Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/3/2005 1:37:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#1]
for me its easier to bench rest shoot with a smaller mag
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:59:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Prone shooting is a little easier with the 20's....

HTH,
Sean
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I use 20 round mags because (I think) A1's look retarded with 30 round mags...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#5]
1. It's easier to shoot at a rest.
2. It's easier to shoot prone.
3. It looks more "correct" with retro builds.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Im seeing just as many 20rd mags as 30rd in Ya'lls Pics...any reason to prefer the lesser?  

I keep different ammo in the 20 round mags than I do in the 30s.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#8]
20s are the way to go if you are plinking.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#9]
20's are for prone or for the bench.

30's are for Zombies, and other appropriate situations.

viator
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#10]
They are for people too lazy to load 30s
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#11]
For me over here in the UK
It just depends what I can get my hands on

I've a DPMS 20 rd
a USGI 20rd
Unknown origin 30rd
and a SA80 30rd

And I can hear you guys laughing from here

Coz you all have probably 20 of each

But I do prefer the 20's coz it's easier to bench rest shoot with them

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#12]
1 box ammo = 20 rounds.

30 round mags are just a math problem.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Some of them are 40 years old and work like new. Top Quality, and they look so cool. I use my 20's at the range more than my 30's.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
1 box ammo = 20 rounds.

+1
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Coolness factor= WAY high
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
1 box ammo = 20 rounds.

+1

I have no idea what you're talking about; I'm still eating away at my stash of South African in 30 rd boxes.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I've a DPMS 20 rd
a USGI 20rd
Unknown origin 30rd
and a SA80 30rd

Taffy

No we are laughing at this part
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I've a DPMS 20 rd
a USGI 20rd
Unknown origin 30rd
and a SA80 30rd

Taffy

Probably 20 of each.

If I only had 20 mags for any weapon system, I'd be apoplectic.

If you don't have to inventory your mags on your computer to keep track of them, you need to mag up, dude.

If you don't order your mags by the case (100/per), you are simply being inefficient.

Don't waste money; buy in quantity!

viator
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Im seeing just as many 20rd mags as 30rd in Ya'lls Pics...any reason to prefer the lesser?  

I keep different ammo in the 20 round mags than I do in the 30s.

Yep.

Keep a couple handy loaded with Federal 62 gr. Bonded Bear Claws for a Dreadful Day.
Auto Glass can be a bitch!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Prone shooting is a little easier with the 20's....

HTH,
Sean

+1
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I shoot mainly A1 type AR rifles, and Carbines. So they just "fit"

However, my real reason is I can carry them in smaller pouches , or pants pockets,  different bandoleers hold 20 round magazines perfectly, and I prefer the looks of them.

I tend to shy away from the "capacity" debates.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

viator

He's in the U-friggin'-K ya dolts. As in England, Great Britain. You know, that place where basically all guns are illegal.

He's lucky to have an botl action AR. Jeesh, you really should read what people post and have a little sympathy for our fellow AR enthusiasts across the pond.

I use them with my 20" AR for shooting off the bench and I may get some more when I get my light-weight AR put together. A 20 rounder with XM193 is about 4 oz. lighter than a 30 rounder.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

viator

He's in the U-friggin'-K ya dolts. As in England, Great Britain. You know, that place where basically all guns are illegal.

He's lucky to have an botl action AR. Jeesh, you really should read what people post and have a little sympathy for our fellow AR enthusiasts across the pond.  

I was joking. I read his post. I noticed the country of his residency.  I don't appreciate childish name-calling. I am not a dolt.

The very idea that 20 mags is a lot is humorous. The writer considered 20 mags to be an exorbitant number. I was reacting to that. 20 mags is pitiful, no matter where one resides.

You need to chill out, or read with comprehension, before you post.

viator
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

viator

I was joking. I read his post. I noticed the country of his residency.  I don't appreciate childish name-calling. I am not a dolt.

The very idea that 20 mags is a lot is humorous. The writer considered 20 mags to be an exorbitant number. I was reacting to that. 20 mags is pitiful, no matter where one resides.

viator

Ditto, I took my post as more of a "Laughing at myself" sorta thing,...And I doubt our opressed British brother took it any differently... Hell I'll send the man a mag or 2, Can I do that?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
1 box ammo = 20 rounds.

It's a good thing I'm good at math then, huh?

I don't have an A1 upper, so I don't care about what looks "right". The USGI 20rders with alloy followers are some of the best ever made. Very reliable and I feel that they are pretty stout. That said, I use the 30's more, even while sneeking through heavy brush when hunting.

