Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2005 3:29:52 PM EDT
Have a Stag/CMT Type 2, 6 position, unmarked stock that is prety snug, but wanted to eliminate that last bit of rattle. Is there a quick & easy fix? It has the mil spec receiver extention that came with the set, maybe I'll just bite the bullet & get a SOPMOD.

Thx,
HS
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Have a Stag/CMT Type 2, 6 position, unmarked stock that is prety snug, but wanted to eliminate that last bit of rattle. Is there a quick & easy fix? It has the mil spec receiver extention that came with the set, maybe I'll just bite the bullet & get a SOPMOD.

Thx,
HS

Duct tape on the buffer tube
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#2]
It's amazing how much this question has come up lately.

Somebody posted instructions on how to use heat in order to shrink the body to fit the tube. Basically, you wrap the body in a towel in put it into a vice then use a heat gun (or other heat source) and blow heat up into the stock body where the tube would go. Once you get it hot, tighten the vice a little. Do this a little at a time until you get the fit you are looking for. I have not personally done this but reportedly this works very well?

Quoted:
Duct tape on the buffer tube

If you want to use tape, I would recommend using electrically tape inside of the stock body. Works the same but will not show or roll up on you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It's amazing how much this question has come up lately.

Somebody posted instructions on how to use heat in order to shrink the body to fit the tube. Basically, you wrap the body in a towel in put it into a vice then use a heat gun (or other heat source) and blow heat up into the stock body where the tube would go. Once you get it hot, tighten the vice a little. Do this a little at a time until you get the fit you are looking for. I have not personally done this but reportedly this works very well?

[

This does work very well. I have done it on three stocks now with great results. It was originally thought of by ICEMAN_1 and I have posted it in a couple of threads since I tried it. It is a great idea and is permanant unlike duct tape.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#4]
The temperature adjustment method doesn't seem to work on Cavarms commercial stocks, FWIW. I tried, and am currently using electrical tape on the innards of the stock; it's an acceptable solution, but still has the high potential to bind with quick adjustments. A thin epoxy coat on the inner surfaces of the stock is my expected next experiment.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:57:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the rattle, it lets you know that it still works
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The temperature adjustment method doesn't seem to work on Cavarms commercial stocks, FWIW. I tried, and am currently using electrical tape on the innards of the stock; it's an acceptable solution, but still has the high potential to bind with quick adjustments. A thin epoxy coat on the inner surfaces of the stock is my expected next experiment.

I have only tried it on Bushy stocks. The cav arms I believe are made of a different material so they may not take to being compressed with heat. The epoxy could work if you kept it smooth.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#7]
No you swilly wabbits, don't use tape... A hair drier to heat up the plastic that you pre-wrap with a thick rag, then very carefully squeeze it in a vise... It works great and only takes a minute or two
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Did you leave it compressed in the vise until it cooled?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I just did a slap rack drill onto a hard surface without teh plastic on.  Peened over the edge of the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:10:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks all, may give it a try.

HS
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:04:42 AM EDT
[#11]
velcro with an adhesive back.  The furry side.

Stick an inch on top of your buffer tube. Trim the fur until you achieve the fit / tightness you want.

Simple. Not messy.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top