Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 9:02:09 AM EDT
I have started another upper (imagine that) I will probably use either a Bushmaster or RRA assy.
Any reason to choose one over the other?
Thanks,
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#1]
RRA w/uber-badass-ninjitsu-tactically-enhanced&shrouded-yup.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:12:21 AM EDT
[#2]
NO, unless your wanting to step-up in B/BC class to the LMT, no special preference between the 2 ya listed, either are quality products, IMO.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the quick response as both are of good quality I will probably use the Bushmaster as it would let one of my rifles return to All Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#4]
What? Three replys and no one mentioned COLT.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#5]
My Bushmaster M16 carrier had the key impropperly (or rather NOT) staked.  No more Bushmaster for me.  I currently have a Colt M16 bolt/carrier in my LMT.  Reccomend the same to everyone.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 DevL's reccomendation.

I would like to add CMT and LMT M16 BCG. Make sure you get the MPI marked CMT bolt because not all CMT are MPI tested. All LMT and Colt are all 100% tested.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#8]
i have never has any problems with my bushmaster carriers.

everyone has flukes here and there
i recently got a cmt and think it was well worth the money and some!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I just ordered a RRA bolt and carrier from RB Precision as a backup for my RRA LAR but have thought about the chrome LMTs.  Are there any issues with tolerances with the chrome on top of the initial spec carrier?  I have heard about an occasional person having problems but have attributed it to a tight upper.

Comments?

Thanks,

Rick

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Colt Bolt groups are the best in my humble opinion. They are all MP tested and the carriers are properly staked.

The recent Bushmaster carriers have adequate stakings, though from the looks of the CMT groups I have seen the keys do not look properly staked. They look very shallow compared to the Colts, and even the new Bushmasters. I have not seen a RRA group up close.

Be careful with older Bushmaster groups as they were not staked deeply enough, but should be fine otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
RRA w/uber-badass-ninjitsu-tactically-enhanced&shrouded-yup.

+1
5K through my RRA with no issues to report
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I just ordered a RRA bolt and carrier from RB Precision as a backup for my RRA LAR but have thought about the chrome LMTs.  Are there any issues with tolerances with the chrome on top of the initial spec carrier?  I have heard about an occasional person having problems but have attributed it to a tight upper.

Comments?

Thanks,

Rick

For a short period of time, LMT released chrome plated bolt assys but recently notified all dealers that they will no longer make them.

Almost everyone that got the chrome bolts, including me, are stashing them for future special projects.

Each and every LMT bolt assy are HPT and MPI tested.

The latest LMT M16 BCG are now coming with factory installed Crane O-rings in the extractors according to some dealers at the Equipment Exchange.

Ref. LMT Bolt thread link
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:33:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My Bushmaster M16 carrier had the key impropperly (or rather NOT) staked.  No more Bushmaster for me.  I currently have a Colt M16 bolt/carrier in my LMT.  Reccomend the same to everyone.  

Sorry, but recommending that "everyone" use a full-auto M16 b/bc in their AR15s is NOT something I'd condone.

It's one thing to have FA M16 b/bc parts in NFA firearms and quite another to have these parts in your non-NFA rifle.

Bad verbage their, IMO, even worse idea (mixing FA parts in SA rifle).

Mike
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:08:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I use a LMT, it was cheaper than BM or RRA
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:17:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I stick with RRA. I replace my bolts every 10K rounds and no RRA bolt has ever not worked, had a critical failure, or given me issues
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:28:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, but recommending that "everyone" use a full-auto M16 b/bc in their AR15s is NOT something I'd condone.

It's one thing to have FA M16 b/bc parts in NFA firearms and quite another to have these parts in your non-NFA rifle.

Mike

It has already been established by the ATF that M16 carrier in AR15 is 100% legal.  Colt ships them that way from the factory.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

It has already been established by the ATF that M16 carrier in AR15 is 100% legal.  Colt ships them that way from the factory.

Do you know when they established that? I've always tried to err on the side of safe, and was under the impression that  the M16 BC was a no-no.  That would be a nice thing to not worry about.

Even on this site, this link is a little ambiguous.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

Do you know when they established that? I've always tried to err on the side of safe, and was under the impression that  the M16 BC was a no-no.  That would be a nice thing to not worry about.

Even on this site, this link is a little ambiguous.

Here's a link of the thread that showed the ATF letter of approval for Colt, provided by team member CJan_NH.

See page two of the letter, that's where the relevant portion was stated.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?a=subscribe&b=3&f=118&t=244706&sub=Colt+M16+Carriers%3F
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#22]
I guess I should just save my money, beg my wife, and go class 3 to avoid any ambiguity.  I'm not gonna rag on people for having M16 BC's, but I think I'll just do the tungsten insert thing if I feel like I need a heavier bolt.  Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Colt, LMT or CMT M16 bcg, in that order.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Les Baer Chrome bolt and carrier,,,Sweet
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#25]
I would go with the Colt M16 carrier
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Les Baer Chrome bolt and carrier,,,Sweet

IIRC Young makes the carrier for them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I would go with the Colt M16 carrier

I would too...............
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#28]
here it is right here  nice bolt and carrier

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top