Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2005 12:08:17 AM EDT
Hey all. I do not own an Ar. as of right yet, but have been shopping around for a couple months and am now to the point where I'm definitly ready to buy. I would first like to know, "what is the best AR-15"? Alot of local guys have told me D.P.M.S.,  and some have said Bushmaster. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a Bushmaster 16in M4 Type Carbine with Bird Cage Flash Suppressor w/ an A3 upper. I really love the tactical look, and would like to do some upgrades asap. I think the daniel defense hand guards look pretty bad ass. What do you think? I think the longer and more drilled out the more bad ass they look. The telestock is a must for me, and I have been advised as far as tactical shooting is concerned to go with an eotech 552 (i think) scope. I know surefire lights are supposed to the best, and that's fine with me. I would really like to get a strong laser that can be seen in the daytime also if possible. I'm pretty excited about this. I've been meaning to do this for a while but due to budget purposes can only do one project at a time. I just finished customizing my Glock 30 with a internal lasermax, threaded barrel, 3 lb. trigger. Any advice is greatly appreciated and please feel free to email. [email protected] thanks.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:25:26 AM EDT
[#1]
actually, (sorry to post twice) this is exactly what I think I'd like to end up with...

www.magpul.com/pics/kh3.jpg

www.magpul.com/pics/kh2.jpg

www.magpul.com/pics/kh1.jpg

hope its ok to use those pics.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:24:48 AM EDT
[#2]
There is no wrong answer here.  Go with what you feel comfortable with and accessorize at you lesuire.  Both DPMS and Bushmaster make a quality product as do Colt, RRA, Knight, Wilson, ArmaLite, DPMS, etc.  EOTech and Surfire are at the top of the food chain in their products and are also combat proven here in Iraq.  I've got both a 552 EOTech and a Surefire M3 Millenium on my M4A1 in country.  Go with what you like and can afford.  Don't forget good quality mags (USGI, HK and SA80) and plenty of ammo.  Enjoy your new rifle when you get it and have fun.

Here's my M4.

CD
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:04:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hey all. I do not own an Ar. as of right yet, but have been shopping around for a couple months and am now to the point where I'm definitly ready to buy. I would first like to know, "what is the best AR-15"? Alot of local guys have told me D.P.M.S.,  and some have said Bushmaster. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a Bushmaster 16in M4 Type Carbine with Bird Cage Flash Suppressor w/ an A3 upper. ......

DPMS offers a similar version (AP4 Panther Carbine).
www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=RFA2-AP4A
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:06:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
actually, (sorry to post twice) this is exactly what I think I'd like to end up with...

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:09:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hey all. I do not own an Ar. as of right yet, but have been shopping around for a couple months and am now to the point where I'm definitly ready to buy. I would first like to know, "what is the best AR-15"? Alot of local guys have told me D.P.M.S.,  and some have said Bushmaster. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a Bushmaster 16in M4 Type Carbine with Bird Cage Flash Suppressor w/ an A3 upper. I really love the tactical look, and would like to do some upgrades asap. I think the daniel defense hand guards look pretty bad ass. What do you think? I think the longer and more drilled out the more bad ass they look. The telestock is a must for me, and I have been advised as far as tactical shooting is concerned to go with an eotech 552 (i think) scope. I know surefire lights are supposed to the best, and that's fine with me. I would really like to get a strong laser that can be seen in the daytime also if possible. I'm pretty excited about this. I've been meaning to do this for a while but due to budget purposes can only do one project at a time. I just finished customizing my Glock 30 with a internal lasermax, threaded barrel, 3 lb. trigger. Any advice is greatly appreciated and please feel free to email. [email protected] thanks.

I sold my Bushmaster with KAC FF RAS to buy an LMT with DD 7.0 rail and I am much happier.  No lasers work during the day, sorry.  You have NO NEED for a laser if you have a dot sight.  I have a laser on my pistol and do not need or want a laser on my rifle.  Get a Troy rear sight.  Get a GasBuster charging handle.  Get a lot of mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:11:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

www.magpul.com/pics/kh3.jpg

www.magpul.com/pics/kh2.jpg

www.magpul.com/pics/kh1.jpg

You have any idea how heavy and specifically how FRONT heavy that rifle is?  I think if you used that rifle you might change your mind.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:59:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Bushmaster is a great brand, and definitely one of the best out there.  Generally, in my opinion (shared by many), the best brands appear to be Bushmaster, Colt and Armalite, as well as some of the smaller companies like RRA, CMMG and some others.  DPMS are fine, and make good rifles, (and I don't knwo of anything wrong with them) but often are not listed among the "top" players.

