Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 3:42:50 PM EDT
I would like to buy a 14.5" upper or SOCOM barrel, but I am concerned that I would be in possesion of an NFA SBR until I permanently attached an extended A2 FH. What is the law on this? I did a couple of searches, but didn't find what I was looking for.

What I would do is buy the rifle or barrel, and as soon as feasible permanently attach an extended A2. I can do that myself. In the mean time am I in violation of the law and or the NFA? Thanks, Andy
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:47:38 PM EDT
[#1]
*not legal advice*

I believe you'll be fine with just a barrel, FS or not.
This isn't considered "readily able" to complete an SBR'ed rifle.

Short story?
Just get a Phantom or Vortex on there asap, and they have nothin' on you!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I would like to buy a 14.5" upper or SOCOM barrel, but I am concerned that I would be in possesion of an NFA SBR until I permanently attached an extended A2 FH. What is the law on this? I did a couple of searches, but didn't find what I was looking for.

What I would do is buy the rifle or barrel, and as soon as feasible permanently attach an extended A2. I can do that myself. In the mean time am I in violation of the law and or the NFA? Thanks, Andy

This is just for info and not legal advice.

You could have a barrel under 16" in your possession but you may not have any AR-15 lower receiver at the same address.

If you have a lower receiver you must move it somewhere in a different address like your friend, relative, or gun shop while you have your short barrel in your house.

You could buy the barrel and permanently attach a FS first and later get the rest of your components.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I have no clue but why not just buy a barrel that already has the Phantom permanently attatched? Like this one from CMMG Inc.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Ghost, You're right about the barrel not being readily convertible to an SBR, compated to a complete upper.

Alfa: So if I pick up an upper and take it to work where I have no gun parts whatsoever I'd be okay? I can do that. The friend that will help me drill and weld the ext. A2 doesn't have any guns either.

Blanco: Here are some clues for you. Because I don't want a Phantom, I want an extended A2. I haven't seen any SOCOM barrels w/ ext. A2s installed and I have come across some great deals on some 14.5" uppers w/o a permanently installed FHs.

Thanks All!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Alfa: So if I pick up an upper and take it to work where I have no gun parts whatsoever I'd be okay? I can do that. The friend that will help me drill and weld the ext. A2 doesn't have any guns either.

Yes you should be fine. Don't forget to wear safety goggles or glasses when welding.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I just sold a Socom barrel with a pinned on Phantom. Send it to Adco and they will work their magic.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top