Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/5/2005 7:31:24 PM EDT
Just finished putting together my first one and am wondering if it is ok to dry fire an AR-15.  I have a RRA 2-stage trigger if that matters.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely OK.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Dry fire away. Not a problem...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes to dry fire the complete rifle.
No to dry fire the lower alone. Could crack the magwell.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:39:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I still use snap caps in all my guns
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Definitely do it... Its a good way to find out if there are any defective parts that might other wise break when you don't want them to... Its also a good way to start the break in process with a new FCG...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The correct Army way to determne if everything works properly is to (after checking to insure weapon is clear) pull trigger and keep it pulled.

Charge charging handle. Let go of trigger. You should hear a firm clicking (reset) and then pull trigger.

I dont know if they still teach the Army of One that, but thats how it used to be done during the Revolutionary war era.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The correct Army way to determne if everything works properly is to (after checking to insure weapon is clear) pull trigger and keep it pulled.

Charge charging handle. Let go of trigger. You should hear a firm clicking (reset) and then pull trigger.

I dont know if they still teach the Army of One that, but thats how it used to be done during the Revolutionary war era. hr

Yup, we still do that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#8]
its ok to dry fire

just make sure its unloaded

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
its ok to dry fire

just make sure its unloaded

+1000
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#10]
For the AR, yes.

The thing about not dry firing goes back to some firearms, mostly double barrel shotguns.  The firing pin could stick it it overtraveled, as it would if dry fired.  (Stevens, Savage, Fox and other similar)  Then when you dropped in a shell and snapped it shut it could fire out of battery as the firing pin protruded.

But for the AR-15, no problemo.  (I am practicing my Mexican.  If we have to live with them, might as well learn the language.)  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Also....what I thought to be the primary type of firearms you dare not dry fire are "Rim Fires" as repeatedly striking the breechface with the stoutly sprung rectangular fire pins can and does peen/dent/ding the breechface ignition area causing a depression that can compromise ignition of rimfire cartridges in short order....it is therefore highly recommended that you use a dry firing aperatus in rimfires...I usta just use spent rimfire brass...as a cushion between the firing pin and breechface....the same can be employed with other firearms you wish to preserve such as revolvers and auto-pistols..no need to run out and buy $15 worth of plastic snap-caps.

And as stated...most military rifles are built plenty stout to endure thousands upon thousands of dry fire sessions...such as the AR.

L8R, Bill.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
..no need to run out and buy $15 worth of plastic snap-caps.

L8R, Bill.

*finds this post a few days after spending $15 on snap-caps.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#13]
you can dry fire AR's.

You might wear something out around 25,000 dry fires.  Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:35:01 AM EDT
[#14]
it will explode.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:36:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't dry fire the lower only.  The hammer will hit the frame and bad things can happen.
Only dry fire fully assembled.  Just wanted to remind folks of that one.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:07:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I've never had an issue dry firing mine.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:42:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Don't dry fire the lower only.  The hammer will hit the frame and bad things can happen.
Only dry fire fully assembled.  Just wanted to remind folks of that one.

yep
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top