Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2005 5:51:43 AM EDT
I saw an actual night vision film of our troops monitoring three Iraqi "insugents"  who had stopped  along an Iraqi highway and were setting up positions and preparing to ambush our troops.  You can hear our military conversing about what they were spying on and witnessing, and finally hear one of our guys say "Smoke them" (-once it was confirmed that these Iraqi's were not innocent civilians.)  You then heard the sounds of gattling gun fire, and saw these 3 guys and their car, their tractor trailer and the RPG nest, all get snuffed out in little explosive bursts and clouds with whatever it was they got sprayed with.  One Roach tried to hide underneath the Tractor Trailer after the cab of the Tractor Trailer was shot up. He crawled out onto the road and received some more Raid spray to finish him off.

The film ends by telling you that these roaches took a direct hit from a C-130 gun ship that was 2 1/2 miles away. These Roaches never knew where it was coming from or how!

QUESTION: What ammo do you summize those gattling guns were firing. 50 cal?  Are the projectiles explosive, or just merely solid bullets that cause such devestation when concentrated on small  target? Sorry, if I sound ignorant, but I know some about my .45 auto and 30-06, but little about military armement.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:55:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Got a link to the vid?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:57:38 AM EDT
[#2]
tagged
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:01:39 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a McDonnell Douglas M230 30mm cannon being fired from an AH-64 Apache with FLIR imaging.  It's not from a Spectre.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:03:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I know the footage you're talking about, but it was an AH64 Apache firing the M230 30 MM gun.

[EDIT] UXB, you beat me to it, you rascal. I wanted that "kill"  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:04:43 AM EDT
[#5]
According to this AF Fact Sheet, the AC-130U is armed with a 40mm cannon, a 105mm cannon, and a 25mm gun (probably the same "chain gun" used on Marine light armor).  They used to have .30 cal Vulcan gattling guns.  In "The Green Berets," there's a sequence when they used AC-47s to wipe out the NVA that had overrun a firebase using the same Vulcans; those guns could supposedly put a bullet in every square foot of a football field in one pass.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:08:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:08:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
According to this AF Fact Sheet, the AC-130U is armed with a 40mm cannon, a 105mm cannon, and a 25mm gun (probably the same "chain gun" used on Marine light armor).  They used to have .30 cal Vulcan gattling guns.  In "The Green Berets," there's a sequence when they used AC-47s to wipe out the NVA that had overrun a firebase using the same Vulcans; those guns could supposedly put a bullet in every square foot of a football field in one pass.

".30 cal Vulcon gattling guns" ?

I assume the discussion is about the GE M134 Minigun.    Just to bring in proper nomenclature.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:34:48 AM EDT
[#8]
The gun on the apache is not a gatling gun.  It's a single bbl...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:40:41 AM EDT
[#9]
The AC-130U uses a Gau-12 5 barrel 25mm gun.(the same one on the LAV/AD, but not the single barrel on the LAV-25)  The AC-130H which used two 20mm M61 vulcan cannons. Both have a trainable 105mm and 40mm BOFORS cannon. The guns on the AC-47 were the SUU-11a, 7.62mm gun pods (M-134 in a pod). The Apache's gun is the M-230 chain gun.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:50:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I assume the discussion is about the GE M134 Minigun.    Just to bring in proper nomenclature.

Vulcan 20mm Rotary Cannon

The minigun has "mini" in it, because it's a smaller version of the Vulcan.

This page describes the armament of the AC130 Spectre as having a Vulcan, and the newer AC130U Spooky as replacing it with the GAU-12 25mm Gatling Gun

Mike

edit- Damn, I hate when I get distracted while typing a post and someone else beats me to it! Good info gener. I'll leave this post around for the links if anyone wants them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:01:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Roger mchasal, I've spent the last tweenty years as an Aircraft Armament tester, so I can kind of pull most that stuff off the top of my head.Forgot to add, VaniB I am pretty sure the video you saw was the one out on the web of an Apache smoking some tangos with an RPG in the farm field. GOOD STUFF
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vulcan 20mm Rotary Cannon

The minigun has "mini" in it, because it's a smaller version of the Vulcan.

This page describes the armament of the AC130 Spectre as having a Vulcan, and the newer AC130U Spooky as replacing it with the GAU-12 25mm Gatling Gun

Mike

edit- Damn, I hate when I get distracted while typing a post and someone else beats me to it! Good info gener. I'll leave this post around for the links if anyone wants them.

IIRC , the Vulcan project covers the .223 "six-pack" , 7.62 , 37, 30, 27 , 25, 20 , and .60 cal
However, since his post refers to the .30 cal variant, I figured I'd introduce the nomenclature to the conversation.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:34:06 AM EDT
[#13]
There is a request for upgrade for the AC-130 which replaces all armament variations with one 105mm gun and two 30mm chain guns.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Roger mchasal, I've spent the last tweenty years as an Aircraft Armament tester, so I can kind of pull most that stuff off the top of my head.
Forgot to add, VaniB I am pretty sure the video you saw was the one out on the web of an Apache smoking some tangos with an RPG in the farm field. GOOD STUFF

If it's the video Im thinking of, the three guys in the field had a truck load of morter rounds and a couple SA-7 anti-aircraft rockets.  The second guy that got smoked was trying to get one of them up at the 64.  I think that happened outside camp Speicher (Tikrit) towards the end of '03.  

30 mike owns all!!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:30 mike owns all!!!

+ 1 X 1,000
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
There is a request for upgrade for the AC-130 which replaces all armament variations with one 105mm gun and two 30mm chain guns.

I've heard that same rumor from my stepdad who is a Col. at Mcdill in Tampa.  He said the main reason is that the current armament uses WWII surplus ammo which isnt currently produced and is running out.  They want to go to the 30mm cause we already produce it for the A10 and the AH64.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:21:36 AM EDT
[#17]
can I get a validated story or link to verified information that it is indeed an AH-64?  

I had seen a shorter version at least a year ago, missing the placing of the RPG in the ditch and just recently an owner of my company (business) was emailed the video and told it was an AC-130 and he corrected me when I said I had seen it and it was an Apache.   I said it before I had seen his email and thought maybe I was wrong.  The email is stating this took place from 2.5 miles away.  I think not.

anyone?

thanks
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Here is a link to some AC130 action--------->Check out the one labeled AC130/Jets and others F**ing awesome stuff!!

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Can't help with the actual verification, but here is a link to the full video.

Apache footage
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:15:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#21]
ZERO AR relevance.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top