Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2005 2:35:10 PM EDT
I recommend a detail strip of the forward assist assembly. On mine the lube they originally put on it turned into stiff goop and caused the FA to not function. The goop was causing the spring and plunger inside the FA to bind and not allowing the claw to reach the notches on the BC. I pulled the forward assist and cleaned it as best I could without tearing it down totally but the problem came back. Once I stripped it down totally, with a good clean and lube, the problem went away.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad to hear its fixed!  That was probably the original goop from 40 years ago, so I'm not too shocked that it had congealed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#2]
the barrel has a date stamp on it. My CDNN M16A1 was made in 1980.

I used brake cleaner on the upper, and lubed with fp-10. no problems with anything sticking.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thought about ordering one.  Yes or No?  What manufacturer did you get, It did not specify in the catalogue?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow...I JUST noticed those uppers...awesome!! Maybe I'll have to pick one up after my next build.

ETA: How are the bores on these usually?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thought about ordering one.  Yes or No?  What manufacturer did you get, It did not specify in the catalogue?

They are genuine Colt.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I want to buy one, but am curious if I could install round A2 handguards on the barrel with the old round delta ring that these come with.  Anybody know if A2 handguards will fit?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I want to buy one, but am curious if I could install round A2 handguards on the barrel with the old round delta ring that these come with.  Anybody know if A2 handguards will fit?

99 percent sure the answer is yes.  Somebody will be along shortly to verify.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

99 percent sure the answer is yes.  Somebody will be along shortly to verify.

The round hanguards are designed to fit either style of handguard cap. The delta rings are all the same diameter. The older ones were just flat instead of the current tapered design.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I think these uppers are FANTASTIC! You must get one right away or they will all be gone. If you change the hanguards, make sure to keep the ones you take off, since at some point in the future your likely to be building an A-2 type rifle, and may want to change back to the original handguards on your A-1 build. I thought I would be HAPPY with A-2 handguards on my A-1 upper, FOR SHAME! What was I thinking? I didnt get a good nights sleep till I got the correct handguards on my A-1 upper. With the help of a good friend over on the EE I am resting comfortably, yet alertly. Thanks Glen. BRD is like that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Blanco_Diablo, if you buy the one that is $399 and comes with a A1 stock assembly the barrel and upper are brand new and never used.

Gregory_K, where was the date stamp on yours? The only markings anywhere on my barrel are "C MP CHROME BORE".
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I recommend a detail strip of the forward assist assembly.

I don't recommend that.  Why would you risk running a punch on the finish, ruining the upper or taking all that time when you can spray out the foward assist with Gun Scrubber or Brake Cleaner?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I recommend a detail strip of the forward assist assembly.

I don't recommend that.  Why would you risk running a punch on the finish, ruining the upper or taking all that time when you can spray out the foward assist with Gun Scrubber or Brake Cleaner?

Some poeple just like to take things apart and put them back together again. I love to do it, nothing wrong with it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I soaked the FA assembly overnight in mineral spirits and that did not get anything out of the channel that the plunger and spring for the claw reside in. Only a full disassembly opened things up enough to break things free.

With the proper tools(roll pin starter/punch sets) and being careful there is little chance of damaging the finish.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#14]
under the handguards near the fsb. you will find a date stamp on the barrel
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#15]
The catalog lists these as .223  are they true .223 or 5.56 mil spec?     I want one sooooo bad.....but I dont have $400....anyone want to be kind and donate to the cause of fulfilling my happiness? hehe
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:06:36 PM EDT
[#16]
No problems with a sticky FA on mine.  Also, no date under the handguards.  The barrel does have "C MP Chrome Bore"... I wonder if having the words Chrome Bore indicate a date range?

A few things I noticed with my "new" Colt upper.  The quality is really great.  When I sighted it in, no windage adjustment was needed!  In fact, the rear sight is dead set in the middle of the carry handle.  All I had to do was turn down the front sight a bit to raise the point of impact.  I was pleasantly surprised... I hate when you have to crank over the rear sight way to one side.  Another thing... you can get that skinny barrel real hot, real fast!  Overall, the A1 is a nice, LIGHT gun.

A question... I used an SP1 carrier... it actually seems too dark (even compared to some more "modern" carriers), can anyone post a pic of what the carrier should look like?  All the pics I've seen seem to have the dust cover snapped into place.