Just my opinion.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I prefer 30 rounders because I have a vert grip. 20 rounders look retarded with vertical grips. 30 rounder is maybe 1/4'' longer than my grip.

20 rounders just look right in plain jane A1's. Damn I want a A1.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Coolness factor= WAY high

yep, 20 rounders are just sexy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
1 box ammo = 20 rounds.

How many rounds do you put in your 30 round mags?  

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:10:09 PM EDT
[#30]
I like 20 rounders because the rifle seems much more portable, easy to carry without that extra length sticking out on the bottom.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#31]
For some reason I like the 20 rounders. Yeah, there'a all that good stuff about shooting prone and such, but even without that there's something about the look of a 20 round magazine loaded in a Carbine that just looks and feels right.

If I were a Soldier I would use nothing but 30 rounders simply for the added firepower, but I'm not a Soldier.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

viator

viator

WTF do you mean 20 mags is pitiful.  How many AR owners that aren't trying to show off on the internet do you think have more than 20 magazines?  

I happen to have 18 30rders and 2 20rders and in no way do I feel defecient in magazines.  How many fucking magazines do you think you can carry?  

There's nothing wrong with wanting to have a lot of magazines.  Hell i plan on having more someday.  But it isn't a fucking pissing contest.  If you can carry 120 rounds with you ready to go then I am pretty fucking sure you are covered.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:28:08 AM EDT
[#33]
i like both and own both
but like the 20's a little more, gives the rifle a subtle look
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:16:16 AM EDT
[#34]
A twenty round GI mag fits nicely in the back pocket of a pair of Levi's.  Very unobtrusive.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:00:34 AM EDT
[#35]
I was'nt offended and maybe I should edit my post to 200clips each

If I could afford and find more good quality mags I'd go for the USGI ones. They seem to function flawlessly for me but then I dont get to shoot semi-auto with them

There are plenty of guys over here with mag mountains and there are pics of them in one of the UK threads if I can find it i'll link to it.

Cheers

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:15:40 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I was'nt offended and maybe I should edit my post to 200clipsmags each

If I could afford and find more good quality mags I'd go for the USGI ones. They seem to function flawlessly for me but then I dont get to shoot semi-auto with them

There are plenty of guys over here with mag mountains and there are pics of them in one of the UK threads if I can find it i'll link to it.

Cheers

Taffy

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:19:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Here at Quantico, when we use sim rounds, the sim mags hold about 22 sim rounds.  In this MOUT training, about half the time I dont even run out of rounds before I am killed or I have killed the enemy.
And I rarely run dry, I have plenty of time to use cover, and reload, retaining my magazine.

Personaly, while it would not be my first choice, I would not feel unarmed if I only had 20s.
Remember, the gun was designed to use a 20 round magazine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:41:47 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Here at Quantico, when we use sim rounds, the sim mags hold about 22 sim rounds.  In this MOUT training, about half the time I dont even run out of rounds before I am killed or I have killed the enemy.
And I rarely run dry, I have plenty of time to use cover, and reload, retaining my magazine.

Personaly, while it would not be my first choice, I would not feel unarmed if I only had 20s.
Remember, the gun was designed to use a 20 round magazine.

You use [gasp] aimed fire???
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:44:36 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheers

Taffy

Blanco you failed to spot my irony..

Taffy

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:45:26 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheers

Taffy

Blanco you failed to spot my irony..

Taffy

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:50:59 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've a DPMS 20 rd
a USGI 20rd
Unknown origin 30rd
and a SA80 30rd

Taffy

Probably 20 of each.

If you don't have to inventory your mags on your computer to keep track of them, you need to mag up, dude.

If you don't order your mags by the case (100/per), you are simply being inefficient.

Don't waste money; buy in quantity!

viator

No shit.  The footlocker that contains  my pistol/rifle mags requires three men to move.  

The only advantage to 30 round mags is, uh 10 more rounds vs the 20s.  Unless I'm going out to melt the phosphaste off my barrel, I use the 20's.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

viator

viator

WTF do you mean 20 mags is pitiful.  How many AR owners that aren't trying to show off on the internet do you think have more than 20 magazines?  

I have no idea how many magazines anyone has unless they post. I have more than 20 magazines and I'm not trying to show off, so there is at least one person. I would imagine there are many more.

I happen to have 18 30rders and 2 20rders and in no way do I feel defecient in magazines.  How many fucking magazines do you think you can carry?  

