on the Tango Down as well?  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#1]
No problem with the safety on mine, but I don't care much for the grip.  Too small.  I prefer the SPR.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No problem with the safety on mine, but I don't care much for the grip.  Too small.  I prefer the SPR.

Would you say it's comparable in size to the standard A2 grip?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't buy my Tango Down Battlegrip, it came as standard factory installed on my LMT Defender 2000 M4 carbine.

It's small like the A1/ A2 grip but I like it because it doesn't have a finger groove and it got a good non slip texture.

I installed a Stag Arms ambi safety and no problems.

It's a good grip but I still prefer my Magpul MIAD and A1 grips.

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It feels smaller, the A2 works for me, while the TD does not.

You might want to consider the MIAD unless you have small hands.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got one for my Bushmaster M4A3. I had to filedown the inside of the grip as it was too narrow to go onto the lower receiver. It only took a few minutes and it went on fine then. I like it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Rob from TalonArms JUST left my house. He brought me my bolt set that I ordered as well as one of his CAR rifles to show me hands on the difference between the Standard CAR stock as well as the  SOPMOD stock.

He had a Tangodown grip on it and I loved it. Granted I didnt shoot the rifle, only handled it but it was a great grip. I have big hands and shoot 1911s (fit perfectly) but the grip was still sufficient though yes its a little small. It still worked great, plus it has the flap at the top to cover the hole under the trigger guard that will rub on your finger. The MIAD doesnt come with that unless you buy the full kit for like $45 and the MIAD doesnt have rubberizing on it for grip. The tango is like $30. Im going to buy one
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#7]
No need to grind down the grip edge on the safety side, like you do with Hogue.  I just replaced a Hogue with the MIAD.  No interference at all.

edit to add:  No problems with the TD Grips either.  Really just a souped up version of the A2,IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the TD but it is just a little to small for me. I still like it and will use it again. But like others here I have replaced it with a MIAD.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer the Houge. I had one out of the several I have owned that interfered with the selector. The Tango down just doesn't feel right to me. For some reason Houge fits my hand perfectly. That is why i always use them. If I didn't use Houge I would use the Magpul Miad.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#10]
TD is a little small, but it has a good texture that won't "stick". I really like it for closer-in dynamic shooting. The battery storage implementation is first rate.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#11]

It's about the same size, except the bottom of the grip is angled steeper towards the buttstock, so the backstrap is a bit shorter.  I noticed this right away because have long-ass fingers, so I always hold onto the lower part of the pistol grip to get the trigger farther from my finger.  The TD grip is also has a steeper grip angle, though the difference is very small.  The texture on the side is very grippy but not painfully so.

I'd have gotten an Ergo grip or something to fill that in, but I think they look goofy and I also want to be able to shoot comfortably with thick gloves.  Also, I chose the TD over the Magpul MIAD grip because, to be honest, I felt I had enough things to play with on my new carbine.  I liked the simplicity of the TD grip, no parts to lose in my AR parts box.

The other main reason I chose the TD grip is the little duckbill thing that does the same thing the "gapper" does, to prevent middle finger blisters.  It works good.

No problems with the safety.

Im very happy with my TD grip, even though it isn't as "cool" as the MIAD grip.

I had to filedown the inside of the grip as it was too narrow to go onto the lower receiver.

- Mine was like that too, but I chose to muscle it on instead of altering it.  It just takes more oomph.  It looked like the sides of the grip there were angled inwards a bit, I thought it might be intentional.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#12]
TD grip is about the same as the A2.

TD grip is the only water tight storage available.

TD grip is not a target grip like the SPR... and SPR grip is not what comeon the SPR, it is made by Sierria Precision hence the SPR name...that is at best a target bench grip only good for a precision rifle.

TD compare to the MIAD is a personal preference... My favorite, TD with MIAD trigger guard.

TD will not interfer with any weapon functions at all.

And TD is free of any finger groove which can get in the way if you are doing transition work in a close up fight.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#13]
My favorites are the TD with the Junior sleeve, and the MIAD with the fattest backstrap.   The Sierra is comfortable for a weapon that you don't normally transition to weak hand with (SPR, Bull Barrel 24", etc.).     My Sierra has been moved to the Colt LMG, where it works just fine.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#14]

I like the finger grooves and palm swell of the Hogue, but I use TD b/c of the "gapper" feature and storage.

A TD with finger grooves and a slight palm swell would be perfect for me.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
A TD with finger grooves and a slight palm swell would be perfect for me.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top