Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 7:32:08 AM EDT
If you were going to have an AR or any other weapon for a home defense weapon, would you keep it locked up in a safe or not?
I wonder, how long would you realisticly have to access a weapon if someone was serious about coming into your home? Would you have time to get to a safe, open it and access your weapon?
What if it is 3am in the morning, your asleep and you hear a door being kicked in or a window being broken, how much time do you really have to get your weapon and is it acessable if the scum are already coming into your home?
What is your thought and experience in this scenario?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:52:51 AM EDT
[#1]
imo keep a handgun close by, lock uo the ar.  you can always use the handgun to get to your ar if need be.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:04:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I keep my loaded G19 either on me or next to me at all times and I keep my AR  out of the case unloaded but a 30rd mag inserted
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:32:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd recommend only keeping a "junker" shotgun out of the safe for home protection. It's too much of a hassle to lock up an expensive firearm every time you leave home, and retrieve it from the safe every time you return. And I sure as hell wouldn't want to leave an expensive firearm out all of the time.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:36:55 AM EDT
[#6]

First off you need an early warning dog.

+1

Only problem is my pooch sleeps just like me. Doesnt hear a thing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#7]
When I had an AR, I kept it locked up.  Now, 6 years later I have a HUGE dog and a Kimber .45 with 235 gr JHPs in it.  The dog will distract the perp long enough for me to hit the combo to the Kimber and thats it.  Trying to fumble with an AR wastes time.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I keep it within reach and only when I leave or if its a safety issue do I lock it up.when you need it for a nite break in you have only seconds and in my experience they heard me chambering not that I cared.then it was assholes and elbows for them idiots going back out the kitchen window.I did not feel the need to pop them so I planted 3 in the door frame by the window they were heading out.that was 3 ft away from them.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top