Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/6/2005 3:25:52 AM EDT
Comp m2 or EOTech holographic sight? Which should I put on my AR? What are the differences and how do they perform?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:27:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I prefer the Aimpoint over the EoTech.  I have both, that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:29:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Go to the Optics forum on the AR15 board for a LOT of similar threads.

FWIW, I personally like the CompM3. I don't like EOTechs, particularly cause the Aimpoint has hundreds of times the battery life.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:29:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I prefer the Aimpoint over the EoTech.  I have both, that's just my opinion.

+1
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:22:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I own 3 Aimpoints and have never owned an Eotech. I have used the Eotech and I think the reticle is a bit too busy for me. I think Eotech has a sight out that only has a center dot but I may be mistaken. I would still go for the Aimpoint regardless. It is all a matter of personal preference.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:51:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a aimpoint ML2 and I hate it........ wish I can get the money back.
I have used a Eotech 511 on one of my LEO friend carbines........... I like it much better.
As for battery life, use rechargable batteries when not in use.
The ML2 has a single dot versus the EoTech's halo'd crosshair, its all preference.
But I am saving for a EoTech 511.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:01:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I like EoTech better, but I can't use it as my astigmatism is pretty bad.  EoTech has a larger field of view and a more fine dot, but the reticle doesn't come together for me.  It looks like a bunch of scattered dots.  EoTech also cowitnesses better without the need for extra mounts (usually).  Aimpoint has WAY better battery life and just looks neater.  The larger dot did not look fuzzy to me like the Eothingy did.  If you've got bad eyes, look at the aimpoint, it'll probably work better for you.  MJD
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:23:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I've looked at both and have almost read all the threads that discuss this issue.  IMO I would buy the Aimpoint only because of the super loooooooooooooooooooooong battery life.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:30:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Aimpoint.

I used my personal one in Iraq with great success.  It is a little beat up but it now resides on my M4gery.

max
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:09:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I have both and like them both.  I bought the EOTech first just because I could mount it on my flat top without buying an additional mount.  If you want to save some cash, that's what I'd recommend.  You won't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#10]
hard-sights

glock

9mm

dogs

+1
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:28:11 AM EDT
[#11]

I love the EOTech

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I love the EOTech

Yep.

Little center dot. Aim small, miss small.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:59:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Vote via picture....

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:48:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Wrong Forum, Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Eotech
www.adcofirearms.com/newpic/13.jpg

what kind of FH is that on the car on the left(the american)?

btw:
I recently sold my eotech for an aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Eotech

what kind of FH is that on the car on the left(the american)?

btw:
I recently sold my eotech for an aimpoint.

dust cap

Oh, I see.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#19]
My dept has some Aimpoints and I used one for years.  I recently got an EOTech.  I like the EOTech reticle and easy-to-find batteries much better, but the aimpoint controls and battery better.  The Aimpoint is way more expensive once you get a proper mount for it.

Right now, overall, I am leaning toward the EOTech, but both have their strong points.  I just think the EOtech reticel is a little more versatile.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I love the EOTech

+1
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#21]
EEEEEEEEEEEE
OOOOOOOOO
TTTTTTTTTTTECHHH

I've both and have used previous generations of the aimpiont and Dr. Optic on pistols. I take EOTech hands down. I can recharge batteries if I need more power, the EO blinks at start-up to let me know. FWIW  eg
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#22]

Plastic and steel vs aircraft grade aluminum.

Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#23]
I got an EOTech mostly because of price.  The sight is cheaper plus you don't need a separate mount for it.  The EOTech seems more rugged to me, having the mount integral to the sight plus a thick metal shield (not sure aluminum/steel) around the whole thing.  I can see individual "dots" in the reticle, but during normal shooting I don't notice.  Also, the center dot seems pretty small & sharp, and doesn't obscure the target much.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Eotech

Dig the guy in the background... Another vote for the Eotech, by the way.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Aimpoint.

