Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 5:03:06 PM EDT
I'm about to order an upper to complete a KISS rifle.  I'm torn between a Superlight profile CAR upper from Eagle Firearms and a Mid-length RRA upper w/ ADCO contouring under the handguards.

Both of my options will be on an A2 upper, chrome lined w/ green handguards but I'm unsure what gas system to go with for a light KISS Rifle.  The Superlight is a little cheaper, but I don't have a middy.  I'm so conflicted!

Any Opinions???  

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#1]
My vote is for the superlite.

Max
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#2]
middy!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#3]
1:1...

That's about where I'm at too...

Still undecided.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Middy.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Lightweight A3 CAR

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#6]
The best answer here in ARFCOM is always get both.

If you would like to have a middy then get it first, it will be slightly heavier than the CAR.

I used to have a LW but if I have to get one now, I'll get a middy. Then the superlight next.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Lightweight. With either a flat-top or an A1 upper.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#8]
My recommendation:

An A1 upper (better iron sights) and a turned down midlength.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#9]
LW A1
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My recommendation:

+ eleventy million
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Super Light all the way.

Don't underestimate the weight savings. Lighter IS better - period.

16" is fine for any imaginable use (civilian).

People buy HBARs, then load them up with all sorts of crap. Then they hold a superlight and say "WTF"...and begin to rethink their setups.....

Skip all the regrets, wrong purchases, trial and error, and time wasted and go straight to superlight.

BTW, the term "superlight" is only used cause HBARs dominate the market. HBARs are a commercial invention created by companies that want to save money by not having to machine barrel blanks all the way down to the correct profile. Superlight is the original AR profile and worked just fine for the military. Unless you need to bayonet someone (get govt profile), or shoot 300+ rounds non stop full auto (as is with the M4A1 profile) then "pencil" barrel will be perfect.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Superlight A1 or A2.
You did say KISS, right?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My recommendation:

I completely agree, this would be an awesome no frills lightweight rifle.

Shal1
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Middy Gov't profile.

Works great and you have more real estate to grab onto. Also a little smoother operating; especially so with a 9mm buffer in a collapsible stock.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd throw a Comp ACOG on there, too, but that's me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#17]
midlength

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#18]
CAR pencil barrel with A1 or A2 sights.

Doesn't get any more KISS than that. Plus you could always put an ACOG on it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#19]
KISS baby.. I have 2 carbines w/ Surefires & Eotech's and such.  Now I need a SHTF/Hurricane Looter Defender/Zombie rifle that is quick & handy.  One that I can toss to my dad (Vietnam Vet) in a bad situation that's not loaded w/ shit he has no idea how to use.  

No Aimpoints/ACOG's/Eotech... I know it's hard and all, but no stuff allowed on this one. (other than a full magazine)

This is great, thanks for the opinions so far guys.  This site is fun for me but somehow influences me to squander spend all my $$$ on AR parts.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#20]
middy. its my next one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Superlight.

Nah, just get both.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Superlight!  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Gov't profile middy. Longer sight radius and more handguard to grap onto and cover that hot barrel.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Superlight with an A1 stock. At least that's my idea...

If I'm spending your money, I would have to go with both though.

Cheers,
Chris

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Middy! You can bayonet the looters that come in close. Seriously...midlengths are awesome. They use regular bayonets...have the rifle "look" but are still carbine length. I need one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
My recommendation:

This is what I am doing this also. Midlength to facillitate bayonetting looters. Turned down to "Superlight" profile.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:17:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My recommendation:

This is what I am doing this also. Midlength to facillitate bayonetting looters. Turned down to "Superlight" profile.

What is 'turned down'?

On my build Im going kiss light, 14.5'' with phantom...which means I can bayonet the zombies baby!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:19:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Go Superlight, you won't be sorry.

Light, fast, quick, feels like a toy almost.

Mine weighs less than my Crosman 760 BB Gun...  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:40:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Two weeks ago I would have said superlight carbine.  But since I got my RRA Middy upper, I have to say go with the mid gun.  I noticed it seemed to shoot smoother per say than my carbine,  If you have it turned down by adco it should weigh near the same as the superlight barrel since they are both 16"   the middy's gas block is just something like 2" further up,  and I like being able to grab out a little further on the handguards,  the carbine handguards make me feel all crunched up.  

This is my newest one,  got to shoot it saturday and it runs great..

Not a superlite but is a carbine,  

Did I mention I cut on the middy a little bit....  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:20:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Maybe this will help as a point of comparisson. Here is my lightweight with an A2 upper, and then with an A1 upper. (It now wears the A1)

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:02:35 AM EDT
[#31]
SuperLight
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:11:48 AM EDT
[#32]
what aboout ...dissy love...standard sight path...  you can get the barrel turned (which i plan to do)and still keep it somewhat light...picture this gun(mine, just finished ) with an A2 upper with the rest of my gun with a turned SS barrel...JMO but that is heaven...

BTW ...how light is light vs. superlight?...i'll weigh this today and post back...later ..chris
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
My recommendation:

What is 'turned down'?

On my build Im going kiss light, 14.5'' with phantom...which means I can bayonet the zombies baby!

By turned down I mean a superlight mid length. Normally middies are HBAR.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:39:16 AM EDT
[#34]
My KISS A1(C7 actually) Middy

...with Cav MK II receiver
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#35]
At least we all agree.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Get a middy from CavArms. They are LW (gov profile )under the H/G .
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Well since this has turned into a picture thread

I don't know which way to tell you? As you can see, I already have a KISS middy but I plan to build a LW KISS carbine some day too so for me, the answer is both!

What do you plan on using it for? If it's going to be a shooter, go for a Middy as they really do shoot nicer then carbines and considering this will be an iron sight only gun, having the FSB 2" forward is a nice bonus too. If on the other hand, this is something you are going to spend more time carrying around, a LW would be nice to have.

I guess somebody is just going to have to come out with a skinny mid-length barrel!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

But seem to be more expensive than a RRA Mid upper (even after paying to have ADCO contour it down).
I looked tho...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But seem to be more expensive than a RRA Mid upper (even after paying to have ADCO contour it down).
I looked tho...

The CAV is chromelined. I don't know about the RRA though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#40]
ok, update...

I ordered a Superlight A2 Upper from eaglefirearms.net w/ green furniture.  I was about to order a chrome lined middy from ADCO but the dropped the chrome lined option and kept the price at $425 so I'll get a middy for my next build.  

Thanks for the replies and the pics guys!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top