Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2005 7:24:53 PM EDT
Which collapsible stocks are tough enough to withstand repeated clearance drills where the butt is slammed into the ground?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#1]
MagPul.

I think you might want to find out what is malfunctioning after a while tho'...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#2]
The problem is that I made the mistake of buying olympic ammo before checking this forum.  While attempting to clear a jam, I sheered the adjustment bolt on my fiberlite stock.  So, I need a more robust solution.  Don't worry.  I have started using better ammo now as well.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Weren't you doing CD's with the stock all the way collapsed?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I banged the butt on the ground without the stock being collapsed.  I know better now.  I had hoped the stock could take the abuse.  A stock should be able to stand up to use as an impact weapon.    
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I've read the Ace M4 stock can really take some abuse..
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't had any issues with my 6 pos, granted I've only done it about a dozen times though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:16:58 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 on on the magpul. The M93B is expensive but it is as solid as a fixed stock. From what I understand one of the biggest improvements Magpul did on the M93A to M93A2 was add an aluminum bracer to make it stronger for clearance drills and such.

Also check out: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=188153

eta: oops didn't see eklikwhoa's post.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:44:25 AM EDT
[#9]
ACE SOCOM is Bomb proof
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:51:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Which collapsible stocks are tough enough to withstand repeated clearance drills where the butt is slammed into the ground?

What kind of clearance drill does one do that causes the butt to be slammed into the ground? For me, no part of the SPORTS exercise involves the weapon even touching the ground. Maybe Im missing something here..
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#11]
The ACE SOCOM is probably stronger then the rest of my carbon fiber rifle.  As stocks go, it is pretty heavy.  If I ran out of rounds, I could probably club the crap out of someone without damaging the stock.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
ACE SOCOM is Bomb proof

yeah but there collapsing button is like fine china
i had one, atually two and the collapsing button/cam would jamb and render the stock fixed. also the "play/tension" screws on top never worked and would just tear up the tube.

also had this on my .50 beowulf which was the last draw for this stock.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#13]
i'd be concerned for the buffer tube as well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:49:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ACE SOCOM is Bomb proof

yeah but there collapsing button is like fine china
i had one, atually two and the collapsing button/cam would jamb and render the stock fixed. also the "play/tension" screws on top never worked and would just tear up the tube.

also had this on my .50 beowulf which was the last draw for this stock.

Same problem here.  The button has a name which I shall not mention on this forum.  

+1 on the Magpul 93B.  Looks good, has been durable for me, and great cheek rest.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The problem is that I made the mistake of buying olympic ammo before checking this forum.  While attempting to clear a jam, I sheered the adjustment bolt on my fiberlite stock.  So, I need a more robust solution.  Don't worry.  I have started using better ammo now as well.

Hey, tough guy.  I'll have an "extra" ACE SOCOM stock when I get the Magpul PRS stock for my SPR clone.  IM or email me for more info.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:00:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Ya know, sometimes it's entirely too easy to tell the guys that use their guns from those that build a model.  The same ones that have every bell and whistle imaginable yet not even so much as a port door mark on the rib of takedown pin.  The same ones that have a $1200 ACOG that's not even sighted in.  The same ones that look aghast when a rifle has been painted to blend in with its background.  The same ones that believe malfunctions never occur because they put 500 rounds thru their rifle a year if they're lucky and the wife lets them.

There's a reason that the ribbed M4 stock and older CAR stocks are on pretty much every "high speed" fighting rifle you see out there.

The Magpul is nice, but its meant more for comfort that functionality.  The aluminum bar is a stopgap solution for a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place.   The stock is too heavy for what it is and obviously too weak by design.  I was on deck when a bud was shooting and blew apart an M93A when clearing a malfunction at a match.  Never had I seen or had it happen to me with a 4 or 6pos M4 or CAR stock.  Backtracking a moment, Magpul did indeed stand behind their product and replace it.  After that however, I promptly sold it.

For most shooters that run their rifle a few times a year and dig comfort, the M93 is great.  But for people that use their rifle like a rifle, get something else.

And as for shearing your bolt, sounds like a defective part to me.  Do you know what brand stock you had?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#17]

For most shooters that run their rifle a few times a year and dig comfort, the M93 is great. But for people that use their rifle like a rifle, get something else.

That must be why Pat Rogers and DET1 use them.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top