Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 1:59:34 PM EDT
How does it work?  I've never seen anyone with one and I was wondering if anyone has tried it or uses it primarily.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Why wouldn't it work?  

Rich
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:32:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Why wouldn't it work?  

Rich

I meant how does it work for the Individual using it.  Not, "Does that thar thang werk?"
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a few Aimpoints on 20" rifles in this thread.

Pics of 20" AR's thread link

There's also lots of pics at the Optics, Mounts, and Sights forums link below.

Optics, Mounts, and Sights forum link
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Stole the idea. It works great.

And I have seen a lot of Iraq combat pics with an Aimpoint on an A4.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I do, works great.  No complaints.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm trying to figure out a way that 4" of barrel could make a difference in how an optic performs and nothing comes to mind.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm trying to figure out a way that 4" of barrel could make a difference in how an optic performs and nothing comes to mind.

I don't understand some of you guys...I ask if anyone has one and how they like it on a 20" rifle and you act like I'm asking if it works or not.

Quoted:
Stole the idea. It works great.

And I have seen a lot of Iraq combat pics with an Aimpoint on an A4.

Can you achieve a co-witness with that mount and your buis?  Cool rifle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:47:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yes.

Um, yes. It cowitnesses fine. All the dimensions are the same, only the barrel length has changed. Oh, and of course the sight radius.

I like rifles, but I'm tall and a rifle feels good to me. I do like the A1 length stock better, and the Vltor is the best cheek weld I've found on a fixed stock. The barrel is a 1/7 Bushmaster govt. profile so the weight is not to bad. I've avoided rails because I like to keep the weight down.

I can see no reason to not want an Aimpoint on a rifle, unless you mounted magnified optics.

And to the original poster. I like it a lot. Its light and fast. There is a twin to this rifle on the site someplace built with a Colt lightweight barrel. That would be one fast and fun shooting gun.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why wouldn't you be able to co-witness?

I obviously don't have an Aimpoint on me 20" rifle and I was asking if you could co-witness with that particular mount.  
It's odd that I'd actually have to explain that I don't know about the subject seeing as I was the person who asked the question in the first place.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It's odd that I'd actually have to explain that I don't know about the subject seeing as I was the person who asked the question in the first place.

Try seeing it from out perspective.  It seems odd to us that anybody would think that a few inches of barrel would make a difference to the usability or performance of the sighting system.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:41:47 AM EDT
[#13]
A4gerys

More A4gerys

Lots of 20" and 18" jobs here.
My A4gery is in there with the M68.  Works fine, but I don't carry it with me every day because my M4 works better for what I need.  If have the room the 20" is just fine.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:40:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes - it works fine and co-witnesses perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:39:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Why wouldn't you be able to co-witness?

I hate to see a guy who is trying to find info on this site berated by not only some members, but the moderator also.  That's bad PR for the site and firearms in general.  Guess he shoulda just known where to find the answer, and not bothered the smart-a$$es out there with his question (since you know everything - he should too)?  

If he knew why it would/wouldn't co-witness, maybe he wouldn't have asked.  It seems that if you think a question is beneath you, just don't answer.  Maybe he'll learn something from people who are willing to answer, and he might want to come back and learn more instead of being gun-shy about asking a question.  He didn't ask why the sky was blue, he asked a real question about AR's and their sights.

I hope some of you don't have kids or aren't responsible for teaching people anything.  I think this sort of response is immature and counter-productive.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#16]
And I hate to see people who don't bother to apply some critical thought and don't try doing some research.  Is there anything about an extra 4" of barrel that could prevent the sight from being faster and easier to use than iron sights on the same rifle?  Is there anything about an extra 4" of barrel that could have anything to do with whether or not the iron sights can be seen through the optic?

The M16A4 with M68 CCO (aka 20" flat-top M16 with an Aimpoint) is the current standard issue rifle for USMC combat units and is used by all of the other branches as well.  There's one shown in about every fifth picture of US troops in Iraq or the 'Stan.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
And I hate to see people who don't bother to apply some critical thought and don't try doing some research.  Is there anything about an extra 4" of barrel that could prevent the sight from being faster and easier to use than iron sights on the same rifle?  Is there anything about an extra 4" of barrel that could have anything to do with whether or not the iron sights can be seen through the optic?

jesus fucking christ give the guy a break, he wanted to know how it works out for the user
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I have an Aimpoint on my 20" barrel. Works great.  Co-witnesses with no issues.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
And I hate to see people who don't bother to apply some critical thought and don't try doing some research.  Is there anything about an extra 4" of barrel that could prevent the sight from being faster and easier to use than iron sights on the same rifle?  

I don't know jack about co-witness setups.  I thought that a longer sight radius might make a difference.  I have never even used or really needed optics on an AR.

I was trying to find info from people who use a Aimpoint on their 20" rifles.  I am torn between an Aimpoint and a ACOG.  I have really good eyesight and I can see human sized targets much farther than 5.56 can touch so I was considering an Aimpoint over an ACOG because the magnification is not an issue and my main need for the sight would be for low light shooting.

I've researched both sights quite a bit and I think everyone on Arfcom knows that people love AGOC's on their 20" ARs.  I hadn't seen any topics on Aimpoints on 20 inchers.

I asked the question to people who use this setup.  You have been unhelpful and rude.  Like SPDSNYPR said, "this sort of response is immature and counter-productive."
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The M16A4 with M68 CCO (aka 20" flat-top M16 with an Aimpoint) is the current standard issue rifle for USMC combat units and is used by all of the other branches as well.  There's one shown in about every fifth picture of US troops in Iraq or the 'Stan.

Again if he would have known the answer, he probably wouldn't have asked.  That's the nature of problems: you don't realize that small differences will affect something until you get there.  He saw a difference, and asked if this set-up would work.  

And again, maybe the rest of us aren't as smart as you.  Maybe he doesn't know how to use the site as well as you.  Hell, you might just point him in the right direction and get him set up with the right link that will answer his question (many of which non-members can't access - and I am wary of becoming a member because of people like yourself who go out of your way to be rude - if you guys were nicer, you might already have my money and loyalty).

PS, do you like it when I talk to you like that?  If not, then please try to be nicer, or just keep your derogotory comments to yourself about people who don't meet your high standards of posting requirements.  Spend your expert time trying to teach people instead of being rude.  You might just like yourself a little better tomorrow.  We might also.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
How does it work?  I've never seen anyone with one and I was wondering if anyone has tried it or uses it primarily.

Sorry for some of the rude or unhelpful comments on this site. Most of the time you can get the info you need without too much hassle. As for your question, I used to run an aimpoint M2 on my 20 A2 Bushmaster. I would have prefered an Acog for a little more reach and precision, but the Aimpoint is super fast. I went back to shooting irons on the A2 and use the Aimpoint on my 16" carbine. I think the choice is really just about personal preference/end usage. The Acog will allow a sharp magnified target, while the Aimpoint is quick and easy for man sized targets out to 200 yards.

Hope this helps.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top