Thanks!

Shal1
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:24:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The catalog lists these as .223  are they true .223 or 5.56 mil spec?     I want one sooooo bad.....but I dont have $400....anyone want to be kind and donate to the cause of fulfilling my happiness? hehe

These are surplus, Mil-spec M16A1 Uppers....they are 5.56 nato Chambered.

and, though I would love to contribute to your project ( and thus your true hapiness ) the answer is still, NO.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:04:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
under the handguards near the fsb. you will find a date stamp on the barrel

Only on the last ones made.  Earlier pieces, from the Viet Nam War era do not have a date stamp.

My hunch is, though, that the new assys CDNN is selling, are all of later production runs. That would explain why they were pulled off of unused M16A1s, to be updated with A2 top ends.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:11:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

A question... I used an SP1 carrier... it actually seems too dark (even compared to some more "modern" carriers), can anyone post a pic of what the carrier should look like?  All the pics I've seen seem to have the dust cover snapped into place.

Thanks!

Shal1

Every "C" marked carrier I've seen, whether SP1 or M16 type, has a dark parked finish.  The only lighter colored carrier I own is a very early M16A1 type that doesn't have the "C" mark on the side.  The SP1 carrier I used to have was exactly the same dark park color as the M16A1 carrier that replaced it.

Don't sweat it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:49:46 AM EDT
[#20]
The C MP CHROME BORE marked barrels were used on factory original USGI M16/M16A1's from about 1974-1982.  Forge codes are typically CH during this time frame.  CK and CM forge codes usually have the earlier chrome bore marking markings, C MP B.

Quoted:

Are you talking about a code like this?

The earliest date stamped barrels I have seen with a date code like this is 1995:

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:04:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the info... I feel better about my SP1 carrier.  You guys rock with the A1 knowledge!

Shal1
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The C MP CHROME BORE marked barrels were used on factory original USGI M16/M16A1's from about 1974-1982.  Forge codes are typically CH during this time frame.  CK and CM forge codes usually have the earlier chrome bore marking markings, C MP B.

Quoted:

Are you talking about a code like this?

top pic is the onr i have
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

OK, that is not a year code, note that the one pictured is 28, and I just had one stamped 48.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, that is not a year code, note that the one pictured is 28, and I just had one stamped 48.

I don't have the A1, I have a Colt M16A2 upper but it's also marked with the number 28.

What does that number mean?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have the A1, I have a Colt M16A2 upper but it's also marked with the number 28.

What does that number mean?

I don't know, but the one in the picture is an M16A2 barrel, got it from CDNN.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:15:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I figured it  was a year code as mine was marked 80, I just figured it would 1980.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#27]
How well will that upper match with a DPMS forged upper, colorwise?

thx
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Any DPMS lowers I've seen have been very BLACK.  The Colt A1 uppers are grey so they are NOT going to match.  I have one Olympic lower (BLACK) and several Rock River lowers (a little lighter but still BLACK) and none look good together with the A1 upper.

I am fortunate in having a Coal Valley EA lower that is a very similar grey... indoors it looks perfect... in sunlight you can tell the difference but it's pretty damned close.

It seems the best thing is to have the gun completely refinished... that way your lower parts, charging handle, etc will all match.  Right now, my charging handle is BLACK and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Shal1
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Darn.  I actually broke down and bought one today.  It should be here thur. or friday.  The lower I have is pretty gray, but I guess I will see when the upper gets here.  What about b/bc?  Can I buy any b/bc/ch for the set up?  Do I need a gunsmith to check headspacing?  

thx
ric
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#30]
new barrel new bolt, you have about a 99.9% of everything being good to go.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I just ordered an M16A1 upper from CDNN after lusting after these for a year or so.

I ordered the Non-Colt Used model. They have four complete A1 variants listed - Colt New, Colt Used, GI Early Used, GI Used. All used are listed as VG-EXC and CDNN has always labelled fairly.

The one I ordered is $269.99 and diverges from the others in that it is not Colt and has the 3-prong flash suppressor. At that price I figured I can buy an A1 from Bushhampster and install the 3-prong on a future XM607 project/idea!  

(BTW I mentioned my purchase at lunch to my boss, a VN Vet; he commented "those three-prong things are terrible, got caught on stuff."

Ad does say that all variants have chrome-lined barrels and forward assist; I called and was told "They all have chrome-lined bores."

