Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/8/2005 2:33:56 PM EDT
What makes a Recce a Recce? Barrle length? Optics? And whats Recce stand for?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#1]
it's short for reconnaissance.

I believe it's a precision 16" rifle used "if the opportunity arrises..."
Usually running magnified optics and bipod, IMO, basically a low drag sniper rifle?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Generally speaking, it's a carbine length, precision weapon.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:37:25 PM EDT
[#3]
C'mon mongo001, bust out some pictures
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#4]
pics!!! post pics!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#5]
This rifle has a hand lapped, or should I say hand polished bore in a stainless steel barrel.  It easily shoots 1.5 MOA at 600 yds with my clumsy ass behind the wheel.  It would not be optimal for full auto ops, but it would be more than adequate for precision fire support out to 600yds.  If I could read wind better, it may do a smidge better, but when someone spots for me and I'm on my game, it's easily minute of torso out to 600.

Click the thumbnail, it's the best pic I have available.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice rig.
Is the SPR different than the Recce or one in the same?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Nice rig.
Is the SPR different than the Recce or one in the same?

The SPR as the military defines it is an 18" barrel.  The RECCE seems to be a 16" or less barrel.  Both are precision platforms.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#9]
That is a nice ass rifle mongo. Damn it why didn't anyone nominate one of Mongo's to the AR15 of the month thread? All this talk of him winning every month and no nominations. I may have to nominate that bad boy next month.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool, so I have a Recce???

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Technically a RECCE is shorter than an SPR, but in the way I use the term, if it has an optic that is suitable for use up close, like a short dot or ACOG, its a Recce, and if it has a high magnification scope its an SPR.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#12]
The RECCE is mainly MUCH lighter and somewhat shorter than the SPR...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Here is my version...... I still need that bipod.

JIM
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:53:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
img365.imageshack.us/img365/9413/dscf00084rz.jpg

Here is my version...... I still need that bipod.

JIM

Are you serious

Looks too me like nothing more then a flattop Carbine with a scope.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Looks too me like nothing more then a flattop Carbine with a scope

But it has a side mounted sling swivel.........

I guess mine's more of a 16" SPR-ish carbine.  If only I had the $$$
for and SN-4

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:33:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I always thought it was the peanut butter in the middle.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Is there a certain barrel profile that makes a Recce or SPR?
They look kinda like a regular HB carbine
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Jeezus...buy a membership and do a search people.

Holy 2004 and 2002 all over again.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Jeezus...buy a membership and do a search people.

Holy 2004 and 2002 all over again.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#20]

A "recce" is what the SPR was before the pencil-pushers got ahold of it.  Here's my take on it:

ETA:  Ease up Lumpy, this gives us a chance to show off our toys in yet another thread!

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I was under the impressiom the SPR and Recon Rifle were two seperate entities and Crane scrapped the Recon which the SEALs requested and gave them the SPR which was the desired upper that another branch wanted.  The SPR was supposed to be an upper and not a complete rifle and the Recon was supposed to be something else and was never built at all.  The SPR became a full rifle and the Recon was never issued and is just a "concept" and not a numbered peice of hardware.  Is this not the case?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I was under the impressiom the SPR and Recon Rifle were two seperate entities and Crane scrapped the Recon which the SEALs requested and gave them the SPR which was the desired upper that another branch wanted.  The SPR was supposed to be an upper and not a complete rifle and the Recon was supposed to be something else and was never built at all.  The SPR became a full rifle and the Recon was never issued and is just a "concept" and not a numbered peice of hardware.  Is this not the case?

Wes @ MSTN has been seeing RECCE's since 1999.  They predate the SPR by a year or two, and I understand that many operators prefer the shorter RECCE to the SPR.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:43:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

That sounds mostly right to me.  From what I've heard, the "recce" was never standardized like the SPR's were.  They were just something the operators and/or their armorers kinda threw together because they wanted something with a little more reach than an M4.  Then when they got the SPR, most of them felt that for the extra cost, weight, and length they might as well use the Knight's 7.62.

I think the whole "recce" concept has really kinda reached its peak right here at arfcom, more than it has in any branch of the service.  

But for my money, it's the best balance of accuracy and "handiness" in a general purpose rifle that shoots 5.56.  It's long enough and short enough, accurate enough and reliable enough....  Not perfect for anything, but pretty darn good at everything that a 5.56 can do.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:06:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
It easily shoots 1.5 MOA at 600 yds with my clumsy ass behind the wheel.  

That is a great looking shooter, mongo

.......but 1.5 @ 600 ?

I didn't know it was possible to squeeze that type of precision from a 16.

But if it is, I would expect it to look something like that one!

sweet!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:29:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
.......but 1.5 @ 600 ?
I didn't know it was possible to squeeze that type of precision from a 16.

If you're using optics, then barrel length has nothing to do with accuracy.   And he did say 1.5 MOA which is 9" groups @ 600yds, not 1.5" groups @ 600yds.  

My take on the Recce is that it's a carbine with magnified optics*, and a 16", free-floated, better-than-rack-grade barrel to give it a bit more edge on longer shots over a standard issue M4 without going to a full-size rifle.  My understanding is that's what the SEALs asked Crane for, but somebody got the idea to combine that request with one from the Army to save money and the result became the SPR, which wasn't what the SEALs wanted.

*=In my mind "magnified optics" here means an ACOG w/BAC like the TA31, not a 3-9x like the SPR.  But not an Aimpoint or EOTech either.  The Recce has to perform well in the same short range role as the M4.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top