Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2005 6:42:42 PM EDT
I recently acquired a complete CMT upper and I noticed a problem with the forward assist.  The damn thing won't budge!  Pushing moderately on it causes it to move MAYBE a half a millimeter.  

Now I could just hit it with all my force but I don't want to break anything or in some way damage the rifle.  So I figured I would ask the experts here if they had any ideas before I have to take it out and inspect it piece by piece.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Twist it back and forth and see if something is wedged inside.  It might have been installed improperly/ at the wrong angle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Twist it back and forth and see if something is wedged inside.  It might have been installed improperly/ at the wrong angle.

You mean like it was installed rotated 180 degrees off center?  Something like that?

Oh and it will twist ever so slightly both clockwise and counterclockwise, but no more than a millimeter in either direction.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#3]
drive the pin out and reinstall it, a LEO had the same problem and I fixed it for him. the FA wasnt pushed in far enough when installed so the pin caught it and wouldnt let it move. I asked him if it was a bushmaster..............he was like "How did you know?".................go figure.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
drive the pin out and reinstall it, a LEO had the same problem and I fixed it for him. the FA wasnt pushed in far enough when installed so the pin caught it and wouldnt let it move. I asked him if it was a bushmaster..............he was like "How did you know?".................go figure.

either that or its installed backwards?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You mean like it was installed rotated 180 degrees off center?  Something like that?

Like Donovan posted, it may have been to far out when the roll pin was driven in, either that or the angle could be wrong (twisted backwards).  I've seen people do both at the Colt armorer school.  

I think it would be worth knocking out the roll pin and reinstalling it.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#6]
matt, i have to say that is the best icon i have seen...cable guy haha
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
matt, i have to say that is the best icon i have seen...cable guy haha

Thanks.

And I would venture to say that of everyone who has seen it, you may be the only person (or one of the only) people to recognize it.  

I will take out the roll-pin and reinstall it and report back.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#8]
What the hell kind of roll pin punch do I need?  1/8" is too big and 1/16" is too damn small.  This is frustrating.....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#9]
You can use a finishing nail if you've got nothing else....  Just make sure you press it in partially before you try to drive the rollpin out.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What the hell kind of roll pin punch do I need?  1/8" is too big and 1/16" is too damn small.  This is frustrating.....

3/32nds
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

3/32nds

Yeah I just ordered a roll pin punch set from Brownells.  At least now I will have one of each on hand.

But it makes you wonder about why the AR was designed the way it was.  Now don't get me wrong, I love my AR and, IMO, it is an engineering marvel.  But times like this makes me wonder why it uses 3+ sizes of roll pins.  It would seem to me that making the majority of the roll pins the same size would simplify assembly and might even make manufacturing the recievers easier (as only one main sized roll pin hole would need to be drilled).  

Anyone else feel the same?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top