I am hoping I got an Air Force upper that had the 3-prong for some reason.  I also want a FA.  We shall see.

I will document here with pics when I receive it.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:41:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Ordered mine on Tuesday. Opted for the new one.  Still waiting for it with a bucket of mineral spirits
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:08:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I will document here with pics when I receive it.  

Please do, CDNN ships out quickly so you should see it soon if you are not to far from Texas.  Does sound like an Air Force upper, the three prongs were replaced on US Army rifles quite awhile ago.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Had coronary bypass surgery on Aug 9.  After getting home I thought I deserved a reward for being such a good patient.  So I placed an order from CDNN for the used Colt A1 upper.  Got the order in about four business days.  Put it on a Oly PCR lower I had.  Color match is terrible, but when I finally got to the range last Monday, the rifle shot dead on at 100 yards.  Now my collection includes an A1, A2, and an M4forgery.  Off topic, when I ordered the A1 upper from CDNN I also ordered the Beretta 96G slide and recoil assembly.  Now my 92F can be a 96G and turned out to be very accurate in .40 S&W first time to the range.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Had coronary bypass surgery on Aug 9.  After getting home I thought I deserved a reward for being such a good patient.  So I placed an order from CDNN for the used Colt A1 upper.  <snip>quote]

Congrats on your successful surgery!

Was this the $300 used unit? How's the condition?

I did the $269 because I wanted it now, and wanted to test the cheapest option...
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes, this was the $300.00 unit.  Exterior condition was very good.   Chrome chamber and bore were immaculate.  As I stated, it proved to be a good shooter.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm going to ask two terribly stupid questions here.
1)-As they're M16 uppers, is it legal to put them on an AR lower for shooting?
2)-As they're M16 uppers, can you put any Colt b/bc in them to work for semi auto?

Told ya they were stupid questions, but I'm not proud!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
2)-As they're M16 uppers, can you put any Colt b/bc in them to work for semi auto?

yes you can, it is all have to do with full auto parts! like trigger parts ETC!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Only stupid if you didn't ask them.

YOu can check the ATFE website for confirmation, but...

1) there is no difference between a full auto upper and a semi upper - the FA may have a shorter-than legal barrel. Not an issue here.
2) Headed in the right direction, as there is considerable argument on arf.com about the uses of an M16 bc in a semi upper.  ATFE suggests strongly that you do not do it, but there is no actual legal prohibition. I do not want to be a test case, but the point is moot, since I have never bought an upper with a FA carrier (luck of the draw).

With a semi b/c and an upper with the legal barrel length you should be fine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Got mine today and it looks nice.  Anyone know the twist rate?

ric
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:53:45 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Got mine today and it looks nice.  Anyone know the twist rate?

ric

The barrels should be 1/12" twist.

BTW my upper from CDNN rocks!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#42]
I guess I'm limited to the 55 grain?  What about 60's?  Can I use em?  

Thanks,
Ric
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only stupid if you didn't ask them.

YOu can check the ATFE website for confirmation, but...

1) there is no difference between a full auto upper and a semi upper - the FA may have a shorter-than legal barrel. Not an issue here.
2) Headed in the right direction, as there is considerable argument on arf.com about the uses of an M16 bc in a semi upper.  ATFE suggests strongly that you do not do it, but there is no actual legal prohibition. I do not want to be a test case, but the point is moot, since I have never bought an upper with a FA carrier (luck of the draw).

With a semi b/c and an upper with the legal barrel length you should be fine.

there is no difference in the uppers other than it is an early style only barrel length and the trigger parts are an issue!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:40:21 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I guess I'm limited to the 55 grain?  What about 60's?  Can I use em?  

Thanks,
Ric

Depends.  If you're talking about getting accuracy from M855 the answer is no.  Nor will tracer.  These bullets are too long for 1:12.  

OTOH, 1:12 will stabilize many standard construction 60s.  For eg, most Russian 60 gr ammo works just fine in the A1s.  Some have reported here that they get better accuracy with Wolf 62s vs. the 55s in 1:12s.  But remember that when you get close to the weight limit for a given twist rifles become more individual.  So one barrel may shoot great and another might not.  

As for the 64 gr Winchester PPs, you'll have to try and see.  If you handload, the 63 gr Sierra will work just fine.

Sam
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#45]
New thread for my new mystery upper www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=250182
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top