Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2005 12:48:05 AM EDT
Hey, i was just curious if DPMS is a good company to get an AR from.........and if this if a good deal. I appreciate all that you guys have to say.......thanks to all in advance.

www.impactguns.com/store/DPMS-RFA2AP4AAP4.html

Eycee*                    
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:37:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Excellent rifle, and excellent price!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:10:35 AM EDT
[#2]
This is an excellent weapon. This happens to be the exact rifle I bought over the Bushmaster and RRA versions of this model. Mine came with the full HBAR complete with chrome BC and barrel along with ambi controls for about 100.00 more than the price you listed. DPMS makes an excellent gun and is certainly comperable to any other manufacture for the money. Much is made about the name game and roll marks, but all of the top tier weapons are excellent. If it isn't a KAC, then its second best....JK, all of the major makes produce excellent rifles and DPMS is no exception to this, nor is RRA or Bushmaster. I couldn't justify paying more for a rifle that had less features I wanted. Doesn't make any sense to me. I have been completely satisfied with my gun and have had no problems to report. Two things worth mentioning about DPMS 1. they tend to have thier tolerances, as far as chambers, on the tight side as they feel its a good way to acheive a improved level of accuracy and this could cause some issues until the weapon is broken in. Your manual will offer further details about this. I had no problems associated with this. Also, DPMS sells receivers and people build guns that will look identical to DPMS factory guns using DPMS parts but will not necessarily have the same quality level or the warranty. Impact Guns is an excellent firm and you will be pleased with them, but if you decide to go with a used DPMS remember to call in the serial number to make sure it is actually a DPMS factory gun. This is an awesome gun and you will love it as I love mine. good luck.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:10:44 AM EDT
[#3]
DITTO! I just spoke with Dillon at DPMS the other day about ordering the same model except with several modifications.

A.R.M.S.® #58M MOD
A.R.M.S.® #40L SP Rear flip up sight with same plane aperture system
A.R.M.S.® #50 Top Rail
SureFire M900A-WH Vertical Foregrip WeaponLight, with built-in A.R.M.S.® Throw Lever mount
LMT SOPMOD stock(Black)
YHM Single Point Sling Mount (Snap Loop)
PRI Flip Front Sight Gas Block Assembly
Trijicon TA-31 ACOG 4X32 Scope w/ TA-18 A.R.M.S.® #19 ACOG Throw Lever Mount for ACOG® scopes
Badger Tactical Charging Handle latch
Panther Flash Hider
First Samco G27 Tactical Grip

I have to order a few things that they do not carry, but they will build the weapon to my specs with what I need to send them. I currently own a Panther Carbine (RFA2-PCAR) with the following:

Accessories:
A.R.M.S.® #51 CV A1A2 S.I.R.® System
EOTech Holographic Weapon Sight -Model 512A65
Streamlight® “Scorpion” Tactical Light
Fobus Tactical Light Mount
SpecterGear® M.O.U.T. Single Point Sling (Black)
GG&G Sling Adapter
VLTOR Carbine/collapsible Modstock - Model# ACK-2S (Black)
Wilson Combat Tactical Latch
Hogue Grip
DPMS CNC Aluminum Vertical Grip (black anodized)

The DPMS line of ARs are well worth the money. Great weapons at a great price.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:05:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Great gun,great price,I was just looking at that agency carbine on impacts website that comes with an eotech,surefire rail,surefire light and the price isn't bad.Now I have gotta do the math and see if it is really worth it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:04:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I have 2 DPMS rifles and they shoot well and perform well. I took one to a Tac Rifle class and put over 1000 rounds through it in 2 days and had no rifle malfuntions. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:01:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I was actually going to get the Panther Lite carbine from Impact guns for my first AR, but ran across a post ban bushmaster here at the same time.  They seem really nice, and the panther lite post ban was $650 at impact guns.  can't beat that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Pretty much the info I was looking for. I'm thinking of building my lower and adding an upper and I kinda wanted to know where to start. I've been looking at DPMS lowers and a stripped one is pretty reasonable.Thanks fellers!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanx for the information guys,

I was under the impression that DPMS was not a good brand and had alot of problems, well according to the gun shop near me that is, he was telling me that they have alot of problems and not the best rifles for the $$$ and then he would push a Bushmaster and say now this is a great weapon,......yeh im sure but the price differnece was pretty significant.

