Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/27/2005 5:40:13 AM EDT
I just don't get you guys.  After the sunset on the ban last year I was looking to buy something that was as close to an M4 as possible.  At the time, almost everyone on this board was saying Bushmaster.  That is what I stuck with and evertually got one a couple of weeks ago.  Now people are going back to Colt and others such as RRA etc.
I guess it is possible for QA to slip at the factories but I don't see how that could happen much to black mark them.

I also understand that some people  shoot crap like Wolf and expect to blast 1000 rounds without any problems.  This may lead to people saying that  xxx brand of AR is not all that great.

So my question remains for those that have shot a variety of ARs, what do you believe is the best AR in terms of overall build quality, realiablity, fit and finish, etc.  Be honest.  Just because you have 3 Colts doesn't mean they could be the best.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:47:21 AM EDT
[#1]
And the race is on!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:57:39 AM EDT
[#2]
as a Colt, Bushmaster, LMT AR owner, I think they all pretty much make great products

On an overall view, Colt would be the #1 due to the warranty (Life) and QC measures on mission critical components.

But Bushy and LMT (and RRA and Armalite for that matter) have it down

Bushy has surely become a big timer and now has the full AR experience covered as a company. Accessories, modifications, upgrades, you name it........they have it all under one roof

Colt doesn't and doesn't seem to care, or make an effort.

However, I think quality-wise it is clearly Colt

But for the civilian AR guy looking for one stop shopping........it is Bushmaster

[ramble off]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:00:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's a recent poll thread about three months ago.

1. Colt 39.1%
2. Bushmaster 30.14%
3. Rock River 20.57%
= CMMG  20.57%
5. Armalite 4.68%

491 Total Votes

Who makes the best? thread link
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:09:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Redfisher,
I do agree with you about colt not offering everything under one roof and not seeming to care about the civilian market.  They have the military contracts and therefor I would expect them to have the best overall build quality... i guess.  It is a shame that they do so too.  There are probably a ton of people here that would buy more from colt if they didn't turn their backs on the little people that want a certain model but is only deemed as LEO.  I myself would have probably bought a Colt too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:16:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
as a Colt, Bushmaster, LMT AR owner, I think they all pretty much make great products

On an overall view, Colt would be the #1 due to the warranty (Life) and QC measures on mission critical components.

Bushy has surely become a big timer and now has the full AR experience covered as a company. Accessories, modifications, upgrades, you name it........they have it all under one roof

But for the civilian AR guy looking for one stop shopping........it is Bushmaster

[ramble off]

thats all colt barely cares about where bushmaster covers the whole gun with QC
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:48:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[ramble off]

thats all colt barely cares about where bushmaster covers the whole gun with QC

Oh, Paleeese, Bushie covers the whole gun in QC? I agree that Bushie does offer more in accessories then Colt. But Bushie has more problems with QC then Colt does by far. If you added all the military, Govt and LEO weapons together along with Civi sales, then did a QC stat, I'd bet Colt would come out on top. For Civi, Bushie make a excellent AR at a good price point, a better point then Colt by far, but their QC is hit or miss on stupid stuff like FSBs being on straight and such, and it's a new BBL time to fix it properly. Price for price, and availability being equal, if Colt and Bushie were exactly the same which one would outsell the other?  If there are several hundreds of dollars difference, which one? Exactly, and thats the way it is, and I don't have a problem with it either.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Best ...to me...means value to dollar ratio

-CMT all the way
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:34:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Price for price, and availability being equal, if Colt and Bushie were exactly the same which one would outsell the other?  If there are several hundreds of dollars difference, which one? Exactly, and thats the way it is, and I don't have a problem with it either.

Unless I misunderstood - I believe your logic is flawed (It sounds like you are saying that the fact that Colt costs more, and people still buy them, somehow PROVES they are better quality).

By that logic, American cars should be just as good as Japanese cars, because they sell jsut as well.     If it wasn't for blind brand loyalty, or fierce "buy American" stubborness, several of the U.S. automakers would be bankrupt now.

Problem is, people buy ARs for all kinds of reasons UNRELATED to quality.  Colt charges a premium - in large part - because people are willing to pay a premium for the Colt name, and because people BELIEVE they are somehow magically better.

Are Armalite's worth more than Bushmaster's too?  They sure as hell weren't when they were called Eagle Arms, but change the name, QC the finish and fit a little better, add chrome lining to the barrels and throw in a largely unecessary warranty - and suddenly people are paying several hunderd dollars premiums.  Your argument certainly wouldn't hold for Armalite - I've met MANY people who brag about their Armalite being "the original" AR manufacturer, and they clearly paid more for it partly for that reason

So - the fact that one manufacturer is able to charge MORE than another for essentially the same product, does not automatically mean that it is a better product.  There can be many reasons.

But if the question is quality - then I do AGREE that Armalite and Colt are right up at the top, along with Bushmaster and RRA - and a few of the smaller players like CCMG, etc.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#9]
IT NEVER FAILS! The war between the Colts, Bushmasters, and RRAs is an ongoing one. Some would be led to believe that these are the only ARs manufactured. Guys, believe it or not, there are others: Armalite, DPMS, Olympic Arms, Stag Arms, DS Arms, Fulton Armory, and a few more. These manufacturers I just mentioned are building quality ARs as well. Some of them are as good as, if not better, than BM, Colt, and RRA. There are some that are almost as good, but good weapons nonetheless.

I personally own a DPMS Panther Carbine, of which I am perfectly pleased with. I would venture to say that the fit and finish is as fine as any Colt (M16A1, M16A2, and CAR) I have ever used. I would not waste my hard earned money on something I thought was substandard. I am getting ready to buy my second DPMS (AP4 Panther Carbine) over an RRA (Entry Tactical). The primary reason is that DPMS stocks some of the various accessories I want on the weapon (and at a good price), as where RRA does not. To me, there is a lot more to buying a quality AR than just the rifle.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top