Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 6:24:28 AM EDT
First of all here is my rifle http://tinyurl.com/e42g8 I got it in A3 configuration for $775 at a local gun shop.

I bought a Bushmaster 14.5" bbl with mini Y-comp on it.  I know the compensators add some extra noise to the rifle but how much?  I considered taking it out coyote hunting but with the noise its head-splitting.  I've heard a lot about ADCO.  Would it be worth my time to have a flash suppressor attached instead of the brake?  How much recoil does the compensator reduce and is it enough to warrant keeping it?

I am looking at replacing the stock pistol grip with a Hogue?  I've heard a lot about them and held a rifle at the shop with one.  Any drawbacks on it or more comfortable grips?  As well are they easy to change since its a single screw or a pain in the ass because of the safety detent?  In the parts picture it shows a detent and spring under the grip.

I'm looking at buying a telescoping stock.  What are some good ones out there?  Pain in the ass to change once again?  $4 for the buttstock removal tool isn't a bad price to pay from Bushmaster.

When taking out the buffer and spring you have to depress the detent if you're taking it out to clean.  Well once the spring and buffer are part way out you can't press the detent anymore.  Any harm with it scraping the buffer?

I have a few more questions but I'll keep it in somewhat short segments.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:48:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Would it be worth my time to have a flash suppressor attached instead of the brake? How much recoil does the compensator reduce and is it enough to warrant keeping it?
The Ar doesn't recoil enough for ME to justify the use of a brake, but I don't shoot High Power competitions.  You'll be surprised at the drop in noise levels once you switch to a Flash hider.
All in all, if you think you'll need second shot capability at long ranges (200yds +) stay with the brake.  IMO I prefer my Vortex to a comp.

I am looking at replacing the stock pistol grip with a Hogue? I've heard a lot about them and held a rifle at the shop with one. Any drawbacks on it or more comfortable grips? As well are they easy to change since its a single screw or a pain in the ass because of the safety detent? In the parts picture it shows a detent and spring under the grip.
Hogues are ok.  Folks here don't tend to like them.    The hogue closely aproximates the size of the stock AR grip in a "stickier" material.  I presently have a hogue and a Samco G27 on both Ar's and I prefer the G27 due to its thicker backstrap (improved trigger finger position).

After backing out the grip screw, slowly remove the grip from the lower so as to prevent the spring and detent  from being lost.  Grip replacement is a pretty easy task; pay attention to how things come apart, piece together in reverse order.

I'm looking at buying a telescoping stock. What are some good ones out there? Pain in the ass to change once again? $4 for the buttstock removal tool isn't a bad price to pay from Bushmaster.
CMT, CMMG, Colt...Stay with mil-spec buffer tubes and stocks in case you want to "upgrade" later.    There's a tacked thread at the top that should answer your questions concerning pricier alternative stocks.  Good info there.

You may need a propane torch to loosen any thread locking compound on the threads, but it's an easy modification you can do yourself.  Provided you have a spanner wrench, patience, elbow grease, and patience.

When taking out the buffer and spring you have to depress the detent if you're taking it out to clean. Well once the spring and buffer are part way out you can't press the detent anymore. Any harm with it scraping the buffer?
No

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:00:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I can only answer the question about the hogue grip. I personally love mine. Everybody has different sized hands and comfort levels, but for me it's just right. I will most likely put one on every AR I ever get.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:14:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't mind the stock pistol grips, but prefer the A1 to the A2. I just don't like the finger bump of the A2. Though in a recent thread I saw where a member ground the bump off. I may try that sometime.

I agree with the CMT, CMMG, Colt stock recommendations. LMT is another top brand. The CMT is probably the cheapest of the bunch. Teknic (Rainier Arms, LLC - DBA: Tactical Solutions), found in Equipment Exchange has CMT M4 and CAR stocks for $65 - $70 delivered. John's a great guy to do business with and you won't be disappointed with CMT's quality. I recently put one of their CAR stocks on one of my rifles. Love it!

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:20:44 AM EDT
[#4]
The mini y is LOUD!  Almost unbearable with out hearing protection. As for the Hogue grip, personally I like mine.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:03:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The mini y is LOUD!  Almost unbearable with out hearing protection. As for the Hogue grip, personally I like mine.

...PUT YOUR HEARING PROTECTION IN!