If you don't mind some advice, I'd definitely spend some time shooting (and getting to know) the AR BEFORE you stick all kinds of cool accessories on it.  If you're not getting a detatchable carry handle, I'd get some back-up iron sights (BUIS) - which you'll want to get anyway, to back up your EOTech.  Spend some time shooting the rifle with iron sights, and the stock configuration.  Then, once you can shoot well with it, start adding all the cool stuff, like lasers, optics, etc.

Just an idea.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:28:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:29:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:32:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/darowden/flock_of_sheep.jpg

You know its true.
You'd think there were not any other good brands out there.

Flame away at will.    
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:39:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know its true.

Flame away at will.    

I'd agree with the RRA part of it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#12]
wow, I really appreciate all the responses guys! I'm still not a 100% as to which rifle yet just because whatever it is it will be through the mail. The only local shop that carries AR's here is a place I used to work. They carry both bushmaster and dpms. I truly would rather haved my genitals seared off by a plasma cutter than spend two cents at JIMS GUN AND PAWN IN DSM, IA...LOL.  But I do appreciate all the info, and I will definitley take the one gents advice and get to know my stock rifle before I do add ons. I will definitley learn to completly disassemble and learn all functions, before adding on new items, so I can enjoy the difference! Thanks guys! Oh, and yes- tons of ammo, and lotsa clips! heavy.gif
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Check out some of the vendors on the EE and in the industry forums like bravocompanyusa, eaglefirearms, dennysguns, mstn, adco, quantico arms and lots of others, they have much better deals than the MSRP or mark-up you will pay at local dealers or from the manufacturers websites. You can check the feedback forum to see that they have many satisfied customers here and are standup guys.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know its true.

Flame away at will.    

I agree that there other good brands out there.. I like to only suggest the brands that I've actually had hands on experience with, not what I've read about...  Out of the DPMS, Olympic Arms, Stag, Eagle Arms, COLT, Bushmaster and RRA ive owned, I lean towards the COLT, Bushmaster and RRA as my AR's of choice...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:19:19 AM EDT
[#15]

...and lotsa clips!                          

oh SHIT! He said "clips"!           *dives for cover*
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:28:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Good thing he said that from inside his bunker...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like a great start. My only comment (and it depends on how you purchase it) is that I would go with a Phantom with a closed bottom. If you have the cash, I agree a LMT would be a better platform. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:35:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Well boys, ordered it in a few minutes ago from impact. Decided to go with the RRA Tactical entry.  Hope I made the right choice... but hey- if not I can just always buy another, then another, then another... thats what the cool members do here right? LOL. Thanks again for any and all support. Will throw pics on as soon as its here. Im also getting 10 mags (not clips, lol) and the eotech 552. My rifle is coming equiped with a hogue rubber grip and match trigger. But you probably knew that. Im strongly considering getting one of those beta 100 rd mags. What do you think? I guess my last thing is, can anyone recomend some good ammo as far as ordering in those 1000 round cases or something? take care fellas.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:48:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Well boys, ordered it in a few minutes ago from impact. Decided to go with the RRA Tactical entry.  Hope I made the right choice... but hey- if not I can just always buy another, then another, then another... thats what the cool members do here right? LOL. Thanks again for any and all support. Will throw pics on as soon as its here. Im also getting 10 mags (not clips, lol) and the eotech 552. My rifle is coming equiped with a hogue rubber grip and match trigger. But you probably knew that. Im strongly considering getting one of those beta 100 rd mags. What do you think? I guess my last thing is, can anyone recomend some good ammo as far as ordering in those 1000 round cases or something? take care fellas.

Maybe not? I think the said "cool members" build their own custom AR's That way they have exactly what they want/need right from the start...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe not? I think the said "cool members" build their own custom AR's That way they have exactly what they want/need right from the start...

Give him time.  He is just catching BRD.  It will consume him soon enough.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Well boys, ordered it in a few minutes ago from impact. Decided to go with the RRA Tactical entry.  Hope I made the right choice... but hey- if not I can just always buy another, then another, then another... thats what the cool members do here right? LOL.

Oh snap!

Don't tell _DR the flock is growing.

Oh, and cool guys don't get more than one AR. People severely infected with BRD (black rifle disease) do. There is no known cure, but you can make the pain subside by buying more AR's/parts/mags/ammo.

WIZZO

EDIT: And as far as the whole RRA owners being sheep that can't think for themselves, I built my 2nd AR out of RRA parts 2 months before I found this site. I was going on word of mouth and was pleased with what I heard and was pleased with the quality of the parts.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top