Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 4:35:13 PM EDT
I've been trying to remove my gas tube from my upper, I have the roll pin out and am letting it soak in Breakfree now, I have gone by this guide: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782 I have tried grabbing it with pliers and lightly tapping with a hammer, but it wont budge. Any other simple solutions. I am going to remove the front sight and put it back on as my gunsmith screwed it up, details in this thread: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=249074

hopefully this will help, because if not my barrel is probably bent and I am fucked

thanks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I've taken mine off today and I used a small vice grip to ensure that I wouldn't crush it.  A couple taps with a rubber mallet and she was off.  You can look into the hole where the pin goes to see if you have moved the tube any.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Breakfree should work, If not why not leave the gas tube in the front post and tap it off with the gas tube in it. just an idea.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Grab with vise grips, twist back and forth to loose it up.  It'll come out.  Then toss it and reassemble with a new tube.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Stick the gas tube in the vise and take a rubber mallet to upper.

I also cut the gas tube in half so it'd be easier to remove.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Take a cheap pair of plyers and at the forward part of the jaws (flat area), drill a hole slightly smaller than the gas tube. Drill where the jaws touch and as close to the end of the plyers as you can get (leave about 1/8th inch from hole to jaw end).

This allows the plyers to grip the gas tube without crushing it. A slight twisting motion as you pull the tube out should work. Some times you may need to tap on the plyers also to get stubborn ones out. Who said chinese tools were worthless? Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:07:10 AM EDT
[#8]
remove the roll pin..., fire two or three rounds.,, they get loose real quick !!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top