Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/8/2005 8:13:56 PM EDT
I was thinking about geting a 7.62x39 ar15 from model1sales. I like my .223 from model1sales so im thinking about a 7.62x39. I want to know if it is accurate and what different parts do i need for this. lower reciver mags stuff like that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:31:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Before buying a 7.62x39 upper, find out if it uses a .308 barrel.  Some US manufacturers use a .308 barrel for 7.62x39, instead of the correct barrel (.310?).  Could cause problems when using surplus ammo.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:54:24 AM EDT
[#2]
My father have a Colt 7.62 X 39 and it's more accurate than my AKs.

His only problem is finding good magazines that work.

The only magazines that work are frankenmags and they're sort of hard to find.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:53:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 11.5 in upper from Model 1.  NO problems.  works great, shoots great, looks great.  I'm using it on my RR m16 lower.  Buy some GTECH/DPMA mags, (I bought mine with a WTB ad on EE).

Generally I shoot the brass 7.62x39.  Model 1 will tell you they recommend the Vector ammo.  I bought and shot up a case.  Now I just use cheap Russkie ammo, still no problems.  I'm guessing breaking in the throat/barrel with the brass ammo might have helped?  YMMV

Buy one, lots of fun, and lots more recoil and flash.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I got the pistol kit from M1S in 7.62x39 and have been very happy.  I worked the bolt carrier a couple of hundred times before firing it to polish up any roughness and make all the parts fit each other nicer and have been having a blast since.  I have one of the plastic 10 round mags and other than not having a bolt hold-open follower it works just fine.  I have some 30 round metal and plastic mags, but they will only hold about 10 rounds anyway.  I'm thinking of just finding some more of the smaller capacity USGI mags and just staying with them.  If the mags are not an issue for you, then there is little I can see to dissuade you from this caliber.  Other than that it's just not the real-deal, gen-u-wine, original 5.56 thing.  I also like that the 7.62 ammo is even cheaper to buy than the 5.56 stuff and I runn Barnaul ammo in it.  Runs great, hits the gong at 200 yds and seems fairly clean and reliable.  

My only complaint is that I would like to get something like a Phantom for it, but does anybody make a new FH for the 7.62 barrel?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:19:43 PM EDT
[#5]
DPMS makes a FH, but with standard AR threads (1/2 x 28) and that doesn't fit my barrel. I forget how mine is threaded ? x 36. I'd REALLY like to know an alternative source.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a .308 Phantom for the AR-10, with 5/8x24 threads.  That also happens to be what is considered the standard thread for the new 6.8 Rem SPC, but Model 1 Sales chose to make their 6.8 barrels with a 1/2x36 thread muzzle.  I wouldn't be surprised if they make their 7.62x39 barrels with a 1/2x36 thread muzzle, since that is (if I'm not mistaken) a standard thread for the 9mm AR carbines.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#7]
The thread pitch is also 1/2x36 on Colt's 9mm and 7.62x39 AR15s.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top