Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/8/2005 6:54:17 AM EDT
Alright, I live in an state where the AWB never died (CT).  I can't have a collapsible stock.  Now my upper is a 16" M4 style and I want it as an uber-tactical rifle, so a shorter stock is very appealing to me.  The problem is that I'm worried that it won't be shootable with a stubby stock -- in that I won't be able to put it on my shoulder and shoot it like a normal rifle.  Recommendations?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:04:22 AM EDT
[#1]
So use a "pinned" collapsible M4 stock the length ya want.

As long as it don't adjust ya should be okay state law wise.

Then your M4 will look like a M4.

Mike

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:15:29 AM EDT
[#2]
ebay has lots of pinned M4 stocks, look there.

here is one right here. LINK HERE
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:15:41 AM EDT
[#3]
+1

The pinned M4 stock maybe A1 length or whatever length you like is just one possible solution.

There are other styles you might want to consider like Vltor, LMT Sopmod, Magpul M93B, etc.

With the other styles of noted stocks you could have an uber-tactical rifle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:16:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd get a rifle length Vltor.  I have a collapsible and keep it fully extended 100% of the time(unless it's stored).
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:40:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't go with a stubby stock.  I have a collapsble on my pre-ban and the only way I shoot it is with it fully extended.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:01:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Vltor rifle length, A1 length stock
Sully stock
Stubby stock - sold by Bushmaster
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:13:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So use a "pinned" collapsible M4 stock the length ya want.

As long as it don't adjust ya should be okay state law wise.

Then your M4 will look like a M4.

Mike

IMO the stubby stock that BM and RRA has is to short. I use a RRA fixed collapsible on my M4gery and it is rock solid. The Sully is better than the stubby, from what I hear. Good luck
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I personally prefer/use A1-length stocks.  Even as big/tall as I am, they are just right for me.  I am partial to the VLTOR clubfoot and the Ace ARFX, but old-school A1s work fine too.  Even my ARs with adjustable/collapsible stocks stay set at that length.

BUT...

YMMV - Stock length/fit/choice is a very, VERY subjective thing IMO.  If you really want a pinned CAR- or M4-looking stock, they can be had quite reasonably now that the federal AWB is no more...
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:29:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:00:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

IMO the stubby stock that BM and RRA has is to short. I use a RRA fixed collapsible on my M4gery and it is rock solid. The Sully is better than the stubby, from what I hear. Good luck

Not certain why ya quoted me in reguards to this, I never suggested he use the RRA or Bushy short stock........

FWIW I once owned the RRA shorty stock, but used it with a spacer sold by DPMS which eliminated the issues you brought up.

To be perfectly honest, I actually hate the pinned stock. It is too long and just not comfortable. I would personally go for an A1 or Stubby stock. It really depends how short you want to go. Hope this info helps.

Sammy

Reading comprehension skill problem here bud????   The "pinned" collapsible M4 stock can be any length ya want, it doesn't have to be the full length as it is sold. As long as it's "pinned" and does NOT adjust.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:15:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'd get a rifle length Vltor.  I have a collapsible and keep it fully extended 100% of the time(unless it's stored).

The only way to go in a fixed stock IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:28:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:02:51 AM EDT
[#13]
If you cant have and adjustable stock, why have the uncomfortable fixed collisable stock?

Fulton Armory sells a stuby stock that you can adjust to A2 length and it is ban legal.

Me I would just get A1 stock either a surplus one or a modern one made with updated materials. I think Cav Arms sells those.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:07:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I found that for me, a factory Colt M4 fixed stock works best and is  higher in quality than any  other fixed posisition M4 stocks.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the RRA short stock.  It is definitely short, but after awhile you don't notice it.  For a short entry weapon, I would always keep the others collapsed so I figured I would try it.  Most def it is a nose against the charging handle cheek weld.  I do not know how it would hold up long term.  The Colt's are more robust in their construction.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Sully stock, hands down (or if you MUST have storage in your buttstock, get an entry stock and add a 1" spacer).

I'm actually planning on replacing my colapsible with a Sully, depite the fact that I can have the adjustable unit.  I drilled a custom position into the 4 position buffer tube so that I had a "nose to charging handle" cheek weld.  I compared to the Sully, and it's in EXACTLY the same position.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a short ACE skeleton stock on mine and I really like it.  It's super rugged and comfortable.  I like the shorter stock as I can really scrunch down nice and tight on it (nose to the charging handle).  Also, my firing side elbow stays down much more easily (no chicken wing sticking out at 3:00 to get shot off).  In prone it's feels a bit different, but easily doable by just lifting a bit.  I completed a 4 day carbine course with it with no problems.  The only down side is that some of my newbee shooter friends had a hard time shooting it for the first time with it so close to the body.  I guess in that sence, an extendable stock would have been nice.  But it's fine with me and I'm the only one shooting it 99% of the time anyway.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:23:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Since a great man on this website just GAVE me an expensive gun part, I'll continue the generosity.  I have a pinned stock I will GIVE you.  Just IM me with your address and I will ship it out tomorrow.  (Thanks again Duffy)

If you don't want it, I suggest getting an A1 stock.  It's simple, perfect length, and has a compartment to put cleaning kit or other stuff.  But it doesn't beat a free stock.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Since a great man on this website just GAVE me an expensive gun part, I'll continue the generosity.  I have a pinned stock I will GIVE you.  Just IM me with your address and I will ship it out tomorrow.  (Thanks again Duffyh,

Wow!  Thank you very much.  IM sent.  I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#20]
IM received.  I will send package tomorrow.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#21]
dragonfly,
that is a very COOL carbine!i think you've infected me with GRD(gray rifle disease)
hugh
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:05:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Since a great man on this website just GAVE me an expensive gun part, I'll continue the generosity.  I have a pinned stock I will GIVE you.  Just IM me with your address and I will ship it out tomorrow.  (Thanks again Duffy)...

Another example of why this is such a great site.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top