Well i guess the guy just wanted to sell me something more expensive........So i'm going to look more into DPMS because by what you all are saying it is not a bad gun........so i may consider buying one as my first AR.

Thanks to those who contributed there knowledge and experience............i'm always open to listen and learn knew things.

Eycee*                      
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanx for the information guys,

I was under the impression that DPMS was not a good brand and had alot of problems, well according to the gun shop near me that is, he was telling me that they have alot of problems and not the best rifles for the $$$ and then he would push a Bushmaster and say now this is a great weapon,......yeh im sure but the price differnece was pretty significant.

Well i guess the guy just wanted to sell me something more expensive........So i'm going to look more into DPMS because by what you all are saying it is not a bad gun........so i may consider buying one as my first AR.

Thanks to those who contributed there knowledge and experience............i'm always open to listen and learn knew things.

Eycee*                      

Good for you Eycee.

I love my DPMS rifles, they are just as good as my Colts
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
DITTO! I just spoke with Dillon at DPMS the other day about ordering the same model except with several modifications.

A.R.M.S.® #58M MOD
A.R.M.S.® #50 Top Rail
SureFire M900A-WH Vertical Foregrip WeaponLight, with built-in A.R.M.S.® Throw Lever mount
LMT SOPMOD stock(Black)
Trijicon TA-31 ACOG 4X32 Scope w/ TA-18 A.R.M.S.® #19 ACOG Throw Lever Mount for ACOG® scopes
Panther Flash Hider

I have to order a few things that they do not carry, but they will build the weapon to my specs with what I need to send them. I currently own a Panther Carbine (RFA2-PCAR) with the following:

Accessories:
GG&G Sling Adapter
Hogue Grip

When you get your hands on that, do you mind taking a few pics of it?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#11]
That is one thing that I have planned to do. My wife and I have been procrastinating on buying a digital camera. I am going to have to break down and do it. I keep telling guys about the weapon system I have with nothing to prove it. The guys at work get to see the weapon first hand. I even had one guy I showed the Panther Carbine to on Wednesday say he was going to go home and slap his wife because he did not have one. As soon as I get my Accord sold, the order is going in for the AP4. I will post some pics as soon as I can.

Quoted:

Quoted:

A.R.M.S.® #58M MOD
A.R.M.S.® #50 Top Rail
LMT SOPMOD stock(Black)
Panther Flash Hider

Accessories:
GG&G Sling Adapter
Hogue Grip

When you get your hands on that, do you mind taking a few pics of it?

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:49:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Doesn’t sound like you need another testimonial, but here is my two cents worth. I always wanted a DPMS Southpaw for my first AR. During my Vietnam days I resented the hot brass deflecting in my face or down my collar. Found a no ban 20” A3 Southpaw upper on GunBroker.com and won the bid. Added a DPMS complete lower for $200 and had to work through few problems….mostly ammo and I am very pleased with my $600 AR. It shots ½” groups at 100 meters and is a tack driver at 50 meters. If your interested in a good contact for DPMS products...email me and I will share that information.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:01:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow, that is a nice price for that rifle.  Go for it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Doesn’t sound like you need another testimonial, but here is my two cents worth. I always wanted a DPMS Southpaw for my first AR. During my Vietnam days I resented the hot brass deflecting in my face or down my collar. Found a no ban 20” A3 Southpaw upper on GunBroker.com and won the bid. Added a DPMS complete lower for $200 and had to work through few problems….mostly ammo and I am very pleased with my $600 AR. It shots ½” groups at 100 meters and is a tack driver at 50 meters. If your interested in a good contact for DPMS products...email me and I will share that information.

Email sent to you catusbill

hope to hear from you

thanx,

Eycee*                  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I have one on order from Impact right now!  Just have to wait for Impact to get the rifle (backordered   ).  I will post a range report when I get mine (HOPEFULLY SOON!!).
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:38:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a Colt Sporter Hbar a2, and a LEO 6920 along with the exact DPMS you're considering.  If anything, I like shooting the DPMS more than the Colts.    Bought mine at a gun show here in Portland for $789 and I'd say it's a great gun at a really good price.  Fit and finish is easily as good or better than on the "Pony" guns.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:18:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I have DPMS lowers on all of my AR's and I couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have one on order from Impact right now!  Just have to wait for Impact to get the rifle (backordered   ).  I will post a range report when I get mine (HOPEFULLY SOON!!).

