Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2005 3:10:21 AM EDT
hey .....
i am not sure whether i want larue 7.0 or 9.0 rails...i was hoping yall might post a few pics of each one here so i dont have to keep going back to old threads...i am not sure if i want to keep the original front site and take the hassle of cleaning under the rails(7.0) or go 9.0, troy front site and be able to slide the rail off to get to the barrel.
thanks
catfish
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:55:18 AM EDT
[#1]
So you have an AR with a carbine length gas system, correct? We need to clarify that.

Going on that premise, how often do you expect you're going to need to clean under the rails? Are you taking this rifle on duty or for deployment? If not, I think you may be over emphasizing the need to clean the bbl underneath the rails. Removing a free floating rail system like the Larue is not considered routine maintenance.

Besides, why do you need to see pictures? Are you complicating your decision making process with aesthetic issues? Get the one that fulfills your needs and disregard how it looks because how it looks doesn't really matter.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:16:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:10:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Besides, why do you need to see pictures? Are you complicating your decision making process with aesthetic issues? Get the one that fulfills your needs and disregard how it looks because how it looks doesn't really matter.

I completely understand your reasoning, but I disagree. For a personal weapon at home I think it is completely okay to use aesthetics as a factor in determining what accessories to get. Every gun doesn't have to be built for purely tactical reasons. Some people enjoy looking at their guns and enjoy building and accessorizing them as a hobby.

Now if it is a duty weapon, then yes I agree that looks aren't important, but for a personal weapon it is purely a personal choice.

Just my $0.02.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:59:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:59:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Personal opinions aside, I was merely trying to obtain clarification as to why the OP was trying to decide between the 7.0 and 9.0. If someone wants to choose a particular piece of gear because of how it looks, that's their choice but knowing why you want one piece of gear over another helps one to decide which one they get.

ETA - What can I say? I am very pragmatic.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:48:54 AM EDT
[#6]
i will be using it to plink around with..sometimes i will be wading down rivers and creeks looking for hogs, and theres times that you slip while going up or coming down muddy banks...so i was curious about rails and the easy of cleaning...i like the 7.0 but if the 9.0 are that much easier to clean than i can over look the 7.0...plus the nines will give me 2" on my site radius... i think right?
thanks for the 7.0 pic
catfish
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:07:59 AM EDT
[#7]
catfish, if you really want a rail system that's easy to clean, get a two piece. You can just take off the bottom piece and you're good to go.

Cleaning under a one piece rail system is easy if you have a high pressure hose and air compressor. Just hose it down, dry it off and spray it down with your favorite lube.

Out of curiousity, why do want to go with a rail system vs. stock handguards? What do you plan to put on the rails? Don't get me wrong, I like rail systems but I'm starting to see the advantages of stock handguards.

Please understand, as much as it may seem to the contrary, I'm not slamming you for what you want. I'm only trying to get to the real reasons why you're looking at said options. Far too many people don't communicate the reasoning behind their needs and those offering advice and opinions don't state why they have a certain preference or opinion. The end results is people are confused and will often make a less-than-informed purchase.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:47:50 AM EDT
[#8]
go 12"
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:41:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top