Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2005 2:12:14 PM EDT
Hi, just wondering is anyone making any kind of reduced force  or lighter pull springs
for Rock River Arms 2 stage NM trigers?
thanks
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:23:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't mess with the springs.
Send it to White Oak for a tune-up.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:47:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Don't mess with the springs.
Send it to White Oak for a tune-up.

Big +1 on that one.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:15:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys,
I have had white oak do a trigger for me before but doesn't he have a minemum he wont
go under like 3 1/2 or 4 1/2?
I  would actually like to get mine down around 2 1/2 to 3.
I don't compete in matches this would be mainly target for target shooting.
JP makes spring sets for standerd triggers, as long as RRA's 2 stage NM triggers
been around someone has to have other spring sets for it don't they?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#4]
What does your trigger measure now for the 1st and 2nd stage pulls?

I installed one RRA NM trigger that had a 1st stage of 40 to 44 oz., and a hardly detectable 2nd stage.  The disconnector was just barely kissing the hammer before firing.  That light a pull will contribute to inadvertant doubling which does NOT help your group size at all.  After smoothing the disco/trigger interface at the rear the doubling was cured, with the pull now a consistent 44 oz.  Personally I would only have use for this light a trigger on a scoped HBAR.

The last I installed(thanks Pete!) has a total weight of between 4.5 and 5 pounds.  My gauge stops at 72 oz.  But the 1st stage is about 32 oz. or so with enough movement that there is a larger safety factor present.  The final 3#'s in the 2nd stage feels more like a nice 3# single stage.  Safe, smooth, SWEET and no doubles.  You can hold the 1st stage back all day long without tiring, and drop the hammer with 3 more pounds.  An IPSC/3 gunner type at my range felt is would be great for "gaming".  Out of the box, with zero tinkering, it is NM legal!  OUTSTANDING.

Somewhere between these two is "ideal" for most of us.  The 1st example could easily have the 2nd stage pull weight increased.  The second example could easily have the 2nd stage pull weight LIGHTENED.

I think even if you get a trigger "pre-tuned" to a specific pull weight, depending on your specific receiver geometry and hammer/trigger pin spacing, some pull weight variation is inevitable.  I am almost 100% positive if I reinstalled either trigger in a different lower the measured weights would change.

DON'T CHANGE SPRINGS.  That could cause failures to fire with hard primers.  Proper reset of the FCG between shots also depends on the trigger spring having enough tension to return the trigger fully forward in a specific manner.  HTH.

Paladin
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I have to agree with the don’t mess with the springs side of things.
Keep in mind that the hammer in the RRA NM 2 stage is half as light as stock.
So therefore it needs a good spring to be able to throw it fast and hard enough
To ignite the hard primers of the ammo.

I have read many an article on this board regarding triggers and so on.
The majority seem to fall back to the stock trigger groups for reliability and accuracy believe it or not.

So my advice let a smith do some metal work on the group but don’t play with the springs.

Remember this aint no bolt action weapon here
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I have used the JP yellow (reduced strength) springs with an RRA 2 stage trigger with no problems.  I shoot only handloads, so have no "hard primer" concerns.  

The RRA was not tuned prior to using the springs, so I can't comment on how a tuned trigger would work.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I use Yellow Tavern Custom Shoppe springs on my RRA trigger.I haven't had any problems with them.I did have them on a 9mm carbine and there were some light primer strikes.SJR556.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually, I'd like to INCREASE the opull - any ideas for speings there
(Nothing wrong with the WOA NM RR. To the contrary - there OK, but I think I'd like to try a little more).
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks for all the reply's,
the trigger is brand new un touched, it's going into a new build.  thinking i'll
leave it as is and probably send it of to White Oak  for a tune up. last tuned trigger
I had from White Oak was set at about 3 1/2 but over time I found myseld wishing
it was even lighter than that. is nice to see there are some other springs out there
for it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top