But try both before deciding, its a matter of what works well for you.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#26]
EoTech.  The reticle did it for me, but I'll admit that I like the mounting options and battery life of the AimPoint.

BigBore, one of the guy magazines (FHM, I think) has a regular feature called "Who the hell are you?" that showcases wierdos screwing up good photos, usually with hot babes.  You should send that one in.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Eotech.  But wrong forum.   Go to the optics forum, there has been a billion threads on this.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:21:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Eotech
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I like both. I don't have an EOTech yet but I'll get one for my carbine.

I'm using an Aimpoint M2 on my carbine now but I'll mount it on my 20-inch rifle when I get my EOTech.

They're both well proven by the military.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:53:23 AM EDT
[#30]
It really depends on you my friend. I have an EOTech. The EOTech is a bit more than half the price of an AimPoint + mount depending on what you get. The EOTech has a smaller dot as well (1 moa vs 4 moa on the AimPoint IIRC) The aimpoint's batteries last an exponentially longer amount of time and looks dead sexy IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:59:22 AM EDT
[#31]
I own both, and as mentioned above, I prefer Aimpoint too.

myit
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:00:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Aimpoint

no, Eothingy

no wait, Aimpoint

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:39:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Well...here is how I see it.

Price? EOtech. Aimpoint becomes more expensive because it requires a decent mount. Some say the EOtech does also. If you consider mount + optic together as a system when formulating price, in most cases EOtech will be cheaper.

Red dot? Either. This is pure preference. The Aimpoints' is more simple being a dot. The EOtechs is more busy, however you get a big circle for up close really fast, and a tiny dot for long shots. Aimpoint is 4moa, and that is good enough for COM out to 2x the 556's frag range anyhow.

Battery life? Aimpoint. New gen 3's with 50,000 hours of life on a setting of 7 out of 10 is very impressive. Gen 2 was still better than an EOtech with AA lithiums.

Durability? Jury is still officially out. However, Aimpoint gets a lot more weight because they've been A] approved by the military B] been around a lot longer.  

Weight? Aimpoint is lighter, but depending on mount...that can change. EO's vary between N and AA battery models. (obviously)

Field of view? This is subjective, but most reasonable people would say EOtech gives greater FOV.

Warranty? Aimpoint. 10 years vs. 2 years for the EOtech. (note that Aimpoint is also 2 years for professional or competition use)

Waterproof? Aimpoint military models. EOtech says 33ft. M series Aimpoints are 75ft + (who scuba dives with a red dot besides SEALs?) Comp C's and the civilian/hunting models of Aimpoint are 17'. This category is moot for 99.999% of folks.

I've got an Aimpoint. I liked the warranty, battery life, and simple dot better, and these were the key factors. Although I think the EOtech's holographic concept is pretty neat, I just want a simple spot of a dot. I want as little distraction as possible and don't like busy reticles unless they are range finding ones for bench guns. Also, mounting options were better for use with co-witnessing iron sights. The EOtech requires a riser mount to do lower-1/3 co-witness and that negates the cost saving integral mount of the EOtech.

I did not overlook the EOtech over any fears or doubts of reliablity or toughness. That was not considered, as both optics are clearly proven in my opinion. AA battery option was very, very tempting though....

Personal preference. Best advice (aside from buying both) is to look through both and handle both. That will help you a lot.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:42:23 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Field of view? This is subjective, but most reasonable people would say EOtech gives greater FOV.

Good post Tread.  However, the FOV issue is a non-point.  BOTH eyes open like they should be with any non-magnified reflex sight makes the FOV totally dependant on YOUR eyes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:22:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Well ya.....

I was refering to how much of your view the optic will block. I shouldn't have called it FOV....my bad.

With the Aimpoint you see a ghost ring type of effect (so long as you are focusing on the target like you should). The EOtech does the same, but you see less of it. I don't think that is subjective....but if some people see it differently...I can't argue with that

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top