Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2005 8:47:31 PM EDT
Have any of you tried the Norgan Ambi-Catch and was it worth the $85 for the trouble you saved? Or did it not bother enough to be worth $85?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a lefty shooter - Not worth the trouble, nor the $85.00 - I have LH STAG - This item never came into the picture for me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Not worth it to me. I just hit the release with my right thumb as I'm grabbing the mag with my right hand.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:46:08 PM EDT
[#3]
What about the ambi safety for like $25 that stag is selling?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Not worth it to me. I just hit the release with my right thumb as I'm grabbing the mag with my right hand.

ditto
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:28:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I would say it is a must, but that is just because i'm used to one. You can thumb the release as you grab the mag. If you have a norgon and good mags though you can be reaching for your full mag while you drop the other one free with one finger. Ambi-safety, not a must, except for CQB.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:52:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Have any of you tried the Norgan Ambi-Catch and was it worth the $85 for the trouble you saved? Or did it not bother enough to be worth $85?

If you are military or LEO, you can purchase  an Ambi-Catch directly from Norgan at a significant discount.  It is a nice option but I consider the ambi-safety as a must have.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:08:11 AM EDT
[#7]
The $85 mag release isn't worth it to me. I have 7 of the DPMS ambi safety's and have broken four of them. The Stag and JP ambi safety's were not availale when I got the DPMS safety's. The surfaces do not mate well and protrude far enough on the right side to make them suceptable to easy breakage when carried on a snowmobile, or atv. Considering the quality they are grossly overpriced.
I do like the fit and feel of the reversible safety on the new JP drop in trigger. They also will sell you an additonal part that makes it an ambi.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:33:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I shoot a rifle left handed, and both the ambi safety (Get one from Bravo Company, it's excellent, installation is a snap, no rollpin) and the Norgon ambi mag release are present on all my lowers for consistency.

Both should be standard issue parts.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:19:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I shoot a rifle left handed, and both the ambi safety (Get one from Bravo Company, it's excellent, installation is a snap, no rollpin) and the Norgon ambi mag release are present on all my lowers for consistency.

Both should be standard issue parts.

Consistency is the key.  I have one of my 3 complete BM ARs outfitted w/ the DPMS Ambi-safety and the Norgan Ambi-Catch.(W/ 4 additional lowers to find uppers for)  What really sucks is when I grab one of my other two ARs which are "as built" form the factory w/o the mods-  talk about fumbling!  I was at a rifle side stage during an IPSC practice and went through a couple of times w/ my BM/M4 which is outfitted all ambi...  Then I shot through the course w/ my BM/20 "as built" from the factory.  When I went to reload, my trigger finger struck the side of the lower receiver uselessly several times  (where the Norton ambi-catch would be if it were installed on my 20") before my mind kicked and said, "Doh!  Use you other hand dummy!".

I may go back to all "as built" and continue to cope w/ the right hand versions, which isn't hard to do.  Actually tac-reloads are easier for me than my right handed father.  My other option is to outfit all may ARs for ambi-use.  Which adds ~$100 to each weapon and that's ~$100 I'll probably never see again if I should have to rid myself of a particular AR.

Do the ambi mods help? Yes & no.  If you're already doing fine w/ right hand only versions- don't change horses mid-stream.  I had used ARs for over a decade before installing ambi-stuff and my muscle memory is still learning to cope.  If I were just getting my first AR, yes I'd appreciate the mods as being standard from the get-go.

Sly
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top