Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 7:29:10 AM EDT
My gas key came loose and Bushmaster was gracious enough to send me a new gas key (free of charge) along with screws. Bushmaster insisted that staking the key is a simple procedure and thay even I could do it and that I needn't was cash on shipping to the part to them.

I have a table vice and some wood blocks to hold the bolt carrier in place. I also have a mallet. I do not have a chisel, however.

Please direct me as to what type and size of chisel would be most appropriate for the procedure.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:45:46 AM EDT
[#1]
what ever should do, chisel, punch, screwdriver..........

check the troubleshooting forum or use your search function
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#2]
okay... when I searched the first time I did not see it.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=236921

Alas, it still doesn't really answer my question-- which is, what is the preferred staking tool.

Thanks anyway.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Preferred tool is a dedicated machine, but the field-expedient preference is apparently a center punch.

I just haven't been able to find a center punch that's tapered sharp enough yet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Use a flathead screwdriver, put it at roughly a 45 degree angle, and strike sharply.  You don't need to move much metal.  Do it from opposite sides.  

A screwdriver will work as well as anything else, and while I have the proper staking tool, you can't tell the difference after both have been used.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:41:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Use a flathead screwdriver, put it at roughly a 45 degree angle, and strike sharply.  You don't need to move much metal.  Do it from opposite sides.  

A screwdriver will work as well as anything else, and while I have the proper staking tool, you can't tell the difference after both have been used.

+87

It's not a critical operation.  Don't over think it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Great input guys, thanks!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top