Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2005 5:14:12 PM EDT
I'm having problems installing the pistol grip on a build I'm doing, and as it's my first build I'm not sure if there's something wrong.  I have everyting put together but I can't get the pistol grip screw in all the way.  At first it would only go in about 1/4 inch or so.  I tried putting some oil on the screw working it back and forth and I've been able to get it to go in about 1/8 inch short of being home.  It's not cross threaded (my first thought), everything looks good - both on the screw and in the reciever.  I have been using the closed end of a wrench to get more leverage on the allen wrench.  I had the thought of putting the bent end of the allen wrench in a vice and turning the reciever by hand, but I don't want to break off the head of the screw - then I'd really be fooked.  

To be clear, by 1/8 inch short of being home I mean with the pistol grip installed - the grip will pull that far away from the reciever with it tightened as much as I can.  I tried threading it in without the pistol grip but I had the same problem.

I asked my Dad and he said it seems like they used a very worn tap when they threaded it. He says he can try and find one at work and re-tap it, but I would rather not.  

FWIW, it's an Olympic lower parts kit and a stag lower reciever.  

Any ideas?  Thanks for any help!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#1]
regular A2 grip or ergo etc?

is the head of the screw rubbing the sides of the inside of the grip?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
regular A2 grip or ergo etc?

is the head of the screw rubbing the sides of the inside of the grip?

Regular A2 grip.

The head of the screw is clear.

-K  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you tried using a washer or two?

Another approach is to file or grind the screw down 3/16 to 1/4 inch.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Have you tried using a washer or two?

Another approach is to file or grind the screw down 3/16 to 1/4 inch.

Damn good idea.  Thanks!  

Either way, I'll think twice about buying a Stag again.

-K
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#5]
If the threads don't go the full length of the hole , it can easily be re-tapped.

Just use the correct tap and a solid tap wrench , and some cutting fluid.
You could probably get this at a Ace hardware or Sears.

If the HOLE is to short , you should try to get a replacement lower.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Curious.  I and four of my friends built 9 with stripped Stag lowers.  None had any quality issues and assembled flawlessly. I'll be ordering 3 more Stags this week.

I'd suspect the screw is too long.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Curious.  I and four of my friends built 9 with stripped Stag lowers.  None had any quality issues and assembled flawlessly. I'll be ordering 3 more Stags this week.

I'd suspect the screw is too long.

I thought that may be an issue.  I inserted a punch into the hole and compared how far the punch went in to the length of the threads on the screw.  The hole was deep enough for the threaded length of the screw.  Even so, the pistol grip should have taken up some space and given a little bit of wiggle room if the hole wasn't deep enough.

-K    
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
FWIW, it's an Olympic lower parts kit and a stag lower reciever.  

Any ideas?  Thanks for any help!

Anyone else notice how that companie's 'lower parts' seem to be having issues lately?

In any event did you use the washer that is supposed to be used with the grip screw?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top