Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2005 10:52:54 AM EDT
I'd like to change my stock A2 build to a flat top build.  I just want to replace the carry handle A2 upper with an A3 or A4 upper.  Is there anything I need to know before making the swap?  I will be having a gunsmith actually do the swap for me, but are there any problems I may run into in changing the upper?

Also, what is the difference between an A3 and A4 stripped upper?

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#1]
AFAIK A3 and A4 uppers should be the same.

btw,some say you need a F marked front sight post.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#2]
No problems. Very easy job. It should not take more than 20 min. What kind of upper and barel? The A-3 is the colt designation for the flat top. The A-4 is i belive the milatery designation. No real difence. You will find adding a optical or electonic sight much simpler. Have fun.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#3]
No difference between A3 & A4, read this post
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an Olympic Arms kit around a RRA stripped lower.  Everything works great, I just want to move to a scope and don't like the mount for the carry handle.  Is this something I could do at home?  I put everything together on the rifle, except the upper came complete.  Would I need to get a head space gauge?

thanks for all the quick replies.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#5]
check out the build it yourself section and the tacked threads there for all the instructions
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#6]
The headspace is set in the barrel and doesn't change so you don't have to worry about that.  If you use a backup iron sight your front sight post will be too low.  You'll either need to replace the FSB with an "F" one (hard) or replace the sight post with the Bushy .040" taller one (easy but cheesy).
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#7]
will the front sight post be in the way of the scope?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top