Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2005 7:12:10 PM EDT
Would a non-chrome lined barrel hold up to all the water?

Or would bump-firing underwater take care of everything?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Good point.  And I would think that alot of the water in NO would be brakish - not straight sea water, but still salty.  And full of poop and other stuff.  I don't know if a non-chrome would hold up real well.  Another reason to keep cleaning gear and oil in your SHTF plans.  

I have a chromed upper on order from Rock River now.  Pretty long back order - 6-8 weeks.  I REALLY hope this doesn't goof with the ship time.  Rock River is in Illinois, but you never know.  

-K
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#2]
This is one of the reasons why ALL of my AR's have chrome lined barrels, the only exceptions are my target rifles, they have stainless steel barrels...

You just never know what might be in store for us in the unpredictable future... Id rather have more than not enough, I always say...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#3]
What do our solidiers do to keep their weapons in good condition when faced with wet wet environments?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:28:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What do our solidiers do to keep their weapons in good condition when faced with wet wet environments?

I believe our soldiers have weapons that pretty much with stand the harsh environments... They just clean them as needed or have the time to do so...

ETA: And before they had chrome lined barrels, they put condoms over the muzzles to keep the rain water out of the barrels.. I believe they do the same in the deserts to keep the sand out too...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:14:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Bump . . .

Anyone else wanna chime in?

So from my understanding, harsh conditions aren't too much to worry about so long as you take care of your equipment?  And, if you did have chrome you would be worry free?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:01:46 AM EDT
[#6]
NOT worry free BUT you CAN concentrate on more important matters if you need to.  Your weapon still needs to be maintained but it is not nearly as pressingif you have a weapon made of high grade steel that have rust resistant finishes, high grade aluminum and good plastics, such as the AR.

For NOLA I cannot think of a better SHTF weapon in terms of materials and manufacture than a rack grade AR my by a good manufacturer.

For me, NOLA, would NOT be the place to start saying to yourself, "Gee, I wish I had bought a Colt."

Now I am NOT saying this to bash Bushie or Armalite....but I brought that up because I nearly got into a gunfight a few years ago and I was carrying a Browning HP at the time.  
 Now, you may say, "Well, you DID have a Browning Hp...and it DID have night sights!!!  Why are you bitching???"
 I would say to you, "Yes, this is true....but all I could think of was, DAMMIT, I WISH I HAD MY 1911!!!"

The point is, I had a very decent weapon on me.  It was most certainly better than NO weapon.  However, it was a very serious situation with a very BIG, DRUNK and VIOLENT person.  The .45 would have, at the minimum, would have made me feel a hell of a lot safer.  I swore I would always have the right gun for the right job ever since.

For a shit filled swamp like NOLA...I can't think of a better gun than a PROPERLY made AR15.  However, I custom Scout Squad M1A with a custom chrome lined barrel with a fully parked and moly coated finishand matching mags would be my second choice.  Another great gun for this shithole would be the late production Robinson M96.  It's mostly black stainless steel ( a proprietary surface conversion that is nearly impossible to ruin ) and plastic and the bore is chrome lined.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top