I'll back you up on the Hogue grip, it's the only accessory on my AR, and it feels great.  Then again, I have small hands, so that might explain that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:37:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've heard a lot about ADCO.  Would it be worth my time to have a flash suppressor attached instead of the brake?  Yes, if you value your hearing and like to remain friendly with the prople shooting next to you
I am looking at replacing the stock pistol grip with a Hogue?  I've heard a lot about them and held a rifle at the shop with one.  Any drawbacks on it or more comfortable grips?I have bigger hands and the Houge is a little small, but very comfortable  As well are they easy to change since its a single screw or a pain in the ass because of the safety detent?  In the parts picture it shows a detent and spring under the grip.Really easy to change. Don't yank the grip off, and you won't lose the spring and detent. Just be careful and you can't go wrong.

I'm looking at buying a telescoping stock.  What are some good ones out there?  Pain in the ass to change once again?  $4 for the buttstock removal tool isn't a bad price to pay from Bushmaster.
As mentioned above CMT, LMT, Cav Arms, Colt, Bushy, RRA, etc., etc., are all good stocks. They are pretty easy to change as long as the stock isn't red-loc-tited into the lower.

When taking out the buffer and spring you have to depress the detent if you're taking it out to clean.  Well once the spring and buffer are part way out you can't press the detent anymore.  Any harm with it scraping the buffer?Nah, just wiggle the buffer/buffer spring and it will come out fine. You do have to push it down initially to get the face of the buffer out, but you don't have to hold it down after that.

I have a few more questions but I'll keep it in somewhat short segments.

Hope this helps.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:53:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I just got a new Magpul MIAD grip and absolutely love mine... with the full grip set you get the enhanced trigger guard built in. Which i like cause it gives me more room in the trigger guard, and also elimineted that gap between the trigger guard and the grip, which is quite annoying. I personally dont find A2 grips wide/thick enough, and the hogue isnt that much better.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh, for God's sakes,  the Hogue grip ROCKS!!!!

Rocks, I tell you!!!

Rocks, I say!!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought a Bushmaster 14.5" bbl with mini Y-comp on it. I know the compensators add some extra noise to the rifle but how much? I considered taking it out coyote hunting but with the noise its head-splitting. I've heard a lot about ADCO. Would it be worth my time to have a flash suppressor attached instead of the brake? How much recoil does the compensator reduce and is it enough to warrant keeping it?

I had an Armalite with a brake.  Will not ever put a brake on an AR!!!  BE AWARE:  Since your rifle has a 14.5" barrel, a standard A2 will not bring it out to legal 16" length.  there are a few flash hiders, I think the Phantom is one, will be long enough.  And it must be silver soldered or pinned, with the pin hole welded over.  Let someone such as ADCO do this for you.

I am looking at replacing the stock pistol grip with a Hogue? I've heard a lot about them and held a rifle at the shop with one. Any drawbacks on it or more comfortable grips? As well are they easy to change since its a single screw or a pain in the ass because of the safety detent? In the parts picture it shows a detent and spring under the grip.

Everyone has a different idea of what is most comfortable.  If there was one "best" there would not be so many choices on the market.  Hogue makes good grips.  There are others.  Some manufacterers use a standard slotted screw, and some use an allen screw.  If allen, you need a LONG allen wrench.  The screw comes out at an angle, BUT you should hold the grip in place and completely remove the screw.  Then carefully pull the grip away at 90 degrees to the boreline, NOT at the screw angle.  This way you don't crimp the safety detent spring.  Carefully remove the spring and let the detent slide out of the lower receiver.  Do this over a terry towel and the parts will not tend to roll away.  

When you replace the grip, test the tension on the safety selector.  Some grips have the hole for the spring shallower, and this requires you to trim the spring a few coils to get the safety to work well.

If, when replaceing the grip, if you don't slide it all the way on, then put in the screw, but instead let the screw draw the grip up into place, you will usually pinch the spring between the grip and the receiver.  Then the safetly selector won't work.

I'm looking at buying a telescoping stock. What are some good ones out there? Pain in the ass to change once again? $4 for the buttstock removal tool isn't a bad price to pay from Bushmaster.

I buy mine from J&T Distributing.  DPMS, Rock River are good, too.

When taking out the buffer and spring you have to depress the detent if you're taking it out to clean. Well once the spring and buffer are part way out you can't press the detent anymore. Any harm with it scraping the buffer?

No, the buffer is smaller diameter after the head passes the detent.  Push the detent down, I use my universal AR-15 tool (Ordinary nail set, also removes firing pin retainers, taps out hammer and trigger pins, etc) and the head passes the detent.  Then just wiggle it out.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top