Reading comprehension is everything. No one was discussing how many magazines one can carry. We were discussing ownership. I'm happy that you have what you consider to be enough mags. I was addressing the idea that the very thought of 20 magazines or more is exorbitant. If you want to have less, then more power to you. I don't care if you have 40 AR15s and share one mag between them.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to have a lot of magazines.  Hell i plan on having more someday.  But it isn't a fucking pissing contest.  If you can carry 120 rounds with you ready to go then I am pretty fucking sure you are covered.  

I am not engaged in a contest with anyone. If you have 50 AR15s and no mags, I don't care. Again, no one was discussing how many mags one can carry, so I have no desire to argue with you about that. 120 is enough for you? Fine. Knock yourself out.

One of the reasons that I personally don't consider 20 mags enough is because I am concerned about my family. If a ban is passed again against the production of new mags, I need not only enough for myself in my lifetime, but also for my descendants. Mags wear out or become damaged. They are a consumable. If you start out with 20, after 50 years, you will have less than 20.

Skip mags. Single load them. I don't care.

viator
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Viators point about banning mags, potentially, is the same exact reason I a shitload of them.  The same goes for ammo, spare parts kits, unbuilt lowers, etc.  If they can't stomache trying to take our guns away directly (likely) they'll go after everything that makes 'em go bang.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I was'nt offended and maybe I should edit my post to 200clips each

Cheers

Taffy

I'm glad that you weren't offended; that was not my intent. I thought that it was obvious that I was ribbin' ya.

Some guys must lack the finely tuned sense of humor that we obviously share.

Or, as an alternative, last night was Saturday evening. Someone may have imbibed a bit too much. I have heard that alcohol may negatively affect one’s cognitive processes.

There, I put some pictures in for those who are better prepared to interpret pictures than words.

J/K

Sheesh, guys, lighten up.

Even the Limey understands.

viator
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Viators point about banning mags, potentially, is the same exact reason I a shitload of them.  The same goes for ammo, spare parts kits, unbuilt lowers, etc.  If they can't stomache trying to take our guns away directly (likely) they'll go after everything that makes 'em go bang.

We are on the same wavelength, KnobCreek. I am working on the same thing. I want to be in a position, so that when my grandchildren are old men or women, they will have what they need for self-preservation.

If I am going to bring them into the world, I'm going to do everything I can to provide for them, even after my death.

Every time I buy a new AR or something else, I tell my son: "I'm working on your inheritance."

He then responds: "Cash works too."

If I plan it right, there won't be much cash to pass on.

viator
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We are on the same wavelength, KnobCreek. I am working on the same thing. I want to be in a position, so that when my grandchildren are old men or women, they will have what they need for self-preservation.

If I am going to bring them into the world, I'm going to do everything I can to provide for them, even after my death.

Every time I buy a new AR or something else, I tell my son: "I'm working on your inheritance."

He then responds: "Cash works too."

If I plan it right, there won't be much cash to pass on.

viator

Yeah, you're simply investing what would of been his cash inheritance in an appreciative asset (maybe appreciating too).  I use the word "investing" all the time with my wife to justify my purchases.  You know "Wife, I made another investment today in ammunition and my 20th rifle".  She let's it go, God bless her.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#47]
HEy Taffy, I was in the UK for the past 10 months for school, up in Glas-guh Scotland. From the pics it looks like your in English territoy...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#48]
If you let one of  your shooting buddies shoot a mag thru your AR with your ammo, you save 10 rds of ammo
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
HEy Taffy, I was in the UK for the past 10 months for school, up in Glas-guh Scotland. From the pics it looks like your in English territoy...

Naaa
I'm Deep in Welsh territory
Although I know Scotland pretty well. Spent 2 week at the R.A.F outward bounds/Survival school along the Spey river. 5 days in a tent with the awful raining Scotish (just like back home here in Wales) weather was enough to get the general idea

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

viator

viator

Ditto, I took my post as more of a "Laughing at myself" sorta thing,...And I doubt our opressed British brother took it any differently... Hell I'll send the man a mag or 2, Can I do that?

Hey underdog there's an offer I can't refuse...

We have no restrictions on magazine capacities here and getting a silencer/compensator/moderator/muzzle brake added to a firearms certificate is pretty easy. We can have bayonet lugs if we desire. We have semi auto still in 22lr ( I have a 10/22 with screwcut barrel)...just no handguns and no centrefire semi/full auto rifles. everything else is pretty much the same. You'd be surprised how many Americans think we have NO guns here in the UK

But if you're willing to send me mags then i'll glady recieve them.

I'll IM you with my adress if your up to increasing my 4 magazine collection

Taffy
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top