Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 8:24:48 AM EDT
I'm now trying to learn off of the situation thats happening in the gulf states and in particular, the big easy. My question is that if a survival situation may arise, and major flooding is involved, how does the AR-15 stand up against water?

I have a Bushmaster 20" A2 with no modifications, to be more specific.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#1]
tagged for when I think of a good reply related to underwater bumping...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:42:15 AM EDT
[#2]
While I never bother to read them some yahoos around here specialized in firing their rifles underwater, (although that's probably NOT what your wondering about).

IMO, one of best advantages of utilizing a mil-spec firearm for personal defense, whether it be a Garand, M14, AK or M16 is that fact that it has been tested in battlefield conditions...., a little water ain't gonna hurt your Bushmaster.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:44:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Who's got the GunSmoke (I think?) torture test video?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:53:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#5]
As long as water doesn't get into the gas tube, it should be fine.  Shooting the AR with a slug of water in the gas tube will cause it to rupture.  But that just means it won't be semi-auto anymore and become a singe shot bolt action rifle.  So if it get's dunked, point it muzzle down, pull back the bolt, and let it drain.  If you'll be in the wet, a thin film of oil over everything would be fine.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#6]
You'll probably loose all your guns in a boating accident anyway, so you don't have much of a choice as far as water goes...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top