Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 4:33:22 PM EDT
I'm sure this is a Noobie Question, but thats exactly what I am, a noobie! I'm looking to build/buy my first AR. I like the carbine look, but I am having probs deciding between a M4 or 16" CAR kit. (Namely the JT Dist DS-4 or 16" CAR) I like the flat top upper and plan to add a scope, but the barrels are thowing me off. Seems like the M4 style rifles have that long flashhider/brake attached to make it a legal 16" while the CAR barrel is just a plain 16" barrel.Does the shorter barrel with attached flashhider work just as well as a standard 16" barrel? Is it for looks or does it serve a purpose? I like to look of the CAR barrel, but I've seen A LOT of the M4 style barrels on this forum, so there must be something to it. I've seached thru the threads over that last couple days and couldn't find a definite answer. Please excuse my lack of (or incorrect use of) technical terms, but I need some professional advice! Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#1]
the M4 bbl does not have a long FH/muzzle device, it simply is like the 16in carbine bbl, only w/ the cut outs for the M203 grenade launcher and lighter under the HGs--both are avaiable w/ a short, standard FH (A2, A1, or a phantom, ect)

are you talking about the colt commando rendition w/ the 10.5 in bbl and the 5.5 in FH?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Ahhh! Maybe I have been confusing the "step-down"? in the barrel, right after the frnt sight as the begining of the flashhider? Not talking about a commando, just the two different style barrels that JT sells.  OK, but what purpose does the step-down serve?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#3]
The step down type is the M4 barrel.  

Its should look something like this.....

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ahhh! Maybe I have been confusing the "step-down"? in the barrel, right after the frnt sight as the begining of the flashhider? Not talking about a commando, just the two different style barrels that JT sells.  OK, but what purpose does the step-down serve?

That is the cut out ALPHAGHOST is talking about, it is where the M203 grenade launcher is mounted...

ETA: Picture borrowed from Stickman,

Thanks Stickman
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Just makin' sure! Hey Thanks! I really appreciate the info. You guys have shined a light on the ignorant of this world, namely ME!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Dafixer
There are both 16" and 14.5 inch M4 barrels.
You can also get the lightweight barrel in these lengths,
but the 16" is by far more common. Of course, you would have
to fix a permanent f/s to the 14.5, unless you go the SBR route.

I would go with the M4 look, based on nothing more
than personal preference.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
That is the cut out ALPHAGHOST is talking about, it is where the M203 grenade launcher is mounted...

ETA: Picture borrowed from Stickman,

uploadx.net/file/?id=rdrxlKU=

Thanks Stickman

No problem, I'll take credit for the assist.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:06:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Unless you anticipate mounting a M203 style launcher under the barrel it's basically a cosmetic issue. It's going to be your rifle, pick whichever style you like best. You're the one who is going to see it everyday, not us.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:33:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Dafixer

That depends, where is AGO?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dafixer

That depends, where is AGO?

Good point. They could have different laws in AGO.
Unless, of course, this is a time traveling post.
I am not sure of the firearm laws from long ago.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#11]
It took acouple of days to figure out the AGO ref. Turns out it was right there under my name! After an examination of my profile AGO is Angola. Not from there, North Carolina would be more accurate!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#12]
To simplify things, you basically have three choices:

CAR - heaviest, stiffest barrel. Theoretically the most accurate, but there are a lot more variables to accuracy than just rifle weight and barrel stiffness.

M4 - Has a little material milled off under the handguards and a notch cut in front of the sight. A bit lighter than the CAR. Many folks like the look of these because the look just like the carbines the military and SWAT guys use.

SuperLight - Machined down over the entire length of the barrel. Lightest weight. Not as stiff though. Might be more prone to change point of impact as the barrel gets hot with rapid fire shooting. Cools off quickest though.  

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top