Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/27/2005 2:37:56 PM EDT
Just got my RRA A2 NM. Elevation and windage sights are 1/4MOA. There are no numbers marked on the elevation knob.

I am going to assume the elevation knob should be one click above bottom when the gun is battle-zeroed at 36 and 300 yards.

Anybody out there dealt with this?

Doug
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The reason there are no numbers on the wheel is because these sights are supposed to be used differently than standard battle sights.

I don't know why anyone would want a battle sight zero on a target rifle.

I mark my elevation drum with a paint mark on the first complete click off the bottom.  That is my elevation mechanical zero.  Then I go up 15 clicks up.  From there I shoot it from the bench at a 100 yard NRA highpower target using a six o'clock hold.  I adjust the front post until I am in the ten ring and leave it there.  Then I adjust with the elevation drum until I get consistent X ring hits.  I then click back down to MZ and count.  That becomes my 100 yard  zero for a 6 hold.

I leave the bench and go to the KD range where I shoot prone at 200, 300, and 600 yards.  I use the 200 yd come up estimated by a ballistics program for my chosen load, and dial it in.  I shoot prone at 200, adjusting the elevation drum until I am centered.  I then click back down to MZ and count clicks.  That becomes my 200 yd 6 oclock hold zero.

I repeat for 300 and 600.  I write all those final come ups on my data book and the rifle is ready for competiton.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#2]
With the elevation on NM sights the way we do it is to start with 3 or 4 clicks above the bottom and zero at 100yds with the front sight post. This will give you the full range of elevation and still be possible to go lower at 100yds to fine tune your loads.

The wheel is not marked because if you turn the wheel upside down, you will have 1/2 elevation clicks, a nice feature only found on R.R. If you adjust your 1/4 sights as stated above, 20 more clicks will put you at 300yds. (approximately as rifles are individual due to thread pitch variances at front and rear as well as variances in aperture machining, FSB etc.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#3]
After reading your post again, I think what you are doing is trying to figure out where you are to start with. If this is the case, it will depend on where your front sight post is set. If you are trying to set it up with battle sight settings, 1/4 NM sights are a bad way to do it for several reasons. If you must use them, you should reverse the elevation wheel for the 1/2 clicks. (you still will have way to many clicks to deal with) If this is what you are doing, you would be better off with a standard size aperture or at least the larger NM one R.R. makes.

Here are some ball park come ups to get you on paper with your 1/4 sights, of course bullet weights will vary and will have to be worked out for your rifle:

#1 from a 100 yard zero come up 2 minutes for 200 yards      8 clicks

#2 from a 200 yard zero come up 3 minutes for 300 yards      12 clicks

#3 from a 300 yard zero come up 12 minutes for 600 yards    48 clicks

#4 from a 300 yard zero come up 7 minutes for 500 yards

#5 from a 500 yard zero come up 5 minutes for 600 yards
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, gentlemen. That clears it up a lot.
Doug
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top