Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/6/2005 5:55:46 PM EDT
I am so confused it is really sad. I really want a AR-15 and am leaning towards DPMS but the more I  look at the different models they have they all look the same except for very minor things like barrels. So anyone got any advice. And what kind of mods would you suggest. What do you think about this.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/arbe210drclb.html
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I build my own.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#4]
And the disease begins...soon it will not be which one, but rather which to be next

What configurations were you looking at?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Fun, Defense all of the above basically. I will ask my Brother his opinions since he is pretty knowledegable about the rifles he was in Iraq and Afghanistan. When he was in the Marines. Infantry officer. What did you all think about the Drum magazine..Pretty crazy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#6]
go to the EE or the industry forum, either buy a complete lower built (~$250), have it transfered to a FFL for a fee, and get the upper (complete) you want --a Stag complete upper for $475 or a RRA upper for ~$420

(Eaglefirearms.net, PK firearms, lots in the EE or induy.) will have many configs--pick one that fits your budget and your uses

then snap em together

or

buy a stock AR at your local gun store, or online (aimsurplus.com, etc) will have good prices

as to BETA-Cs, --i would rather spend my $$$s on lots of USGI mags that are more practical

check EE for good prices on betas if you really want on (h/w, +1 for CDNN--they are great folks!)

i would suggest a CHROME-lined carbine or midlenth AR w/ a A3 (flatop) upper

the rest would be options and ut to you...

good luck
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#7]
This is pure speculation on my part because I have never owned the Beta-C 100 round mag. Nor the single drum 90 round mag.

From what I have read here on ARFCOM these are not the shiznat that they seem to be.
Though most have stated they look cool and all there function is poor and the extra weight is also adverse. Best used when sitting on a bench or tripod. The Beta –C as I understand needs to be kept clean and lubed with graphite to prevent it from hanging up.
So for the $200+ you will spend on it you wont use it much but it will be a conversation piece. Take the cash and buy a few 30 round mags and ammo. That’s what I would Recommend.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:45:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Spend a few weeks reading as much as you can in the different tech forums. This may help you narrow down what you want to do with the rifle.

+1

When I bought my first AR, I didn't know much about them.  I wish I would have done more research as to what makes one AR different from another.  That being said, I love my Bushy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Beta drums are nice but not so much fun inless you have a full auto.

Most AR models are very similiar other than the barrel, stock type, and upper type (flat top, A2, A1)
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#10]
What ever you decide to do, do it right the first time. Take a look at the different configurations of weapons out there and only make up your mind after your sure you have what you want. I will also suggest a BIY weapon. They are not at all hard to put together and you can save a few bucks in the process. And you learn a lot about how your weapon functions.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, I don't think you can do it right the first time. I have 2 complete rifles that have changed so many times it is pathetic. The one thing I do know is the more I visit this site the more AR15's in different configurations I want.  What I would do if I had the money and had my first build to do over again would be to find the setup that really stands out the most ( your favorite) and try to get the build as close to it as possible. That way you can hold off a little more on your second and third AR15's
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top