Did you get your rifle from impact guns yet??  What did you order???

Eycee*              
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Did you get your rifle from impact guns yet?? What did you order???

I ordered the same rifle you linked too and no I haven't recieved it yet! I just sent them an e-mail to find out when it is coming in! It's been about 3-4 weeks so it should be in soon!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#20]
No DPMS has a chrome lined barrel, it simply is not an option....if you aren't looking for a chrome lined barrel AR, then DPMS is the way to go
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Did you get your rifle from impact guns yet?? What did you order???

I ordered the same rifle you linked too and no I haven't recieved it yet! I just sent them an e-mail to find out when it is coming in! It's been about 3-4 weeks so it should be in soon!

Well as soon as you get it let me know how it is please because i am strongly considering getting it.

i'm sure you will get it soon..........good luck

hope to hear from you soon,

Eycee*                        
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Well as soon as you get it let me know how it is please because i am strongly considering getting it.

i'm sure you will get it soon..........good luck

hope to hear from you soon,

I hope it comes in soon! I will definately keep ya posted!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Although I prefer chrome lined steel barrels, I'd say that's a very fair price.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:57:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:40:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I hate jumping in on everyone else's thread, but I must correct a couple of you guys on here.  DPMS does make chrome lined barrels, and we have for some time now.  They are an optional upgrade on any of our HBAR, AP4 and government profile barrels, and can be added to any rifle or barrel assembly order for an additional $32.00.

Any questions, please contact us

Adam
Law Enforcement sales

show me where it says chrome lining Adam in this webpage: www.dpmsinc.com/223.asp or this one www.dpmsinc.com/10Browse.asp?search=assemblie  under any of the upper assemblies
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#27]
what's this?

Q. Are your barrels chrome-lined?
A. We offer the military contoured barrels (namely the 20” Heavy Barrel, the 16” Heavy Barrel, the 16” M-4 Contoured Barrel and the 14.5” M-4 Contoured Barrel as well as the 11.5” and the 7” short barrels) are chrome-lined. Chrome lined barrels are an additional $20.00.

www.dpmsinc.com/faq.asp

where did the extra $13 come from?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:54:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
what's this?

A. We offer the military contoured barrels (namely the 20” Heavy Barrel, the 16” Heavy Barrel, the 16” M-4 Contoured Barrel and the 14.5” M-4 Contoured Barrel as well as the 11.5” and the 7” short barrels) are chrome-lined. Chrome lined barrels are an additional $20.00.

www.dpmsinc.com/faq.asp

It says $32.95 now.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I found a mention of chrome-lined under "FAQ", but no word of it along side any of the many, many guns...  May want to consider advertising it a bit more... Just a suugestion.  :)

A. We offer the military contoured barrels (namely the 20” Heavy Barrel, the 16” Heavy Barrel, the 16” M-4 Contoured Barrel and the 14.5” M-4 Contoured Barrel as well as the 11.5” and the 7” short barrels) are chrome-lined. Chrome lined barrels are an additional $32.95.

Charlie 31
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:It says $32.95 now.

Immediate price increase due to recent interest! :)

Charlie 31
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Good gun and good price.  I am a big fan of the DPMS 308s.  Although, Armalite is still awsome.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:02:36 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:It says $32.95 now.

Immediate price increase due to recent interest! :)

Charlie 31

Definitely plausible.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Hey, i was just curious if DPMS is a good company to get an AR from.........and if this if a good deal. I appreciate all that you guys have to say.......thanks to all in advance.

I have a DPMS DCM rifle.  I am very pleased with it.  I have shot both Bushie and Armalite DCM guns that I traded off for various reasons (usually I wanted a new toy, and I stopped competing b/c of my job schedule).  The DPMS gun is every bit as good as either of those, and my new rifle has a bayo lug and flash hider (very useful in DCM competition in case you miss one, you can run up to the target and kill it the old fashioned way).

I think DPMS is a great company to deal with, and they are very friendly.  They make great rifles at a good price.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#34]
+1 on DPMS AR's . I have 4 AR's . 2 DPMS's 1 Colt and 1 Bushmaster . Both DPMS's and the colt have been 100% reliable and the DPMS's have a higher fit and finish than the Colt . The Bushmaster has had some reliability issues . You will not be dissapointed !!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top