Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/4/2005 10:57:15 PM EDT
Ok, guys how frugal have you been able to achieve in building you own upper? I've seen the how tos on the build forum and installing a barrel seems VERY simple with the proper tools. How cheap have you found new or pulled barrels?  How about handguards or UPKs?  Im going to end up paying around $500 for what I want in an upper but if I can save a significant amount in building it myself, im willing to take a shot at it.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I saved myself about $100 buying stuff off the EE.
ETA: I could have probably done it cheaper if I really wanted to.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#2]
it can be as cheap as you're willing to be.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:24:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
it can be as cheap as you're willing to be.

Well Im not willing to buy cheap parts, I want all quality stuff, but Im wondering what the average builder has saved, and possibly some deals that they have found on more expensive parts.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Even if you end up breaking even, you have gained further knowledge about your rifle,
which is always a good thing!

The initial outlay for upper tools might eventually be recouped if you ever helped out a few
builds for a couple bucks? of if you do 1 or 2 more of your own...

Judging from your locale, that shouldn't prove too difficult!

Now get building!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:39:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Even if you end up breaking even, you have gained further knowledge about your rifle,
which is always a good thing!

The initial outlay for upper tools might eventually be recouped if you ever helped out a few
builds for a couple bucks? of if you do 1 or 2 more of your own...

Judging from your locale, that shouldn't prove too difficult!

Now get building!

I don't yet have the faith bro! lol  I might if someone could list some places that are having the current best deals on solid stripped uppers (a2 handled), barrels(14.5 w/ or w/o phantom installed), bolt completes, or UPKs...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:46:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Complete bolts?!

Cheater!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:55:38 PM EDT
[#7]
i have yet to build my own and actually save money
i did however save on the clutter of unneeded parts
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:56:09 PM EDT
[#8]
ok I dont want to go THAT in depth in building...stuff like the front sight post and bolt i'll buy already installed or complete... you got any websites that usually have good deals on stuff for builders?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#9]
look in the industry forum
usually when referred to building your own it means from parts, some think that closing the pins on an upper and a lower building which imo far from it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:03:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I built an AR from complete parts and had fun. It was so easy anyone can do it as long as you have a bbl nut wrench. I highly reccomend it.

(At time of build I was 19, c'mon if any idiot kid can do it then so can you)
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:15:04 AM EDT
[#11]
What about a company recommendation on stripped uppers?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:51:38 AM EDT
[#12]
It's not about saving money when I built mine, it's just so that I can build with exactly what I want, when I want it.  There is no such thing as saving money when it comes to AR
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:07:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I have had good experiences with Del-Ton (www.del-ton.com)

I didn't do my build as cheaply as I could have, since I scrapped the standard FSB and got aftermarket gas block, flip up sights, etc. My Forearm cost me about 3 times as much as a standard CAR forearm too.

None the less, if your building a bare bones KISS rifle, you should be able to do it fairly cheaply.

As a side note, I HIGHLY recommend you build one, even if there is no realized cost savings. It's a great project and teaches you alot more about the rifle then buying 'over the counter'.
Just my $.02
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:30:18 AM EDT
[#14]
$150 for my stag upper and colt cary handle. both were new. $100 for a new midlength barrel from Adco. I got lucky and got a good one from the flawed batch. Hell, it even came with a barrel nut, and FSB. $20 Gass tube, $30 for free float handguard used, but like new. $120 Compleet new bolt, bolt carrier,and charging handle. $130 Cav arms lower MK1  came stripped with all the parts. I assembled it and sent it off to cav arms, $35 upgraded to the MK2 Cav arms lower so even it is new now. $23 for a phabtom flash hider new

Total for a bad ass new first build....$608.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:58:49 AM EDT
[#15]
jt distributing makes great kits.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:00:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
jt distributing makes great kits.

Well Im having to do it pizza delivery pay check to pizza delivery paycheck lol and Ive already ordered my LPk from RBPRecision. So really a part at a time is the only way I can do it...not good at saving over the coarse to buy the big money item
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#17]
well if your going to buy bit by bit then use the equipment exchange to your advantage.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:21:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It's not about saving money when I built mine, it's just so that I can build with exactly what I want, when I want it.  There is no such thing as saving money when it comes to AR

Exactly.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:08:04 AM EDT
[#19]
I agree, forget about saving money.  Its reassuring to know your upper wasnt put together by some high school dropout at the factory.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:25:42 AM EDT
[#20]
yep ya can save money, lets see ive found a complete colt hbar2 lower for 250 couple months ago yesterday i got a colt lw 16 and colt hbar 20 barrels with everty thing form the reciver forward for 50  acouple a weeks ago i picked up a colt bolt and carreir for 95 on the ee  now all i need is a colt upper reciver for free and i will have a all colt rifle for 400 or find a used uper reciver for under a hundred and it will be a 500 dollar colt
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top